MFH 1/12 Sauber C9

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

primabaleron
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Tomasz
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fangio
Poland

Re: MFH 1/12 Sauber C9

Post by primabaleron »

Lovely set, great job ! :)

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Hugeprong wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:52 am I didn’t even bother trying to use the hose ties/universal clips provided as PE parts. I have never got them to work properly as they are so stiff and look awful when attached to the hoses. (I have also twice cut myself deeply using them!). Has anyone got any tips on getting them to fit really tightly around the hoses and secure them there? There must be a simple way to get them to work as shown in the instructions but it seems to be one of those things that looks easy but is actually really hard!!
Just like with photo-etched seatbelts you must heat them to anneal (soften) the metal. Allow it to cool slowly - do not quench in water or oil. For tiny parts do not use a torch. Instead use a hot plate with a heating element.

Topic author
Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

I completed this project this week - 3 months and 10 days after I started it. Not sure if that is particularly long or short for this model but despite the lack of updates to this WIP thread, I can assure you that Progress was being made - slowly at times...

I was thrilled with the general fit of the bodywork actually. Both front and rear cowlings fitted precisely without any "adjustments" being required which is a first for me with MFH! Both are secured with just two screws (I used slightly longer ones than those supplied).

Both doors can be opened (very carefully as all 4 hinges are very delicate P/E parts) forwards and compared to the P956 and 917 in particular, I found the doors fitted pretty well - although a few gentle bends had to be done. The sliding window on the drivers side door moves (although whether this was worth the effort I rather doubt) and the auxiliary seat can be removed as it is held in place by a single magnet.

The rear wing is supported by a P/E assembly which looks flimsy but is a little stronger than it looks. The rear wing is absolutely square and level which is good as I dont know if there was going to be much I could do if it wasnt.

The wheels looked great but are not attached to strong cast hubs as in recent releases. They have to be attached to small screws protruding from the hubs like early Tamiya and Protar 1/12 kits. I cut my hands getting the wheels properly and securely attached - and I ended up using a replacement bolt on the rear right wheel. (To be fair, I was silly in attaching the retainers before trying to screwing on the wheel centres!)

My biggest error is the front ride height. Both front suspensions are set too high and so the front of the chassis almost touches the ground. I am not sure how I could have measured this off more carefully when constructing those sections but for anyone building this kit, maybe set the upper and lower withbones about 2.0mm lower than they seem to want to sit naturally. (It would have been good if MFH could have added a front-on guide to the correct heights in the instructions in the same way as they do for the heights of the exhaust systems at the rear).

I have attached some photographs below. If you are interested in a rather larger selection of WIP photos than I have included here, please go to

https://hhms.info/sauber-build

Likewise, for some photos of the completed car, please go to

https://hhms.info/1%2F12-sportscars-%26-gts-1

If anyone else is doing this kit and has any questions, please PM me or contact me at my website.

Thank you MFH. I really enjoyed this project and look forward to my next MFH kit very much!

Kind regards

HUGO

www.hhms.info

76.JPG
77.JPG
78.JPG
80.JPG
81.JPG
82.JPG
Sauber C9 12.JPG
Sauber C9 13.JPG
Sauber C9 14.JPG
Attachments
79.JPG

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Looking good

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

Your work is impressive. Especially in this short time. I'm curious which model will be launched next.
Seema

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Super job! To finish a full-detail 1/12 MFH kit in just over 3 months sounds very good to me, I wish I could finish them that quickly and well!

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Superb!!
Well done

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »