43rdMichael workbench update

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author
43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

43rdMichael workbench update

Post by 43rdMichael »

This is just an update on a range of Tameo kits that are in various stages of assembly at the moment. I didn't set up a the photo box, so some of the colors are a but funny (reds in particular) but I'll take better photos when these are finished....

First up is an F93. This has had the final clear coat sprayed, but still needs a polish. Most of the subassemblies (except the seat) are waiting on the body painting. This one should be finished for a show here on the weekend after next....

Main work on this kit was to reshape the nose (longer and narrower then the kit parts) and open up the airbox and the naca ducts in the engine cover. I'll add small radiator sections into the naca ducts before final assembly.

Topic author
43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

RE: 43rdMichael workbench update

Post by 43rdMichael »

Next up is the SilverLine Jordan EJ11.

This was a car that I have wanted for a long time and when the kit arrived, I just had to get started!! Again, hoping to have this done for the show, but with the body decals only just having gone on, there is a lot to do in 12 days.... Eeek!

Anyway, the kit is great. Simple but well detailed. There is a problem with the decal sheet in that you only get one "200" logo. SilverLine are printing and distributing extra decals, but I bought a second kit so I could keep progressing. The body is still a little rough as I've yet to clear coat and sand, but this gives you an idea of how it'll look.

If you look inside the airbox on the next picture, I cut a small strip of decal to give a sharp separation of the black and yellow. I'll paint the rest of the inside of the airbox after the clear coat is on.

I love the shark mouth!!!! :-)

There was a question in another topic about the extent of parts build up before painting. The following picture shows the parts I've left off the car to be painted separately.

The only real modification I've made to this car is replacing the etched exhaust pipe with a section of tube. The filing still needs to be smoothed, but the pipe looks much better I think.

I've assembled and painted the uprights and brakes. Modellers carbon decal on the ducts.

A collection of random detail parts, ready for final assembly

Last edited by 43rdMichael on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Following are some pictures of the Italian GP MP4/22. Very early stages, but this shows the partially opened chimneys, the (still to be sanded) milliput blending the kit parts together, and the sections of brass i am working on to replace parts of the aero details. A long way to go on this one.....

Topic author
43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

...and finally, a couple of Ferrari's that I'm chipping away on.

First an F2004. This has been 'in the works' for several years. I just pick it up and sand and file some more every so often. Should finish it one day....

and a Brazil gp F248F1. Schumacher's last ride. Again, just fiddling with some of the parts. I've replaced the venting with brass and thinned down a few sections, but again, a long way off done.....

The Lotus 56B is also on the go, but there hasn't been any real progress since the last update so no point in re-posting...

As always, questions/comments/suggestions most welcome.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Nice stuff Michael and looking forward to seeing some of these at Expo. That Jordan looks fantastic, what an eye catcher. Great work.
Cheers,
Shayne

JohnnyFerrari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by JohnnyFerrari »

Wow Man Awsome stuff, I love the Jordan.. Keep up the great work..

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

michael looks great. you're much more ambitious with the thinning of some of the parts than i am. also your work with the brass parts is impressive especially on the 248. on the F2004 i'm working on i even opted not to open up the chimney vents (gasp!).

the one thing i would like to do is replace some of the exhausts as you have done. what metal tube are you using and where did you get it and how do you cut it? (if you don't mind).

Topic author
43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Yes, having a lot of fun with the Jordan. A few late nights ahead, but hopefully it'll all come together.

Mr G, yeah, sometimes I wonder why I put the time into all the thinning. Probably 60% of the time it takes me to build one of these is spent before a drop of primer is sprayed. Once they're finished, the go on the shelf and from more than a foot away, you'd never know the difference. Oh well...

The exhaust tube is from Zmodel. Can be ordered through GrandPrixModel (just search for zmodel products and it will come up). I think 1.8mm scales out about right. I'd run out, so am using 2.1mm here. The square cuts are done with a razor saw, but for the angle, I just held the pipe and filed until I had the angle I was after.

Gooch
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Dave Sans
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Gooch »

Michael you have some Great looking builds there. I see what you done with the brass parts on the MP4/22 I think is going to make it a lot easier to paint that way might have to give that a try myself. Is the brass the same thickness as the white metal? Also what did you use to fill the seem around the air box on top of the engine cover?
Regards,
Dave

RyanJ
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by RyanJ »

wow. very cool. anyone else have some pictures of their workbenches? everyone elses work is so much better than mine!!!