WIP: Ferrari F310b, Francorchamps 1997

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
westra
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

WIP: Ferrari F310b, Francorchamps 1997

Post by westra »

I know Im not the first to build the F310b, but I have special memory's of this car. In 1997 I was there and can remember the downpoor just before the start. After the race had started behind the safetycar Schumacher was in a leage of his own threasing the other competitors and of course won the GP. Im trying to take the model to the IPMS in october (Nieuwegein, Netherlands) and that will also be a first, just like this. OK, let's begin.

I started with the "nose-job" and jobbed it richt off.

I filled the opening in the bulkhead with 1mm plasticard.

The refuellingcap in Francorchamps is like Monaco on the right-side of the car. I drilled the innerside out so it won't interfere wile painting. I will also replace the outer ring with pe from acustion.

I thinned the rear part of the difuser just a little bit and installed the starterhole.

The airintakes for the radiators were next. I removed the electronic boxes and filled them again with plasticard and putty. Paper from a cigarettebox were glued on and painted black. I used this method to replicate the rough texture and come out pretty well. After that they were both cf-ed and painted with Humbrol matt clear.

That's it for now, thanks for watching.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

RE: WIP: Ferrari F310b, Francorchamps 1997

Post by Jeff »

Hey, that's a cool tip to get the rough texture on the CF, thanks! It looks very realistic.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

RE: WIP: Ferrari F310b, Francorchamps 1997

Post by SteveNoble »

Side pods look great, brilliant method.What brand/type of carbon fiber did you use on the side pods?
Steve Noble

Topic author
westra
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by westra »

I used Scale Motorsport Hi-Def Carbon Fiber 1/20th (1520HD) on the side-pods, but to get the scuffed look spray-paint the carbon with matt-clear.

DerXL
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Axel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet, Kamui Kobayashi
Netherlands

Post by DerXL »

Hi

Nice start on a nice model.
I'll be keeping an eye for this one in Nieuwegein.
With a bit of luck (and hard work on my part), I'll be showing some models of my own.

Good luck with your build, and I'll be watching your progress.

Topic author
westra
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by westra »

I only had time for the dashboard tonight. Removed all the molded buttons and switches and drilled holes to take some rivets that will take there place. After that I sprayed gloss black and put the CF on. It isn't finished yet. The buttons and switches have to be painted, but here's the work so far. I also drilled out the steeringcolumn and replaced it with alu.tubing.

Eric Westra

Topic author
westra
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by westra »

After looking at some detailpics I saw that the pedals are actually quite visible. So I tried to make them out of different alu-sheet. I think it turned out ok.

Topic author
westra
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by westra »

Just made a little progress the past few days. For rearsuspension I used a modified peace from the Tameokit (1/43) to replicate the little holes. It will be painted black and after that the holes will be made visible by slightly drilling them out.

Some bodyparts recieved the white primer.

I was a little bit fedup doing small things, so I started with the undertray. I painted the "plank" with a paintbrush in different shades of brown.

DerXL
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Axel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet, Kamui Kobayashi
Netherlands

Post by DerXL »

The plank looks convincing.

This is shaping up to become a great model.

Topic author
westra
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by westra »

Just made a little progress today. The underside with the pedals is glued to the body. The bulkhead is closed with a piece of tape, wich will be taken out after painting.

Both barchboards are thinned. The front barchboards have a new slide and this slide will be closed by some plasticcard.

The rear bodywork has had some treatment to the innerside to get a rough texture. I made with tissue and de-canned primer.

Before I can spray the undertray I had to make the supports for the undertray. I made them with a little wire and metal tubes.

In a few days my holiday starts so I have plenty of building time on my hands.