Amazing documentary on the Prost/Senna Mclaren MP4/4 car

Area to upload images, movies, etc. of real world F1 cars.

Topic author
Loeki
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Loeki
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell, Ronnie Peterson
Netherlands

Amazing documentary on the Prost/Senna Mclaren MP4/4 car

Post by Loeki »

I discovered a sublime documentary on the Mclaren MP4/4 as driven by Prost and Senna in 1988. This successfull car won 15 of the 16 races.

Great to hear 3 main members of the Mclarenteam at that period talking about and explaining the car.

So many details to see and amazing facts as 7 liter paint on the car and repainted every race!

So if you are planning to build the Tamiya 1/20 Mclaren MP4/4, this is your source.

Happy watching!

Loek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRtjeWsIscc

PTR
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams & Ligier
United States of America

Re: Amazing documentary on the Prost/Senna Mclaren MP4/4 car

Post by PTR »

Thanks for the link! This is great stuff. So cool to see the tech guys together providing stories.

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Thanks for that I had not seen this one, about a year ago JayEmm did two very interesting UTube films with Steve Nichols, to understand who really did the design of the MP4/4.

M.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Caught that last night. Amazing

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Really interesting vid. It really ‘humanises’ the car. Given its success, and pilots, the 4/4 has taken on almost mythical status, but this is a great reminder it was a really small group who drew it up and built it.

As an aside, there is an advert in the vid for Matthew Jefferys’ art. I’ve ordered from him a few times. Great guy and the art is excellent.

Adelaide 88 was my first gp. Its really neat to be able to hear from the crew 34 years later…

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

I have started watching the video. It's a fascinating subject that is near to me. I had the pleasure of seeing Senna win in Canada and Detroit in subsequent weekends. Back then it was pretty inexpensive to travel to Montreal from Detroit.

There has been great cars and drivers since 1988. However, in opinion none touch Prost and Senna that year. So, it is great to see these guys put this video out to take credit where credit is due. However, Gordon Murray probably will beg to differ.

martinpesce
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by martinpesce »

SBEST wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:59 am I have started watching the video. It's a fascinating subject that is near to me. I had the pleasure of seeing Senna win in Canada and Detroit in subsequent weekends. Back then it was pretty inexpensive to travel to Montreal from Detroit.

There has been great cars and drivers since 1988. However, in opinion none touch Prost and Senna that year. So, it is great to see these guys put this video out to take credit where credit is due. However, Gordon Murray probably will beg to differ.
I was having similar thoughts, especially after seeing an interview with Murray some time ago where he claimed the design of the 4/4 and even the layout of the 4/5. Yet when listening to Nichols it sounds as if he worked out all the lines that made the car. To be clear: I don’t prefer either version but it would be great to have some independent verdict on who played which role - maybe we should ask Ron Dennis :-) The challenge with such items on motorsport history is that there can be an element of exaggeration to make a good story, whilst the truth is often tasty enough. Perhaps also hard to make a critical challenge to someone who offers the time and effort to make such a nice video, because that in the end is what it is!

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

martinpesce wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:23 pm
I was having similar thoughts, especially after seeing an interview with Murray some time ago where he claimed the design of the 4/4 and even the layout of the 4/5. Yet when listening to Nichols it sounds as if he worked out all the lines that made the car. To be clear: I don’t prefer either version but it would be great to have some independent verdict on who played which role - maybe we should ask Ron Dennis :-) The challenge with such items on motorsport history is that there can be an element of exaggeration to make a good story, whilst the truth is often tasty enough. Perhaps also hard to make a critical challenge to someone who offers the time and effort to make such a nice video, because that in the end is what it is!
Personally, I am of the opinion Ron Dennis deserves most of the credit for the MP4/4.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Can of worms opened….

🤣

100% McLaren was Ron’s show. He hired the people and set the tone.
GM’s claims (and his legal threats to anyone who dares suggest otherwise) are rather lame. IMHO.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Just found this video by other means but WOW. If ever I decide to do a MP4/4 that video will be called upon. I'm going to D/L it for posterity :)
Cheers,
Roman