2002 Arrows A23 rear suspension

Ask away....

Topic author
robdebie
F2
F2

2002 Arrows A23 rear suspension

Post by robdebie »

I just listened to a nice interview with Heinz-Harald Frentzen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHj-0R ... l=FORMULA1

From 1h02m to 1h09m he tells a very interesting story about suspensions. When he drove the 2001 Prost AP4, it had a problem at the front, that they / he could not figure out. When he drove the 2002 Arrows A23 there was a similar problem, but at the rear. He (they?) figured it out after a few races with the Arrows: on the Prost it was the vertical position of the steering arm, halfway between the wishbones, and at Arrow it was a similar problem at the rear. It apparently worked as as a very stiff anti-roll bar. When they changed it, it gave a 1.5 second improvement in tests. Very impressive.

I went looking for photos of the 2001 Prost AP4 front suspension, and indeed the steering rod is about halfway. But photos of the 2002 Arrows A23 are impossible to find. But maybe someone here knows of one? Also: I don't understand yet what he tells. Anyone?

Rob

Topic author
robdebie
F2
F2

Re: 2002 Arrows A23 rear suspension

Post by robdebie »

Forum member Sean (via a PM) suggested this YouTube video, showing the previous year's Arrows: https://youtu.be/kBbGQBaVT4g?si=Qdy2iMx-94F3qT3F

I made two screenshots, and indeed they show the track rod halfway between the upper and lower wishbones:

The pictures fit Frentzen's description exactly I would say.

In the mean time I haven't figured out the technical side. Anyone?

Rob

BullittStang
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Joe
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nigel Mansell
United States of America

Post by BullittStang »

On a side note:

Heinz Harald is one of the best follows on social media for an F1 driver. Put any picture or video of him in one of his cars, and more likely than not he'll respond with some insight about that particular car or team or event. Go check him out on Twitter and IG (and if you're lucky, he might follow you back like he does me in IG).

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Thanks for sharing the private message!

Not a super technical answer, but I'm assuming having it helps reduce the movement of the suspension laterally while staying aerodynamically sound still.