About making you own...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

1/12 BRABHAM BMW BT52 and... (CMM)

Post by JamesB »

No, no pics and anything yet :D
But couldn’t resist starting the thread.
So “gentlemen, Well, let's not start sanding each other's wheels quite yet” :lol: as the Wolf would say.
I am receiving today the big Brab our fellow Michel sold me and I will post pics of it and whatever I build with it.
It’s good that quite rare stuff gets covered here for everyone to enjoy.
Updates in a few hours 8)
BR
James

woodgp
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: j.wood
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: williams
Canada

Re: 1/12 BRABHAM BMW BT52 and... (CMM)

Post by woodgp »

fantastic can't wait to see everything ...love that bunch of cars , and Mr Murray continues to put out great cars

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Good luck James.
I have build 2 CMM models over the years.
It's something for a real crazy modeler.
The resin is hard as a rock. Nothing I ever had before and the level of detail is...... not existing.
But with hard work, lots of 2k putty and even more putty you will get a nice little model.
If you want to punish yourself than this is the right subject.
Will keep an eye on you. You are a brave man when you build this to an end

Regards Christian
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Good luck with that build if it happens! :D
Take a stand!

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Ok thanks for the good wishes.
Christian knowing you,ve be en thru this vía crucis encourages me :lol:
Hey your Papaya Mac did look great :D
Ok let,s let the pictures talk :mrgreen:

Weeeelll… where to start!
Yes crude shapes, accuracy looks as you,d be happy with, in a cardboard scratch build… resin as CHristian tells is hard, probably becaused it,s mixed with some Stone powder to make it cheaper.
I left a small part fall to the ground to test it and yes it broke
Parts, masters I mean, are madre with a filament printer and finished with what looks like… chalk? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Anyway, writing from the tablet which is quite uncomfy so more tomorrow 8)
BR
James

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

James - you are brave!
CMM did some interesting subjects in 1/12, they 'just' need lots of work!
Malc.

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Oh dear...I would feel ashamed selling something like that. WOW

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

haha, Thanks Malc! :lol:
Well, going a bit deeper and with a suitable keyboard, let´s go. 8)
I´ve read "detail inexistent" and that´d be quite fair.

The brakes a re a joke, a mock up of parts that, straight from memory, have little to do wit what the BT52 used.
All looks as cast in plaster and heavily sanded both before casting (on the master) and after (on the parts).
So simply those parts are a write off, fortunately a bit of wirk can produce easily better parts.

The wheels, oooh dear... :roll: :shock: :cry:
Obviously tyres are a straight copy of Protar´s 126C2 ones. That would not be so terrible if they were "a good copy", even an improvement on them but seemingly they were passed thru mud or "tempura" before making the molds. And yes they have the raised GreedYear letters.
Ah, wait!!! :lol: :lol: the BT52 ran on MICHELINs :roll: As they are the 126C2 ones, fronts are 15" which happened in some 1982 races, but NOT in 1983.
Rims, solid and blended with the tyres. That would be not that bad if it were not that they seem glued with mud again. They are done with thread 3D printer and you can see the thread.
So wheels are a write off too. Better fit your own ones and forget them.

Wings are a bad joke too. Specially front one, you van see the layers of plastic it is made of, then the loads of super glue. No graceful wing cross section or whatever. There´s not even a try of reproducing the flaps hinges, quite visible on the BT52. Needless to say, flaps solidly attached to the main wing.

Suspension elements have a nice idea in them. There are built in metal rod within the resin cast parts. The problem is that this will make almost impossible to make holes on the bar ends, that might allow to use some kind of hinge, that of course is not supplied. Also impossible to attach a rod that protrudes and allows glueing to the body. Not sure the quite flat holes that you see on the body will hold on.
The body is in two parts. As on a Burago or a Minichamps or Vitesse. Flat bottom with lower lips of sidepods plus a quite rudimentary cockpit, and the rest is upstairs. There´s no split between the upper body and the chassis sides. And NO panel lines.
So it´s gotta be a curbside. Impossible to carve the body or whatever. Even less with a material that, as CaprisScorch said, looks like stone.
The body itself, meh...
I have not had time to check the dimensions, but with naked eye (I´ve worked a lot on the BT52 shape) I´d say the shape is not quite achieved, there are hard edges, simplified horizontal surfaces where you´d rather have smooth curves, the quite critical fuel cell body is too simplified an unaccurate... ufff..... :roll:

Decals look nicely printed though I think they are on self adhesive paper. No problem, I have my own ones ready to print.
Ah! of course no blue red pinstripes or whatever.
The gearbox and the turbo and exhausts... well better I say nothing!! :shock: :mrgreen:

Veredict?

I most probably will keep the main body part, will work on it, Will make a more decent flat bottom (that will make it something different to a shel breaker, I hope :lol: ) and will use my own wheels, brakes, suspensions, wings and decals.
Not sure if I´ll keep it as BT52A or will make the B, honestly.
That´s all so far boys, thanks for reading!! :D
BR
James
PS: I would like to underline. :wink: no bitter feelings for having bought it. I did know what I was buying, and suely did not plan to keep more than the main body. I considered the price according to what it was, otherwise I would not have grabbed it :D I got it also as an "archaeologist" interest item, I really wanted to see one of those from short distance.
And that said, the kit was sent well protected, fast, safe and at reasonable shiping cost.
Last edited by JamesB on Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

john-w
Midfield
Midfield

Post by john-w »

Hello,

good luck with that build, this kit is a great challenge :D

Here is a link to my BRM P153, maybe there are some tips.

viewtopic.php?t=19636

John-w

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thanks John, your builds are always inspiring, a classic and even an institution :D I like the way you always display them "on location" BTW.
Yours is one of those builds I´ll have in mind. I saved the pic of parts you posted :lol: :wink:
BTW I think the BRM is a better kit by the mile.
For any chance did you also get their 126C3? or was it a C2B?
Thanks for the "ánimo" :D