f1rob
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Rob Glowinkowski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alonso's Current Team
Canada

Clear Over Decals

Post by f1rob »

I remember seeing posts about this before, but cannot seem to find them using the search function.

I am currently building a Minardi PS01 conversion using the Tamiya Williams FW24 kit, and Studio 27 decals. I have typically used a 2-part urethane, or Future floor wax as a clear coat over decals, but cannot use my spray booth for a while right now, and looking for an alternate solution.

The Studio 27 decals are made by Cartograph, and as usual, they lay down very well, and respond nicely to Micro Set solution. The vase coat is Tamiya TS-14.

I know that i cannot use Tamiya TS-13, without risking significant damage to the decals(don't want to do the light dust coats), but some time ago, purchased a can of Mr. Hobby - Mr. Super Clear Gloss. Is this clear safe for these decals? If so, are there any particular precautions, or method to apply?

Don't want to use an enamel, such as Testors.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Rob

lvndeva
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Clear Over Decals

Post by lvndeva »

i've used Mr Hobby Super Clear Gloss extensively, and up until i discovered Gravity 2k, it was my go to choice for clear coat. There is also another version, called the 'UV cut' which supposedly do not make the decals yellow over time. I do believe this is the case, as models that i've build years ago is still pretty 'white'. You can use them interchangeably, i've tried before.

Yes its safe over decals, much safer i feel compared to TS-13 (which is more 'hot'). The procedure that i use is detailed below:

1. Wipe all body areas with a damp (not wet) cloth. This removes any excess decal glue or setting solutions like micro set/sol.
I say not wet, because i've had experience with decals coming loose when i use a wet cloth (i recall this happening with a new Hasegawa kit).

2. Allow to dry for few mins.

3. After ensuring no dust/dirt on the surface ( i use Tamiya anti static brush), i spray 2 light coats (mist coats). Not sure why you prefer not to do the dust/mist coats. I find it crucial to gradually expose the decal to clears.

4. After 24 hours, i spray 2 medium coats. I wait 1 day between each of these coats.

5. After 2-3 days, i spray 2 heavy coats. I wait 2 days between each heavy coat. Be careful to not let the clear accumulate in one spot during these heavy coats, have to keep spraying in iterative passes.

6. Total i do 6 coats for racing cars, sometimes 7 if i need to sand between coats (sometimes large dust or dirt lands on the body).

7. Finally, I sand (4000, 6000, 8000 grit) and polish (Tamiya Fine and Finish compound) to complete.

Total spraying time takes about 1 week, and i let the body dry for another week. You can reduce the drying time with the help of a dehumidifier.

Others might have a different approach, but this is my tried and tested method. Good luck!

Topic author
f1rob
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Canada

Post by f1rob »

Hi lvndeva:

Thanks for all of your feedback!

My main concern with doing dust coats is that they tend to leave a grainy finish (orange peel), which is difficult to correct with subsequent wet coats. I know that TS-13 flattens out very well, but as I have not used Mr. Hobby - Mr. Super Clear Gloss, I don't know if this flattens well, or will be grainy.

Is there a concern about starting out with wet coats with this product over the Cartograph decals?

Rob

SanMarino
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Post by SanMarino »

Hi Rob,

I solely use Mr Hobby Super Clear Gloss UV Cut over decals. I have used TS-13, most times without an issue, a few times with minor issues. Never any issues with Mr Hobby as it is not as 'hot' as TS-13.

My process is as follows.

1. Apply two mist coats + two medium coats + two or three wet coats and let cure for at least one week.You want to start with mist coats to build up the clear because of the decals are not firmly set onto the surface you could have issues, regardless of decal manufacturer. At this stage I am not concerned about the finish of the clear.

2. Wet sand with 3200 or 3600 with the intention of minimizing the edges of the decals and flattening out the paint.

3. Apply two mist coats + three or four wet coats and let cure for at least one week. Again, not concerned about how smooth the clear is.

4. Wet sand with 3200 or 3600 with intention of eliminating the edges of the decals and flattening out the clear coat.

5. Apply four wet coats and let cure for at least one week. At this stage the paint dries out quite flat though there is orange peel, but fine orange peel for lack of a better description.

6. Wet sand with 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000. At this point the paint is nearly at the point you want it to be.

7. Polish with Tamiya Coarse, Medium, and Finish polishing compounds.

Quite involved but it gives me the results I want. Yes there is quite a bit of time involved in this process that is why I typically start as early as possible in the build process to do the body, so that during curing there are others aspects of the model to work on.

Here are couple of examples:

Subaru Impreza:
More photos here: https://www.motorsportsmoments.ca/Scale ... -Carlo-05/

Honda RA273:
More photos here: https://www.motorsportsmoments.ca/Scale ... 73-Bandai/

Topic author
f1rob
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Canada

Post by f1rob »

Hello Ivndeva & Mike:

Thank you again for the feedback, and soy it took so long to reply.

The Subaroo and Honda look amazing! Looks like all ideas point to multiple dust coats and later wet coast with some polishing in between.

I think before I clear this kit (as the deals are "irreplaceable", I will practice in a somewhat sacrificial subject, where i know i can get another set of decals for.

Appreciate the recommendations!

Cheers,

Rob

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

I agree that you should practice on some spare parts and decals. I did that at first and now have no issues unless the decals are old and brittle. But that usually shows up long before the clear coat.

If the decals are irreplaceable, are they old as well? If so, is there a concern they will react badly with the chemicals? Is it worth the risk? You won’t have any room for error.

Best of luck with your build

Belugawrx
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Belugawrx
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Wolf Williams Lotus
Canada

Post by Belugawrx »

I have used Alclad #600 Aqua Gloss Clear over suspect decals and paint, and have never had a problem..I have had problems with Future over Micro Sol and Set however...clouding
Oops just noticed this is 2 months old
How did you make out Rob ?
Bruce Coy