How much paint? Switching methods

Ask away....

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

How much paint? Switching methods

Post by Noddy »

So for a very long time I've done bodies by buying pints or quarts of automotive lacquers from an auto body supply shop. It works well for the basic colours - a can of Rosso Corsa 300 lasts for years and is quite economical.
Unfortunately the economics for other colours don't work out anymore as prices are way up.

Here's the dumb question: how many 60ml bottles of Zero Paints do you need to paint a 1/12 scale body and the usual accessories - wings, endplates, etc? Is two sufficient to have on hand? Is two enough for a sportscar or endurance racer body? I just can't seem to wrap my head around figuring the quantity of paint because I'm so used to having a virtually endless supply. :D

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: How much paint? Switching methods

Post by stubeck »

I use way too much paint typically, and 2 60 ML bottles seems like it should be enough for a 1/12 body as long as everything goes well.

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

stubeck wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:05 pm I use way too much paint typically, and 2 60 ML bottles seems like it should be enough for a 1/12 body as long as everything goes well.
Thanks for that. Umm, how often do things go well? LOLOL. I've had some real disasters through the years. 8) (luckily I've had some stuff that turned out pretty well too)

Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Malcolm »

I've just completed a Meng GT40 in 1/12 scale using just 1 off 60ml bottle of Zero paint. I bought 2 bottles so I would have more from the same batch available. I will be buying two bottles for my next build - better to have too much than too little.

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:07 am better to have too much than too little.
Yes that's my thinking too - especially in these days of exorbitant shipping rates. :evil:

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

I agree. I usually buy more to err on the safe side. If you run out while painting I'd say that's a big snafu, especially when happening mid part or something. You have to order again, wait, and - depending on when you ordered the last bit of paint it might actually be a while and maybe a slightly different mixture. I would never take that chance. Rather get another bottle. After all, what are we talking about, 6 bucks a bottle? chum change when compared to time and potential extra shipping and potential issues...
Cheers,
Roman

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

sky1911 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:21 pm After all, what are we talking about, 6 bucks a bottle? chum change when compared to time and potential extra shipping and potential issues...
Well, just for the sake of accuracy a 60ml bottle of Zero Paint is currently US$10.75 from the only currently acknowledged official dealer and you've still got to pay the shipping to you - which on my current order looks to be about $1.00 per bottle averaged out to account for larger bottles of thinner, primer and clear.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Noddy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:18 pm
stubeck wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:05 pm I use way too much paint typically, and 2 60 ML bottles seems like it should be enough for a 1/12 body as long as everything goes well.
Thanks for that. Umm, how often do things go well? LOLOL. I've had some real disasters through the years. 8) (luckily I've had some stuff that turned out pretty well too)
Thats where the two bottles would work out :) I think for most 1/20 kits a 30 ml bottle gives me 2 cars, so 120 ml should be enough.

dingo07
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: DJ
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by dingo07 »

Why not use a different brand of paint, like Street Blisters, or Gravity Colors? I just purchased 12 bottles from Gravity and it arrived the same week via FedEx.

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

dingo07 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:30 pm Why not use a different brand of paint, like Street Blisters, or Gravity Colors? I just purchased 12 bottles from Gravity and it arrived the same week via FedEx.
Because a careful analysis of the colours that I need vs the colours that are available from each supplier are best matched by Zero Paints. Also a 12 bottle shipment via Fedex amounts to about a 35% surcharge on the price of each bottle if I'm remembering my figures correctly.