steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Re: JR Salvinos IndyCar

Post by steinietrabi »

indycals wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:58 pm I do see some minor mistakes on that build - for some reason they did not use the decals I sent.
Let's not die stupidly. I think you're much more of an expert on INDY than any of us... 8)
Greetings Thomas

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thomas, I´m afraid the german expression "lass mich nicht dumm sterben" translates bad (literally) into english! :D it sounds kinda more tragid than what it means :lol:
Apart note, one of the nice things of this forum is seeing the sooo different use of our languages we make. :mrgreen:
I bet what you meant was "please enlighten us, Michael".
And yes, In Michael we trust :D

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

JamesB wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:02 am Thomas, I´m afraid the german expression "lass mich nicht dumm sterben" translates bad (literally) into english! :D it sounds kinda more tragid than what it means :lol:
Apart note, one of the nice things of this forum is seeing the sooo different use of our languages we make. :mrgreen:
Yes, I added it more or less thoughtlessly. But I'm glad you understood it and were able to translate it better. Thanks for that. :mrgreen:
Greetings Thomas

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

steinietrabi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 am
JamesB wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:02 am Thomas, I´m afraid the german expression "lass mich nicht dumm sterben" translates bad (literally) into english! :D it sounds kinda more tragid than what it means :lol:
Yes, I added it more or less thoughtlessly. But I'm glad you understood it and were able to translate it better. Thanks for that. :mrgreen:
James, thanks much for the clearer translation into English. I tried copying the German phrase you quoted into Google Translate, to see what if it was any clearer there, but it said "don't let me die stupid"! :lol: :lol: :lol: . Your translation reads much more elegantly than literal Google was. :wink:

Thanks,
Cameron

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

Greetings Thomas

Ffracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Mercedes
United States of America

Post by Ffracer »

Definitely something to work with. I'm interested to see it at NNL East tomorrow. I guess it's time to start hoarding references.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

flashman wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:45 pm James, thanks much for the clearer translation into English. I tried copying the German phrase you quoted into Google Translate, to see what if it was any clearer there, but it said "don't let me die stupid"! :lol: :lol: :lol: . Your translation reads much more elegantly than literal Google was. :wink:

Thanks,
Cameron
steinietrabi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 am Yes, I added it more or less thoughtlessly. But I'm glad you understood it and were able to translate it better. Thanks for that. :mrgreen:
You are both welcome!! :mrgreen: as they say, it's good to be of service! :D

To be honest, guys, my knowledge of german is terribly limited, let alone to grasp this in "reverse translation" I do detect the modisms that come from spanish, sure (I sometimes observe that some patterns also match german and curiously japanese) and also italian or french, due to listening to so many drivers.
But in this case it was thanks to the fact that time ago, a german friend with whom I exchange emails, said that and I was so surprised I had to ask :lol: :lol:
It's something that does not cease amazing me, the weird expressions we use in our languages. Some longer in words such as german, french, spanish, do have intricated word tricks, and then english is amazing in the way expressions change by adding some preposition of conjunction.
Yes I am a freak fan of grammatics and etymology! :lol: :lol:

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

Greetings Thomas