Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Model shops in Tokyo?

Post by stubeck »

I'm flying out to Japan in two months and am going to be staying in Tokyo for the trip. My last trip I was a bit surprised by how few model shops I could find with car models. Does anyone have any recommendations in the Tokyo area of where to go?

Currently on my list are the Tamiya Plamodel shop, Yodabashi camera, the two Leonardo shops and going to Nakano Broadway on a weekend.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Model shops in Tokyo?

Post by jaykay »

This thread might give you some pointers, even though it's old:

viewtopic.php?t=21811&hilit=tokyo+hobby+shops

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Well thats embarrassing for someone who talks about searching a lot, I completed missed that...thanks!

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Rainbow 10 closed some years ago unless I'm mistaken. The last time I was there in Tokyo, Yellow Submarine was still great. I think it's been since 2014/15 when I went to Yokohama Hobby Fair with Allnie, Flemming, and Eagle50, but Tokyo still had quite a few great shops at that time. The Tamiya hobby store in Tokyo was a good place to stock up on tools / paints / CF decals from their various kits; I got some really good files and tweezers, airbrush, etc. But it's been several years since I've been there, so your mileage may vary!

I do recommend a trip to Barchetta, as the built models are absolutely great and the shop is incredibly well-stocked.

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Hello! I just went a few weeks ago. Here are the ones I went to.

Akihabara Area
LEONARDO ET
This is my personal favorite. A big selection of second-hand kits, from the 1960's to new Hasegawa releases. Prices are very good. He also has a stack of discount kits up front that are always a good deal.

LEONARDO LG
This is more of a collector's place. They've got a bigger selection but the prices are on the higher end. Occasionally you'll find deals on the outside tables, but it's usually aircraft stuff.

SURUGAYA AKIHABARA PLASTIC MODEL HALL
A little hard to find - it's up a back staircase. This is a tiny shop packed to the ceiling with good stuff. The prices are very, very good on most things. I got a Tamiya Sauber C9 and a Hasegawa F3000 kit (the original releases) for 2,300 yen together. They've also got amazing prices on tools.

YELLOW SUBMARINE SCALE SHOP
The go-to place for new kits and tools. Very low prices on most tools (Tamiya 6mm tape was 99 yen).

VOLKS
This doesn't show up in a lot of maps for some reason, but if you search "AKIHABARA RADIO KAIKAN" the building will show up. It's next to the train station and has a huge yellow sign at the entrance. The top floor has a Volks store that is incredible. All the new kits and a huge selection of tools. They also have built examples of many new kits, which is great to see, and plenty of staff that can help give suggestions. For the aviation modeler, this is the place to get Zoukei Mura kits. Even if you're not an aviation guy, it's worth it to see all the built example kits. They also carry the excellent Zoukei Mura and God Hand tools. The Zoukei Mura nippers are the best I've ever used. Worth the money.

TAMTAM
You can probably skip this one. You won't find anything here that you won't see at Yellow Submarine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
SHINJUKU AREA
YODABASHI CAMERA
Excellent store with the lowest prices in town. They carry the complete collection of Aoshima, Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Fujimi kits and wheels. Even found a couple Ebbro Lotus 49Cs. The music is unbearably loud so make it a quick stop.

SHIMBASHI AREA
TAMIYA PLAMODEL FACTORY
Excellent store. You'll probably find better kit prices at the other shops, but you can get everything Tamiya makes here. Japan's baggage scanning system will catch lacquer paints, but I've been able to put acrylic paints and polish in my checked bags. Also, you can get spare parts (from the lists on the back of the instructions) sent to the shop. They carry a selection in-store but not everything. It takes a few days if you order in person, so if you don't have much time you might be able to email them in advance.

ADACHI AREA
MODEL FACTORY HIRO
It's simply the best. Beyond MFH kits you'll find Studio 27 kits, Joe Honda books, and stacks of photoetch and decals. The people there are so nice as well and have given me a discount before.

Have a great time!

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

It is a very long time ago, but it you have a week end, the bullet train down to Shizuoka will get you to the Tamiya and Hasegawa world headquarters. It is about 5 hours round trip but worth is to see. It has undoubtedly change but there were several model shops close by. They did have a small shop open in main building, but I was there during the Toy show and it may have been a special event.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Been to the Tamiya shop. It's worth the trip when in Tokyo.

Post pictures of your visits if you can.

dmarek
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Dave Marek
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda of course
James Hunt
United States of America

Post by dmarek »

If you go to PlaModel in Shimbashi you should go to the Spark Gallery as well-It's a block away and while it's mostley diecast it has some one off 1/8 scale models that serve as huge inspiration: Porsche 919/956,RSR, Brabham Bt44 among others

cristiano.molignoni
F3
F3
Your Name: Cristiano Molignoni
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet, Michael Schumacher
Brazil

Post by cristiano.molignoni »

In Tokyo you can divide the stores in 2 types.

1. The normal retail stores: Yodobashi, Tam Tam, Jhosin, Tamiya Factory. You can find all that is on sales at the moment. Kits, tools, paints and all related to the hobby that are in production or was delivered by factories not long time a go. If you are not looking hard to find kits you can choose one of these that will be probably get everything you need.

2. The stores where you can find out of production kits only (not tools, paints and other related): Leonardo are the best (there are 3 stores), Nakano Broadway and a few Mandarake stores.

This link it's not about cars but can helps:
http://tokyo-hobby-shops.geraet040.net/

Cristiano

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Have a great time, I thought it was an amazing city.
Went in 2006 and 2007, I started by finding shops that sold model mags and looked in the small ads to find model shops, then bought a map and spent a couple of days visiting them.
If I went again I would try to make contact with a local model club to tap in to the local knowledge.
There is a youtube channel where a local Japanese guy visits/reviews the more out of the way model shops.

Malc.