F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Chrome removal Meng GT40

Post by Malcolm »

I know this is an old one:

But I've got a 1/12 Meng GT40 which I've nearly completed, but getting the 'chrome' off is proving beyond me.

1. I soaked the parts in bleach (2 different types for a week each)
2. I then tried soaking in brake fluid for 2 weeks
3. I then put the parts in Coke for 6 weeks and changed the Coke every week in case the Coke didn't work so well after some time
4 I've now got the bits in oven cleaner (from my research in the internet, oven cleaner is the thing to use when everything else fails)

So after around 10 weeks in total, I've got two (small) parts where some of the chrome has been removed and the rest looks as if it was straight out of the box.

I've successfully removed the chrome from every other kit I've made, but this is getting ridiculous - I think I would have dissolved real chrome parts by now!

Any ideas?

Thank you

Malcolm
Last edited by Malcolm on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ffracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Mercedes
United States of America

Re: Chrome removal

Post by Ffracer »

Fantastik is my go to chrome remover. I successfully used it last week on some Revell/Monogram parts.

I don't have experience with Meng parts but I have found that there are some differences from manufacturer to manufacturer. One of the biggest differences is the clear coat that they apply over the chrome plating. Generally, all I have had to do is vary the amount of time I leave the parts in the Fantastik.

Note that i'm in the US and I don't know if Fantastik is sole in the UK and if so, what name it is sold under.

1slowhand
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by 1slowhand »

I have used Westley's Bleche Wite Tire Cleaner to successfully remove chrome for many years. Have not had experience with Meng parts but it has worked with numerous other manufacture's chrome parts. Have soaked parts for lengthy periods of time with no damage to the parts. I'm also in the US but hopefully it's available in the UK - maybe thru Amazon ?

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Hi Malcolm,
In the UK I use Oven Mate gel, its active ingredient is Potassuim Hydroxide.
I have not used it on anything from Meng, but it has removed the chrome from everything I have exposed it to with in 10 to 30 minutes and not damaged the plastic.

Malc.

Topic author
Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Malcolm »

Hi Malcolm,
In the UK I use Oven Mate gel, its active ingredient is Potassuim Hydroxide.
I have not used it on anything from Meng, but it has removed the chrome from everything I have exposed it to with in 10 to 30 minutes and not damaged the plastic.
Hmmmm .. I'm using oven pride where the active ingredient is Sodium Hydroxide and my (very) basic chemistry tells me that ought to act in a similar manner to Potassium Hydroxide. But 50 hours soaking to date has achieved nothing.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the Meng chrome must be different from that used by other manufacturers.

Thank you for your thoughts everyone - I'll see if anyone else comes up with a 'killer chrome remover solution' - if not, I may have to resort to sanding (ugh).

Best wishes
Malcolm

dmarek
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Dave Marek
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda of course
James Hunt
United States of America

Post by dmarek »

I use 409...Always clean removal...Scares me little to use it on countertops

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

I use caustic soda in water, it usually gets it off quickly.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I've encountered that impossible to remove chrome. My first goto is always oven cleaner because that is the best, but then there's what you've hit. The only thing I would try from there is Testors ELO (Easy Lift Off).

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Malcom,

My information may not help your situation.

Sometime ago, my work requires me to look at some metal (chrome or similar appearance) plating on plastic. My first guess is that the plating is aluminum. This is the cheapest and most common plating on plastic and is widely used in our hobby to represent chrome plating.

After trying with different common methods as you have already described, the plating is still there without any change. We ask around some plastic shops and they don't have an answer. The only word is that it is not aluminum. The surface doesn't look like to have been clear coated.

That plating is very durable as it is on a frequently used button on a remote unit.

Meng may be using a similar process for their parts.

The last resort is to sand the plating away.
C K
Canada

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

I might be the resident retard here, but whatever. My question is - why is the Meng chrome plating bad - I mean aside from the obvious fake look. Wouldn't it be possible to prime and paint on top of it? Or to use the chrome surface as an undercoat for an actual layer of Alclad or AK chrome or whatever other metal paint you desire (after a light sanding so that the primer / colour / whatever properly attaches to the parts)? Or is that frowned upon because with the buildup of primer and paint on top of the maybe already too thick layer of weapons grade chrome it might just distort proportions even further or drown out details or screw with the fit to connecting parts or d) all of the above?
Depending on the parts, in question sanding surely has to be the last resort. For wheels and exhaust pipes that might be a feasible option, but for anything else, like engine parts or brackets you're more likely to break or warp them than to succeed with a good sanding (or maybe my patience and skill levels are just not there, see intro: "resident retard").

On reading this post I had a quick google and found a number of Meng builds, but none seemed to be bothered by the chrome or wrote what they did (if they did anything) to it.
Cheers,
Roman