BAR Honda 007 (2005 Japan GP)

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Daniel Ricciardo.
Australia

BAR Honda 007 (2005 Japan GP)

Post by fastbackfreddie »

Hi all,
I have recently started this Studio 27 BAR Honda 007 (2005 Japan GP). I always liked the Lucky Strike livery, and have always liked Jenson, so seemed like an obvious choice.
In hindsight, an earlier car with less complex aero bits might have been a better choice, but anyway....nothing like challenging yourself I guess :lol:
This is my first WIP, so please bear with me. It is also my first full multimedia kit, so a learning experience all round for me.
Some members have already been helpful in identifying some mystery photo etch parts.

Right from the start I realised that this was not going to be straightforward. A missing part, broken part, vague instructions...I am learning quick!
The color of the tobbaco logos are suspect also. The round circle should be a light khaki/olive green, but they are printed more of a light tan. I will live with that. I have a feeling that could be the least of my worries as a dry fit mock up has highlighted some issues with front suspension alignment. I will deal with the suspension when I get to it.

So first thing I see when opening the box is the broken aero splitter in front of the windscreen area:

It was soon rectified easily enough with some scrap styrene:

The aero devices in front of the sidepods looked a bit thin in photo etch, so I made them a bit thicker by adding some styrene sheet to them:

I think they look a bit better now:

Then I decided to attend to the missing part. I had a few unsuccessful attempts in contacting Studio 27 for a replacement, so gave up. Easier to just go ahead and make it myself. It didn't take that long to make in the end. The scrap material came from the left overs of the old Monogram Scarab. Perfect thickness :D

The body and floor have had all the mounting holes drilled and parts test fitted:

All of the parts have been sorted out, cleaned up and test fitted.

And it seems such a shame to have to paint these wheels, but it will have to be done:

I am at at the stage now where I can begin priming the parts. Still a lot of good painting weather ahead here so hopefully more updates soon.

Weirdly for all the little niggly issues so far I am rather enjoying the process. Definitely some satisfaction to be had in solving them. I am sure there is to be more ahead :lol:

Cheers all,
Tim

woodgp
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: j.wood
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: williams
Canada

Re: BAR Honda 007 (2005 Japan GP)

Post by woodgp »

great start , yes the extra work is the fun part , making little things, fixing mistakes etc .... modelling at it's best
enjoy the experience ...cheers mate

wastgate
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari.
Italy

Post by wastgate »

studio27 resin appare very rough

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Looking forward to your progress!
What kind of problems with the decals do you have? Wrong coloured?
Can you post a picture of those, maybe i can help as i have a couple of tobacco spare decals, just need to know the size you need.
Take a stand!

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

It is rewarding to solve a problem, makes you feel you really accomplished something. Nice start and I look forward to seeing more.

Topic author
fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Australia

Thanks everyone for your encouragements :D

gp-models wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:06 am Looking forward to your progress!
What kind of problems with the decals do you have? Wrong coloured?
Can you post a picture of those, maybe i can help as i have a couple of tobacco spare decals, just need to know the size you need.
A geniune body fragment shows the color I feel it should be closer to.
Like I mentioned, I am not getting too hung up on it as I would need to match the colour of quite a few other decals.
To answer your question:
Decals J and I = 34.5mm dia. (x2)
Decal H = 10.5mm dia. (x1)
Decal M = 8.5mm dia. (x5)
Decal G is not required.

Thanks again. Tim

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thank you for information, still have 35mm, 12,7mm and 9,3mm here left over in a better colour then the kit decals. Original they have been made to match 1:18.
They match the colour of the sticker better then the kit ones, but you should have to mix a matching colour for the other body parts that way and spray them.
I can put some pics here in to show you the colour, but i don`t know if the size will fit and match the scale as i only have those sizes in my stash.
Take a stand!

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Thanks for starting WIP. Not many of those recently here. Multi media kits do provide extra challenges compared to plastic kits.
But solving those challenges provides extra satisfaction in return. All learned skills will be helpful in the future too. Looking forward for more
progress. I also like late BAR cars and this driver.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Great job on fabricating the missing part yourself, great to see a good old Studio27 1/20 resin WIP, haven't seen one of those for a while!

Topic author
fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Australia

gp-models wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:56 am Thank you for information, still have 35mm, 12,7mm and 9,3mm here left over in a better colour then the kit decals. Original they have been made to match 1:18.
They match the colour of the sticker better then the kit ones, but you should have to mix a matching colour for the other body parts that way and spray them.
I can put some pics here in to show you the colour, but i don`t know if the size will fit and match the scale as i only have those sizes in my stash.
Thanks for the offer. I will work with the kit ones, but if I need them as a back up I will make contact. Thanks. Tim