FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

New Rule on Selling Non-Physical Items

Post by f1m »

HI,

I am instituting a rule that only physical items may be sold in the Classified Ads section - no 3D files, image files, etc. - only physical items - kits, decals, actual photos, etc.

As there is no method to verify the origin of files, there is no way to determine if they are original to the sender or copied from elsewhere.

No posts advertising such virtual items are allowed anywhere in the Forums. Moderators should be notified if such posts are made and they will be removed without warning.

Thanks,
Eric
Last edited by f1m on Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: New Rule on Selling Non-Physical Items

Post by eyckles »

Hi Eric,

That’s a great idea. I fully support it.
Best regards,
Lesley

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Good move. I've noticed some slippery use of 3d files. (not necessarily here, but in the model building hobby in general)

arshadvally
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: arshad
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: redbull Ferrari
South Africa

Post by arshadvally »

f1m wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:13 pm HI,

I am instituting a rule that only physical items may be sold in the Classified Ads section - no 3D files, image files, etc. - only physical items - kits, decals, actual photos, etc.

As there is no method to verify the origin of files, there is no way to determine if they are original to the sender or copied from elsewhere.

No posts advertising such virtual items are allowed anywhere in the Forums. Moderators should be notified if such posts are made and they will be removed without warning.

Thanks,
Eric
I'm guessing this was because of my posts I could have verified that the car is mine as I could have showed you the original rendering but I do understand your point of view

arshadvally
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: arshad
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: redbull Ferrari
South Africa

Post by arshadvally »

indycals wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:08 pm Good move. I've noticed some slippery use of 3d files. (not necessarily here, but in the model building hobby in general)
yess there are files online not sure if they printable but my files were different from those 🙂

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Good call Eric,

There’s been quite a lot of this type of offer appearing on several FB forums recently.

Is the removal of the post under your decision only, or can we Mods lock the offending post?

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Topic author
f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

Hi,

Yes, Mods should lock and move posts into the Purgatory folder... I'm gonna bet really busy at work for the next couple weeks...

Thanks,
Eric
Paul_OFarrell wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:48 pm Good call Eric,

There’s been quite a lot of this type of offer appearing on several FB forums recently.

Is the removal of the post under your decision only, or can we Mods lock the offending post?

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Still not sure if this is the right way, even those who work out their own stuff are standing under this banner in the first.
I know that even if you use basic datas to rework and convert it into printable files are working a long time on such projects, in the end their work make 80 or more percent of the files in general, so why should they not call it their own work when they did the most work to get to a printable model?
I´m fine with that rule when it comes to copied models where only tiny details have been changed as there are tons of such models around on the internet.
But if someone is using basic datas from a race game and turns everything into a printable model for example, how can you imagine the effort and work that`s behind it when 80% has been done by you? Is it your work or the bascis that make the difference or what is the point to call it your own model?
Surely it is hard for the mods to judge about every single model that is done that way and verify if it`s ok or not, that`s why i would be happy with some rules for that.
Take a stand!

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Didn't you just get a rule for that? No files allowed. Seems very clear to me.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

gp-models wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:47 am Still not sure if this is the right way, even those who work out their own stuff are standing under this banner in the first.
I know that even if you use basic datas to rework and convert it into printable files are working a long time on such projects, in the end their work make 80 or more percent of the files in general, so why should they not call it their own work when they did the most work to get to a printable model?
I´m fine with that rule when it comes to copied models where only tiny details have been changed as there are tons of such models around on the internet.
But if someone is using basic datas from a race game and turns everything into a printable model for example, how can you imagine the effort and work that`s behind it when 80% has been done by you? Is it your work or the bascis that make the difference or what is the point to call it your own model?
Surely it is hard for the mods to judge about every single model that is done that way and verify if it`s ok or not, that`s why i would be happy with some rules for that.
You don't sell files on here anyway so what is the trouble?? You sell finished printed parts so this rule has ne effect on you!

Personally I think selling files is one of the dumbest things the creator can do. Why on earth would you want to sell something for a few buck that you spent a ton of time on creating to someone who in turn can resell your file or give it away to his friends. Once you sell the file to anyone you have now lost all control of who uses it and how much it is passed around. Sell your parts!!! Not the files!!!!
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports