Topic author
PTR
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams & Ligier
United States of America

Senna - Netflix series

Post by PTR »

Netflix is putting together a mini series on Senna. Due out this fall it seems like. His family is involved so hopefully it will be well done.

dingo07
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: DJ
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Re: Senna - Netflix series

Post by dingo07 »

I watched one on the F1TV app on AppleTV the other day

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Didn't the movie already cover everything?

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Well... that´s a topic you can always add stuff on. Also new unreleased footage...
Anyway a good lesson I learned from Villeneuve Pironi one, is that you can make better if you tell the story from at least both sides (assuning there´s only two) of the story. Senna movie was quite, quite one-sided IMHO.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Interesting. I wonder what is motivating the production of this movie? This year will be 30 years since his passing. Maybe, timing?

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

I agree with James B, the Senna film was a bit bizarre in its Senna & Brazil against the world bias. It would be nice to see after thirty years a proper assessment of Ayrton. IHO he was a brilliant talent, but he corrupted the racers ethic with his thuggish on track antics. Had the FIA put the clamps on on his behavior when he came into F1, they wouldn’t need to officiate driver conduct they way they do now. Back in the day, the drivers had respect for each other. Senna changed everything, the drivers in the junior formula’s (Michael Schumacher, etc) saw him getting away with the BS he pulled off and assumed they could too.!

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

ronnie1972 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:09 am I agree with James B, the Senna film was a bit bizarre in its Senna & Brazil against the world bias. It would be nice to see after thirty years a proper assessment of Ayrton. IHO he was a brilliant talent, but he corrupted the racers ethic with his thuggish on track antics. Had the FIA put the clamps on on his behavior when he came into F1, they wouldn’t need to officiate driver conduct they way they do now. Back in the day, the drivers had respect for each other. Senna changed everything, the drivers in the junior formula’s (Michael Schumacher, etc) saw him getting away with the BS he pulled off and assumed they could too.!
Finally someone puts into words part of what I've always thought about Senna - and I'd go a few steps further - he was an entitled arrogant prat and despite all the spirituality that people claim he had inside he could be cold and a real narcissist.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Honestly I never was too much of a fan of Ayrton´s, all the mystical stuff was a bit too much for me.
The ruthlessness? I remember a quote by late James (Hunt, not me) saying that "Senna had the backmarkers with the lesson well learnt, by scaring them".
Not sure that tactics and elbowing got worse from that moment due to Senna. I´d rather think that we started watching in board camera footing and sins had more witnesses :wink: But probably that Senna-Prost episode and how FIA acted (they managed to look biased in favor of Prost first, Senna afterwards) marked a turning point.
An insider of 250cc bike racing told me that someone advised a certain 250 rider to teach a lesson to another one by taking him off the track in a sector of the circuit where there were no cameras :lol:
Anyway I´ll try to watch the Senna series. As for Steve´s question, well I assume every year that ends in 4 will bring something related to Senna.
yes ronnie :D I also expect it´s something with a wider variety of opinions. The former one was a commercial. The Villeneuve-Pironi one, instead, was a good piece of journalism.
BR
James

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

JamesB wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:15 am An insider of 250cc bike racing told me that someone advised a certain 250 rider to teach a lesson to another one by taking him off the track in a sector of the circuit where there were no cameras :lol:
BR
James
Always fascinating to hear directly from someone who was there competing against or working with the "superstar". I have it on very good authority that Hamilton is a very entitled and somewhat deluded chap for example. The stories about Danica Patrick are quite something too.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

You're going to hear that about most racing drivers. They're risking their life every weekend to drive in circles, but what I've found over the years is if you're a fan of the driver they're ruthless, and if you aren't they're an *****. The reality is everything is both.

I doubt much was meant by it, but lets make sure to not make chauvinistic comments about drivers. No racing driver has gotten a ride needing millions of dollars of sponsorship because of who they supposedly slept with.