Rosberg M@r!b*r* lights version Estoril 1986 - new evidence in the case!

A forum for builds of the Aoshima/Beemax McLaren MP4/2 kit.

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Re: Rosberg M@r!b*r* lights version Estoril 1986 - new evidence in the case!

Post by Sennafan »

Although this seems to be a controversial topic, I would use TS-47 and move on, it’s clearly not fluorescent or greenish based on just looking at 100 pictures on the web

Topic author
Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

On the subject of fluo yellow.

An excellent 4 part story of the Brawn 2009 championship campaign narrated by Keanu Reeves are currently shown on Disney+. That series alone is a good excuse for shelling out a month of subscription!

What has this to do with fluo yellow you might ask? Well the 'company colours' of Brawn in 2009 was white with fluo yellow (yellow greenish bright colour) and black accents. That should be a well known fact from followers of F1 in those days. But the funny thing is... When you see the (plenty) period scenes where the car is in focus - the colour shown is just plain yellow! Simply because the video used at that time could not portray fluo colours correct. Just like a certain Mac from 1986.

Flemming

BullittStang
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Joe
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nigel Mansell
United States of America

Post by BullittStang »

Flemming wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:20 am On the subject of fluo yellow.

An excellent 4 part story of the Brawn 2009 championship campaign narrated by Keanu Reeves are currently shown on Disney+. That series alone is a good excuse for shelling out a month of subscription!

What has this to do with fluo yellow you might ask? Well the 'company colours' of Brawn in 2009 was white with fluo yellow (yellow greenish bright colour) and black accents. That should be a well known fact from followers of F1 in those days. But the funny thing is... When you see the (plenty) period scenes where the car is in focus - the colour shown is just plain yellow! Simply because the video used at that time could not portray fluo colours correct. Just like a certain Mac from 1986.

Flemming
The reason fluorescent and bright colors were used in racing is because video technology of the time would severely desaturate colors. This was especially pronounced in the U.S. becuase NTSC was a lower resolution (and therefore lower quality picture) than the PAL standard used in Europe. If the photographer has the settings correct, then a still camera can capture the correct color. That's why the M@r!b*r* McLarens used fluorescent red, so that when the cars appeared on video, the flourescent red would desaturate to the red that matches the box of Marlboros.

It's also why Rosso Corsa became brighter and more orangey in the 80s compared to the 70s. When color TV became more and more common, people were noticing that the Ferraris looked brown on TV, and not red.

So i'ts very likely that the yellow used by McLaren at Portugal '86 was either an fluorescent yellow, or at the very least, a bright lemon yellow.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

:lol: :lol: Oh guys you´re tempting me again to enter the debate! :lol:
You know I love it, as I do with the other canon ones:
-LIGIER BLUE
-FERRARI FLUO COLOR (1997-mid2007)

Yes, the explanation fellow BullitSang gives is exact, that was it. And yes the Ferraris looked brown on my brand new PAL (Europe) color TV, fresh for the San Marino GP. And YES now you say, I´d point the Ferraris looked brighter and "redder" in 1983, with same TV.

As for Flemming comment, my friend obviously if two colors look the same in the same conditions, you can´t tell for sure they are the same if there´s, allegedly, a shortcoming in those conditions to show one treat (the fluo hue) of one of them. I´d say technically, that´s what they call "circumstantial evidence". An evidence matching the fact we wanna proof but not the ONLY rational explanation. Opositely, if two colors look different and you are pretty sure none of them has a special feature, they are most surely different. As Renault´s and ATS´ yellows. But surely the Brawn Case gives an explanation of how presumed Mac fluo might not show on pics
Don´t get me wrong, I probably WANNA believe it´s fluo, and given how Ron Dennis did things, I´d bloody bet if he had to replace the FLUO RED he´d ONLY do it with FLUO YELLOW.
Anyway, let´s keep on thinking, asking... hey no one has Prost´s phone? :D
BR
James

PS: Michael´s tip of looking for B/W pics is great, though...hmm would that apply also on color pictures published in B/W? and yes I saw some Red Macs looking quite strange in B/W pics

Gorf
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Steve
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by Gorf »

In as much as this subject has been brought to light again, has anyone heard of or know of a decal sheet to do this car for the Iataleri 12th scale MP4/2?
Steve

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

JamesB wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:18 am Michael´s tip of looking for B/W pics is great, though...hmm would that apply also on color pictures published in B/W? and yes I saw some Red Macs looking quite strange in B/W pics
No, It has to be shot on B&W film. A perfect example is the book They Call Me Mr. 500 by Andy Granatelli. There is a black and white picture of Jim Clark's 1966 STP Lotus which most definitely was dayglo red. The car looks black in the photo. That's how I know the pic was shot on color film and converted to B&W for publication.

feelgood
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by feelgood »

Meri kits MK79 says paint is Fiat Giallo 251, which looks correct to my memory. It was def NOT fluo and more like what Nigel Roebuck described…

https://everestautomotivemarket.com/cus ... _id=939116

https://es.aliexpress.com/i/1005003581581433.html

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

feelgood wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:09 am Meri kits MK79 says paint is Fiat Giallo 251, which looks correct to my memory. It was def NOT fluo and more like what Nigel Roebuck described…

https://everestautomotivemarket.com/cus ... _id=939116

https://es.aliexpress.com/i/1005003581581433.html
So I assume you were there? :D great! Anyway, Roebuck says "greenish" right? It would be the typical eighties flashy yellow that was used in sporting goods, That even if it´s not fluo, gives the impression.
So well, let´s recapitulate. Besides the fluo-non fluo debate, we have also the egg yellow-trainer shoe yellow debate :D