CBartholomew4677 : Jordan Honda EJ11 (2008 Group Build)

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2008 Group Build.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

CBartholomew4677 : Jordan Honda EJ11 (2008 Group Build)

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Hello All,
OK, here I go. My Group Build subject is the Studio27 Jordan Honda EJ11 : Australian G.P. 2001. I've never actually put up a WIP for a project, just the pictures at the end, and I'm slow, so updates may be a little far-between.

This is my second resin kit to date, the first being the S27 BAR Honda 003, from the same year, ironically. My first review of the kit shows that it's standard S27 issue, resin body, floor, seat and "gear-box", white-metal for most all other parts. Rubber molded tires and machined aluminum wheel rims, centers from white-metal. Decals look good. My first trial shows that the body and floor don't quite line up, so there will be a bit of sanding to get these lined up perfectly, not so tough though.

Similar to my BAR, I'll add CF decal wherever appropriate, but I'm still debating to do the floor/underbody. I did this for the BAR, looks great, but a pain to make patterns. I'll probably do it, using the BAR patterns as much as possible.

Although the Jordan yellow was darn near fluorescent in real life, I think this would be too "vivid" in 1/20 scale, therefore, I will use Tamiya TS-47 (Chrome Yellow). I've used this on other kits, and it will do the trick nicely here. I've always used white primer under yellow. Can anyone tell me if this is best or light grey is better?

In a rather wordy explanation, that's my plan. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone else is doing.
Cheers,
Chris

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

RE: CBartholomew4677 : Jordan Honda EJ11 (2008 Group Build)

Post by 43rdMichael »

Really excited to follow this one Chris. I just love the shark design on this car (my favourite of all the Jordan animal themes) and also like the combination of a long straight nose and the rounded sidepods. Pretty car.

Excited to see this one come together

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

RE: CBartholomew4677 : Jordan Honda EJ11 (2008 Group Build)

Post by Manu »

Just got one on ebay last week. Can't wait to start it so it 'll go with my 12 and 13 on the shelf.But this one was Fluorescent yellow normally. As on the pics or the minichamps models.
Good luck !!!

Should I join here or do another thread?

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

Nice choice Chris, will look forward to seeing this one come together.

Manu, I'd suggest starting your own thread so you can really make it your own.
Image Image

eejay13
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by eejay13 »

Great choice! Really looking foward to the progress and completed pics.

Thank You guys in advance.

jhott66
Spectator
Spectator

Post by jhott66 »

I am finishing up with this kit right now. NIce kit. I had a hard time with the front wing.
It's actually my first S27 kit, I build almost exclusively 1.43 stuff. I've found the S27 stuff to be adequate. I think it because I can build some interesting cars in a bigger scale. Overall, IMO there is no comparison between the quality of the S27 and the 1/43 Tameo. Tameo's stuff is AWESOME!

Originally I painted it a fluorescent yellow from MCW. It did not look right. Like you said, too bright for 1/20. I used the Tamiya yellow and am very happy with the result. I used a white primer with Tamiya white undercoat. Shot straight from the car with no problem. Looks OK.
I've never posted pics on here but I'll try to post some pics of my 66% complete EJ11.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Good to hear from you all. Manu, I would recommend you to start a separate thread as you build rate is considerably quicker than my own, and you'll have me log eclipsed in a hurry.

OK, I've decided to use Tamiya Chrome Yellow with a white primer undercoat. I also will do the full chassis/floor with CF decals. I'm thinking to use Scale Motorsports High-Definition type, as I've never used them before, and they look good. I've used the standard SM CF decals, and I am a big fan, any opinions on the newer High-Definition type?

Other than that, no real progress at this time, just prep work.
I look forward to seeing how averyone is doing.
Cheers,
Chris

jonouk1
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by jonouk1 »

Hi I currently have For Sale the Studio 27 EJ11 kit in the classified section if anyone is looking to buy one.

Cheers,

Jon

seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

another great looking car for the group build. I loved those yellow Jordans!

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Here's the latest on the Jordan Honda EJ11.

I got the resin body all cleaned up, panel lines scribed, suspension hole redrilled, etc. I also took a Dremel tool to the airbox intake to give it some more depth, it looks better in the end when it's painted this way. I added the front wing pylons, and the the rear white metal flip-ups. I puttied and blended them both in, then realized I needed to fill in the leading edge of the rear white metal pieces to the resin body. I thought there was a body line there, but further research showed otherwise. I cut down the front wing pylons to match the correct wing height. Seems S27 over-estimates on these most of the time, or just gives us plenty of room to work with.

I've started to clean up the white metal pieces. Takes a long time, and this may be the one thing I don't like about mm kits, so much preparation......but done well, the kit looks good in the end. Here's a few pics for you all. I hope all are well out there.
Cheers,
Chris
Attachments
Jordan Honda EJ11 Front 2.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 Front 2.JPG (197.01 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Jordan Honda EJ11 Body Front 1.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 Body Front 1.JPG (395.5 KiB) Viewed 812 times
Jordan Honda EJ11 Body Rear 1.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 Body Rear 1.JPG (385.03 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Jordan Honda EJ11 Body Bottom 2.JPG
Jordan Honda EJ11 Body Bottom 2.JPG (424.78 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Jordan Honda EJ11 Side 1.JPG