2024 F1 season ahead

Post away...

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: 2024 F1 season ahead

Post by bossy122 »

Well, on the upside; I get to enjoy Ferrari for another year. I'm really going to enjoy Sainz V Ferrari.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

I`ve never noticed such behavior before, but don`t you guys think that there is something wrong when drivers announce their exit before or even the season has just started??
Seems like all is about the money, and that`s killing the sport. Just my 2 cent`s on it...
Take a stand!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

gp-models wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:12 pm I`ve never noticed such behavior before, but don`t you guys think that there is something wrong when drivers announce their exit before or even the season has just started??
Seems like all is about the money, and that`s killing the sport. Just my 2 cent`s on it...
I think the issue is Ferrari making the announcement. I don't think its killing the sport, but I'm not sure exactly the sentiment you mean here (i.e. you think the series will stop competing, or its an annoyance.

I can assure you that there are at least 10 pre-contracts signed, this second, we don't know about. Many will have clauses that won't ever be triggered, such as their driver leaving, or another stipulation occurring on the team. Some will be triggered though. We aren't typically aware of the contract going ons, and its also how every driver on F1's podcast who didn't drive for Ferrari was able to say they were "this close" to signing a contract.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Anyone watched Formula 2 Races? The Spoon-wing upsidedown at the rear, how horrible! Like a Parachute, this is "drag racing", ehh :mrgreen: !

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

stubeck wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:39 am
gp-models wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:12 pm I`ve never noticed such behavior before, but don`t you guys think that there is something wrong when drivers announce their exit before or even the season has just started??
I think the issue is Ferrari making the announcement. I don't think its killing the sport, but I'm not sure exactly the sentiment you mean here (i.e. you think the series will stop competing, or its an annoyance.

I can assure you that there are at least 10 pre-contracts signed, this second, we don't know about. Many will have clauses that won't ever be triggered, such as their driver leaving, or another stipulation occurring on the team. Some will be triggered though. We aren't typically aware of the contract going ons, and its also how every driver on F1's podcast who didn't drive for Ferrari was able to say they were "this close" to signing a contract.
You missundestood my pointing,
I know that contracts have been done all over the season for decades, but the point in comparsion to nowadays is the way of "announcement".
What to expect from this? Very simple:
1. What to expect from a driver which announced at the beginning of a season to switch the team? Not very much in my opinion.
2. Same for the team, do you think they supply the newest material to such driver? Surely not.
What does that mean to the fans around? You expect nothing, no matter if driver or team, which only can end up boring like past has prooven.

About money killing the sport, it happens through out every kind of sport, don`t know if you have realized it, the more money is around, the worse it gets for the fans.
You have problems to watch F1? Ask yourselve why! When you have to pay only for watching it, how much hardcore fans around willing to pay for it, exept the times quali and race is happening.
Also the ammount of money a driver alone can earn, it is a team sport, maybe i`m oldschool, but this is not the way to go on.
To me it`s quiet simple, with such news and behavior, the sport can only kill itself finaly.....
Take a stand!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Sorry that I didn't clarify my point. We've seen pre-announcements in the past. Button to Williams (twice, once he wanted to go, once he didn't), Montoya to McLaren, Sainz to Ferrari, all before the season started.

I only meant to add the unannounced bit about contracts occurring to show that it is not out of the norm.

I understand that for many, F1 was on over the air tv for decades. Unfortunately here in the US I think the most we ever got was 2-3 races a year, and often those were on tape delays. So its hard for me to say whether the sport is being hurt as I'm not in an area where I have any exposure to real changes.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Understand your point, but it never happened in the past to the begin of a season, not realy smart from the team/driver finaly.
Well, the last years, about 3 or 4 maybe, don`t know for sure, the races have been free to watch, but it was also the starting point of F1 going down with increasing numbers of races. can`t beleive that we have 24 races this year! This can only hurt the sport, not much will be willing to spent their entire weekend infront of a tv i guess.
I remember very different numbers which have been more likely to follow, throw stones at me, but to me there should be a limit of 16 races a season.
Take a stand!