TimLucas
Spectator
Spectator
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mario Andretti
Great Britain

William FW15C possible conversion

Post by TimLucas »

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on a possible conversion. I would like to model the Williams FW15C of Alan Prost in 1993 in 1/20. I know there is a Studio27 resin kit of this - but this is long out of production and now prohibitively expensive. I am trying to assess whether it is possible to convert either the Fujimi FW14B or Fujimi FW16 into the FW15C. Both of these kits are readily available in the UK.

Does anyone have any information and/or advice on with approach would be best and what changes would be required?

Thanks for your help...

Tim

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: William FW15C possible conversion

Post by daveyman »

I definitely think the FW16 would be the way to go, it's been discussed on the here before I think. Rear wing would maybe need the lower plane from a different car, to get rid of the dihedral from the FW16 but I think the rest of the conversion wouldn't be to tricky. As ever, decals are the stumbling block to me but if you can source them then it's ok.

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

If you want to convert it out of the suggestions you gave i'd pick the fw16 as it already has the correct wheels (the 1992 car had wider wheels). Very interesting project tho!

Edit i have the fw15c (s27) if you want i can scan the decals from it, maybe that will make it a little easier.

Emersonsquirrel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fittipaldi, Surtees, Williams, McLaren, Lotus
Great Britain

Post by Emersonsquirrel »

I would also think that the FW16 is a better starting kit for a FW15C than the FW14B, although you might need to use bits of both!

The FW14B and FW15C had an identical wheelbase whereas the FW16's is an inch larger - not terribly significant at 1/20 scale. The sidepods of the FW15C and FW16 are very similar, with an undercut, which the FW14B doesn't share. That for me would be a good reason to start with an FW16 as that would require serious surgery on an FW14B!
The other key points of difference are;
The front wing - the FW15C's wing is closer in concept to the FW14B and has vortices generators like the FW14B, which I think were banned for 1994.
The airbox opening - again the opening on the FW15C ic more in line with that of the FW14B, with a more vertical opening that juts out from the lower headrest section, the FW16's is slanted at an angle back to the headrest.
Rear wing - as mentioned in the earlier post, the second tier wing flap on the FW16 is sharpely anhedral, whereas the FW15C's is much less pronounced.
Decals - probably the most irritating difference as there is quite a lot of overlap of sponsors between the FW14B and FW15C, whereas there was a significant changing of the guard for the FW16!

Hope this helps :D

ES

GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ligier
France

Post by GF-F1 »

Hello Tim,

Maybe you will need both, FW14 and FW16

In your position, I’ll take the FW16, the sidepods are higher than the FW15 but the bottom area is quite similar compare the FW14, anyway a bit of work is always require to be close as possible.
the wheels are ok comparing the new 1993 rules, the extractor is closer as well, but the top of the back cover is much more like the FW14.

Not sure to be very helpful…

Cheers.

Franck
www.gf-models.eu
Last edited by GF-F1 on Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

The other consideration is the tyre size, FW14B has wide rears whilst the FW16 is on the same spec as FW15. Think wing heights and possibly track width changed from 1992 to 1993. James B will give us good info on this I'm sure.

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

I think the best is to take the fw16 as the base kit, closest in my opinion. Some changes to the wings and rear bodywork. Also keep in mind that the fw15 uses different rear upper wishbone (normal triange) while the fw16 has a different set up, more a wing shaped part, also a bit lower, near center of wheel.

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/DSC_0255.jpg

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/AU01808.jpg

But cool project!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Suspensions, part of sidepods, REAR! Wheels, wings: FW16. Tub, decals: Fw14b.
I tried to make a (resin) 16 into a 15c and was a failure. And it’s easier to modify a resin one as it’s not hollow. The 16’s cockpit is so much wider. It’s much easier to disguise an FW14B into a 15C. Decals would not be a problem, I made a set 8)

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

JamesB wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:21 am Suspensions, part of sidepods, REAR! Wheels, wings: FW16. Tub, decals: Fw14b.
I tried to make a (resin) 16 into a 15c and was a failure. And it’s easier to modify a resin one as it’s not hollow. The 16’s cockpit is so much wider. It’s much easier to disguise an FW14B into a 15C. Decals would not be a problem, I made a set 8)
If you could make a conversion set for a FW16 or FW14B (don't care which) Then there is cash waiting :D

I too have decals (a set of Studio 27) but it requires major surgery from an existing kit to make it into an FW15C
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hi everyone,

The question of an FW15C conversion is something I thought about many, MANY times since 1993. Eventually, after many years I bit the Bullet

& bought a Studio 27 FW15C

viewtopic.php?t=30614&hilit=fw15c

but the idea of a full plastic conversion is something I still mentally toy with.

I also managed to obtain a couple of 1/20 Resin FW15D bodies & floors (very minor modifications from 15C) & I'm currently working on an obscure, unraced 1992

FW15 test Car. Resin Body & Fujimi FW14B Wings, Wheels & suspension. Unfortunately the 15D Tub is too narrow for the FW14B Front wishbones to be directly

transferable, so some front 1993 spec front (upper & lower) wishbones are also required, possibly from a Lotus 107, Mclaren MP4/8 or Fujimi FW16 (if anyone has any

spare I'd happily make you an offer).

viewtopic.php?t=32118&hilit=fw15

The Decals for a '93 spec FW15C would be difficult, I don't really have any advice to offer on this particular problem.

The OZ Wheel Rims & '93 spec Tyres would be another problem although MFH produce some beautiful '93 spec Wet Tyres so that's always a possibility.