Paint Cracking - M@r!b*r* Fluorescent Red

Ask away...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Paint Cracking - M@r!b*r* Fluorescent Red

Post by JamesB »

Same here: always tick both boxes: enough time plus No brand/type mix. You ticked first one, not second. And it’s not a phenomenon restricted to fluo paint, could happen with any. Sorry

Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

I am the latest victim of cracking flo paint on a McLaren! Have done many Macs before but this time my misted coats of Zero M@r!b*r* Red on my M26 went horribly wrong for no obvious reason. A festive session of de-masking, paint stripping and starting all over again awaits over next few days. Something to look forward to….

Odd thing is that Zero White had gone down well so I think primer was indeed properly dry.

Pot luck I guess but would love to hear about any other suggestions anyone has for ensuring a better result second time around!

Happy Christmas!

BullittStang
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Joe
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nigel Mansell
United States of America

Post by BullittStang »

Have you given the layers enough time to gas out? The paints from Gravity, Scale Finishes, Zero, et al are all automotive basecoats, and they absolutely need at least 10 to 15 minutes minimum to gas out between thin layers.

When I first started using automotive basecoats, I used the same technique that I had learned with lacquers, 2 mist coats followed by 2 wet coats with 5 minutes between coats, and learned real quick that automotive basecoats really do not like that.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Hugeprong wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:34 am I am the latest victim of cracking flo paint on a McLaren! Have done many Macs before but this time my misted coats of Zero M@r!b*r* Red on my M26 went horribly wrong for no obvious reason. A festive session of de-masking, paint stripping and starting all over again awaits over next few days. Something to look forward to….

Odd thing is that Zero White had gone down well so I think primer was indeed properly dry.

Pot luck I guess but would love to hear about any other suggestions anyone has for ensuring a better result second time around!

Happy Christmas!
I buy plastic spoons to test on now. I keep paint longer than I should, but even paint that's new sometimes have issues. I'd rather know on a spoon then on the model there is a problem!

jaws
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: JAWS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Driver Lando Norris/ McLaren
United States of America

Post by jaws »

With Derek on the mixing of paints. Just not a good idea and more often than not causes issues. Anytime you are unsure indeed do the testing with spoons.
Another thought to this cracking is if the paint was fully mixed up. Came across this using MR Color Neon paints on some MotoGP wheels.
Cause for your issues of cracking is hard to be 100% sure. But again try using some Gravity Colors pure white.
FIX is not going to be fun either wet sanding or a full on strip and redo.
Recommend you document what you did and the steps taken during the process for future reference. Having a log of what you do and use is handy.
Good Luck on the project!

high510
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by high510 »

Yup, just lost my 1976 M23 to cracking. Two months after completion, after decals (which are hard to find), etc. Gonna leave it on the shelf to look at at 2 meters... I did this one well, but no mood to redo. All Tamiya colors. Primer, White spray and the Fluo Red.

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

So after deciding to never use TS36 again, even though I personally love the coke and initial finish, the cracking months later is devastating

I used Splash mp4/4 on my MP4/2C, but the finish is too pink, to me not right, even though no cracks no issues

Used same method with Zero mp4/4 over the auto primer that I use for everything, multiple mist coats, this time on Meng plastic , crazed after 3rd or 4th mist coat

Now using Home Depot marking flouro red and so far no issues but we shall see

I even tried mixing Ts-49 with the Tamiya flouro orange 50/50, and that cracked too, amazing really, when you paint so many colors

And yes I mix brands, never had this many problems with this paint

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

.......my Gaia paints still havent cracked on either Mac I used them on.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I've had great results with Mr. Color Fluorescent red - and unlike most, it is semi-gloss, not flat.

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

bossy122 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:29 am .......my Gaia paints still havent cracked on either Mac I used them on.
The same to me. Still perfect looking.

There was some sort of test some years ago which fluo red is the best.
Gaia has won.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com