CBartholomew4677 : Jordan Honda EJ11 (2008 Group Build)

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2008 Group Build.

eejay13
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by eejay13 »

Looking good.

Thanks for sharing.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Hello All,
It's been a log time since I posted, I warned you all I am slow (building and posting). I have been wokring on this, thought, so here goes.

I got the body cleaned up and finally all together, with all the white metal, then primed a couple times. I decided that I will use white primer as the final primer, however I gave a couple light couple of light grey primer to start. I think it's better for finding imperfections, and also, when the final yellow goes over the white primer, and then clear-coated, there tends to be a "burm-through" of the clear down to the grey primer in the panel lines, so it gives a subtle sense of depth without having to wash the panel lines. I found this out by accident when doing the BAR003.
I've cleaned and primed all the white metal and begun to make the buttons and switched for the steering wheel (still needs a lot of work). A really quick pic, and will post more soon.
Cheers,
Chris
Attachments
Jordan Honda EJ11 Body Side 4.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 Body Side 4.JPG (351.51 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Jordan Honda EJ11 Steering Wheel 1.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 Steering Wheel 1.JPG (129.66 KiB) Viewed 645 times

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Neat. Please keep the updates coming!!

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

Cool! Yep, what Michael said...
Image Image

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello Again!!
I know, I know, amazing, two posts in two days!!
At any rate, I have a few small things to share.
I decided that I was going to do CF for everything visible that is CF on the car, save for the suspension. So, I finished the CF templates, simply made from Tamiya tape, laid on the part and cut to correct shape. I try to segment the pieces into what I think will lay down well and how it would be laid up in the real car as best as possible, in order to control the fiber directionality.

I have decided that I will use F1 Specialties CF for the wings, as their pattern and color seems to match best the pattern on the real car per my references (F1 Modeling, R.I.P.). I will use Scale Motorsports Hi-Def (1/24 & 1/20) for all other areas. I've used SM many times, and I really like his products, but I've never used the Hi-Def ones. They look great, so I'm looking forward to it.

The picture of the CF templates has a small scale in the lower right if anyine would like to print and use this for themselves. I can also copy and snail-mail to you if you'd like, p-m me and we can set it up. I have templates for others I've built too, if anyone is interested.
I hope all are well out there.
Cheers,
Chris
Attachments
Jordan Honda Wing CF 2.JPG
Jordan Honda Wing CF 2.JPG (297.01 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Jordan Honda EJ11 CF Templates 1.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 CF Templates 1.JPG (330.06 KiB) Viewed 655 times

DerXL
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Axel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet, Kamui Kobayashi
Netherlands

Post by DerXL »

It seems you got your work cut out (haha)...

Which reminds me. I still have to start my build. And I too will have to do lots of CF-ing.
Looking forward to the end result.

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

I started spraying some paint on mine yesterday.
I wanted to use some Yellow fluo paint from Tamiya but 2 things : It's thick, and you'll need a lot of layers onto some TS26 white to get the job done.And it means Grey then white primer 3 layers of white and then 3 layers of yellow.That means a lot of paint not to lose details.
So I put some TS47 chrome yellow and then Sprayed 2 thin leyers of fluo yellow. It give a acidity, very lemonic color, but not a fluo tone. Not too close from the original, but when you see some pics on the net, it's between the ecid yellow and fluo yellow.Even if the minichamps model I have home looks more fluo than the EJ12 and 13....
WHAT IS YOUR PLAN ?

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Manu,
My intention is to finally use Tamiya Chrome Yellow, in the following order :
Tamiya Light Grey Primer (3 coats)
Tamiya White Primer (3 coats) [I'm here right now]
Tamiya Pure White (2 coats)
Tamiya Chrome Yellow (4~5 coats)

All light coats should prevent from destroying the panel details. I rescribed the panels initially pretty deep and pre-drilled all the fastener holes in anticipation of many coats, so I think it should work out OK.
CF decaling is on-going, making good progress actually. I'll post pics when I have a chance.
Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
I warned you that I’m slow to post, but I’ve actually been working on the S27 Jordan Honda EJ11. I have a lot to report, so here’s the latest status:
Body:
Yellow paint has been laid down (4 coats). Next steps are to paint the black under the nose, put on the black “fin” decals, overcoat in TS-13 clear and polish it out. The yellow went down well, 2 mist coats (15 minutes between), then 2 heavy coats (48 hours between).
Floor:
I finished the cf decals for the floor and sealed them with Model Master’s Metallizer Sealer. I like this as a sealer for CF decals because it’s lacquer, so it beds the decals down well, and is more of a satin finish than TS-13.
Cockpit:
Seat : Seat is finished. Seat is Tamiya Matte Black, with cf decals along the outside surfaces. Seatbelts are from Red-5. The hardware is good, but the belt material is not so good. I bought a set of belt material from e-bay a bit ago, only $10, and comes with about 8 different colors. I can’t seem to find a name on the package, but this stuff is really good, should last me nearly forever, I recommend it. “Schroth” badging comes from a MFH set.

Steering WheelSteering wheel is done. Kit part was lacking quite a bit so I made a few changes. I shaved off the “buttons”, which were molded into the kit part and drilled holes to replace them. I heated some plastic sprue, stretched it to the right diameter for the buttons, and cut them out. I made the rotary dials from the tips of a plastic comb and p.e. washers from Scale Hardware. I added some styrene sheet for the triangle shape in the top center, missing from the kit part, but on the real one. I also added the LCD display in the center.

The p.e. shift paddles were damaged from the beginning, so I had to make new ones. Not as good as the originals, but good enough for what can be seen.

Wheels and Tires:
Wheels and tires are done (pictures don’t show the tire valves, but their on there now). Wheels are standard S27 fair, machined aluminum rims, white metal centers. Tires are the older S27 type, with the mold-gate flash still there, so it was cut away, and the tires spun on a Dremel with sandpaper to clean them up. I’m really happy with how the Bridgestone decals turned out. The sidewalls/decals were handled as such:
1) Block off the wheel with circle of styrene sheet and tape cover the tire-road contact surface.
2) Mist coat of M-M Metallizer Sealer
3) Apply decals with Micro-Sol to snug them down.
4) Mist overcoat of M-M Metallizer Sealer (I almost stopped here, but it was too shiny).
5) Mist overcoat of Testors Dull-cote.
There is almost no carrier film to be seen, looks like the letters were painted on, I’m very happy with this process and will use from here on out.

OK, that oughtta do it for now. I hope everyone out there is doing well, and projects are moving along. I hope you enjoy and I look forward to seeing how you all are doing.
Cheers,
Chris
Attachments
Jordan Honda EJ11 BIY 6.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 BIY 6.JPG (322.14 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Jordan Honda EJ11 BIY 5.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 BIY 5.JPG (244.51 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Jordan Honda EJ11 BIY 4.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 BIY 4.JPG (322.63 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Jordan Honda EJ11 BIY 1.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 BIY 1.JPG (299.97 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Jordan Honda EJ11 Floor 5.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 Floor 5.JPG (306.87 KiB) Viewed 589 times

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

OK, sorry, but a few more pictures relating to the above. I don't post so often so I've gotta live it up right??
Cheers,
Chris