SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Re: Live review of Meng 1/12 MP4/4

Post by SBEST »

Noddy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:21 am
I'm honestly not sure how fair it is to criticize design elements of the kit that are business decisions over making things completely authentic. There is no point, for Meng or their distributors, in making a paper-thin rear diffuser that won't survive trans-Atlantic shipping for example. Also, Fat Frog complaining about things like the intake not having a solid bottom is a bit silly. Were Meng supposed to make it a solid plug of plastic? To what purpose? Some of his comments reveal that he doesn't understand the business side of kit making at all. Interesting review and I appreciate him doing it but perhaps he should "stay in his lane" a bit more.
Noddy, everything is a compromise. I look forward to the kit. As, I tell my kids the greatest sporting experience I ever had was watching Prost and Senna. And there has not been anything like that since.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Very nice review. Thx for sharing 8) .

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

Thank you for taking the time to review the kit Mr.Fatfrog.
i agree that the tires are dissapointing with no details but then again the price of the kit is not disappointing, everything else I'm happy to work around, thin out a few edges, sand smooth the silly raised areas for painting etc... Overall it represents great value for a newly tooled F1 plastic kit in 2023, and we can have fun with it, Works for me.
Dede.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Dede wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:56 am Overall it represents great value for a newly tooled F1 plastic kit in 2023, and we can have fun with it, Works for me.
Works for me too! Lets me sink my teeth into something to ease the irritation of waiting on the Beemax Lotus. Sigh.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Noddy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:21 am Interesting review and I appreciate him doing it but perhaps he should "stay in his lane" a bit more.
And exactly what inside insight do you have into Meng's business decisions that allow you to comment?

For that matter, what is your personal experience in producing YouTube livestreams? If you haven't livestreamed yourself, I'm sure FatFrog appreciates your comments and finds them interesting, but perhaps you should "stay in your lane" a bit more.
Je ne regrette rien.

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I like his review

Meng does take some shortcuts, however based on the GT40 and bikes I have built, I look forward to this kit

And after replacing 25 parts in the recent Italeri re-release MP4/2c, this kit would be a breeze imho

I enjoy building their car and bike kits

Their 1/24 GT40 and M4 are beautifully done

Gorf
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Steve
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by Gorf »

Only 25? Which would they be? I haven't gotten mine yet but do remember Protar version.
I am pretty sure that you immediately replaced tires and wheels? If so what was your source?
Steve

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

Not to hijack thread, no I didn’t replace wheels and tires as I have no replacements

My point was that I will take what Meng has to offer, closer to Tamiya than anything Protar or Italeri has offered

I don’t like sanding excessive seams ……in every part

The brake calipers and uprights are great for instance, a lot of other parts, not so much

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Thanks for the review. I'm going to pick up the kit as it looks like its "good enough" in most places compared to what BeeMax can do. I wasn't super impressed with the Porsche 935 kit I bought from them so am not expecting a massive change in quality worth waiting 3-18 months for their kit to come out.

I'd also remind everyone its OK to disagree with others, but lets keep the fighting down a bit. You're not going to convince someone they're wrong by being a jerk to them.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Well said stubeck. 👍👍