Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Painting order - 1/12 CSL

Post by Hugeprong »

I am attempting a build of the ancient Doyushu 1/12 BMW CSL as a depiction of the rather wonderful Alex Calder Le Mans Art Car from 1975.

So, I have a massive, primed, white, body shell with doors not yet attached. I have a colour scheme with the most common colour being red, but areas of yellow, blue and some smaller white strips. I have lots of Zero paints, but Tamiya acrylics and spray as well.

I would be interested in opinions as to what order I should airbrush the colours and with what? Is it good idea to put a topcoat of gloss white first, Matt white, or brush paint the white strips at the end after the other colours are airbrushed?

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed! I keep changing my mind but at some stage I will have to take the plunge…

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Re: Painting order - 1/12 CSL

Post by blakebirk »

I've had this project floating around for years, I keep working on it a little then putting it away for long periods of time. someday I'll finish it. I have it painted and have began clear coating it and wet sanding to try to remove the different layers of paint. I think the last time I put it away was because I was concerned with the fit of the doors with all the paint build up. I used decanted tamiya colors thru an airbrush, I don't recall the actual colors used but they are basically primary colors so nothing special. I started with primer then worked from light to dark to get good coverage, so white, yellow, red then blue. its a fun project. good luck!

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

blakebirk wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:51 pm I started with primer then worked from light to dark to get good coverage, so white, yellow, red then blue.
I agree! This would be the best route to take. Always start with the lightest color first and then progress to the darkest color. It is easier to cover lighter colors with the next color that way so that you do not get excessive paint build up and create a problem with things fitting later.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

I will do as you say. How amazing to find someone attempting the same project in California as I am in little old England!

Thank you both.

I as just thinking that if I got any white or yellow on the red or blue, it would be easier to tidy up - but I like the idea of starting with a semi gloss white which should act as a good key for the colours on top.

Here we go….

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

The only thing I would add is to test those different paints out on top of one another on a plastic spoon to see if they have any reactions to one another. You don't want to get to the final color and then have the project go sideways.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

When using the same supllier and the same type of paint there should not be a problem. Problems only can appear when mixing Laquer and acrylic for example, but this can be fixed by using the same type of thinner, means the acrylics should be thinned with lacquer thinner too. ;)
Take a stand!

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

I too have had this project going for years, though in 1/24.
I used a base of Tamiya white primer. Then painted 3 Tamiya LC lacquers in order: yellow, red, then blue. I put a light dusting of primer between the red and blue coats to make sure the red didn't bleed through. I didn't thin the paint enough (first time working with LP paints) and got some really bad textures, but after some clear coat and polishing it looks presentable.

I agree with everyone on testing the colors on spoons on top of each other. Would've saved me a great deal of trouble!

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Um, since I haven't painted anything (like this yet) - why do you layer the colours on top of each other? I would have thought to prime the car with whatever, then shoot it all white, then mask of anything that is not yellow, shoot the yellow, do the same with red, then blue. It will likely be a pain in the youknowhere to get the masking spot on (nothing like trying to replicate a lozenge camo pattern of a 1/32 ww1 bird) but you wouldn't have "excessive" buildup of paint plus there should only be minimal ridges between the various colour sections. What am I missing here?
I mean, I can see why spraying on top of each other would make sense as you don't have to be super exact with the masking, whereas you could end up with gaps between two colours where the base white will show through because you didn't match the mask properly to the previous layer(s). And I would suggest performing a few trials beforehand to dial in the overlap or whatever necessary to get smooth gaps (or rather no gaps!). Sure - this might be easier in 1/12 than in 1/20 but that way you won't have to worry too much about doors not closing anymore and other panel gaps being too small or non-existent - unless you lay your paint on really thick.

Again, this is my thinking and theoretical approach without having done it previously myself.
Cheers,
Roman