f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Live review of Meng 1/12 MP4/4

Post by f1m »

Hmmm... I'm wondering if building the kit with the engine cover on (and fixed) and the engine displayed separately might be an interesting thought...

E

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

f1m wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:46 pm Hmmm... I'm wondering if building the kit with the engine cover on (and fixed) and the engine displayed separately might be an interesting thought...

E
Nein! You must scratchbuild all of the many features of the empty engine bay, including weathering it and only then may you display the (suitably weathered) engine on a stand. Don't even think of missing any of the many sensors, cable ties, etc :shock: :lol: 8)

Of course it's an interesting thought but to my way of thinking then you need the body work on a nearby stand but you do you. :D

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
United States of America

Post by f1m »

Looking at the large screw fixtures in the engine cover, I just don't think they'd look all that good revealed. That's why I'd fix the cover to the chassis and pull the engine out to display separately, and maybe add a lot of detail to it... I'd need to get a good look at the footboy to see if I'd leave the front wing off or not.

E

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

That`s a nice idea, but you also need to scratch build supsension fixing points caused by missing engine and gear box. Also, like said, all of the rear end including wing support etc has to be rebuild from scratch, that`s a lot of effort!
By the way, cowling could also be installed by using small Neodym magnets instead of oversized screws. ;)
Take a stand!

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
United States of America

Post by f1m »

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I can install the gearbox without the engine and all the suspension points seem to be on the gearbox...

E
gp-models wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:32 pm That`s a nice idea, but you also need to scratch build supsension fixing points caused by missing engine and gear box. Also, like said, all of the rear end including wing support etc has to be rebuild from scratch, that`s a lot of effort!
By the way, cowling could also be installed by using small Neodym magnets instead of oversized screws. ;)

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Yes, clutch parts included for external engine display option.

tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Or, Tamiya could release a clear cowl, like they did for the other two. Unless licensing rules forbid it.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

tubegenius wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:48 pm Or, Tamiya could release a clear cowl, like they did for the other two. Unless licensing rules forbid it.
Sure, if they buy Meng then that's exactly what they could do. :D