Vettel retiring; Porsche buying half of Red Bull

F1 News and Info

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Vettel retiring; Porsche buying half of Red Bull

Post by MoFo »

Big news day in F1. Sad to see Vettel go, but it will be interesting to see what he does after. I can totally see him dabbling in other series, but could also imagine him working behind the scenes to improve the sport.

Not sure what to make of the Porsche news. Sounds like they'll become the engine manufacturer, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see long term if it's good or bad.
Je ne regrette rien.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: Vettel retiring; Porsche buying half of Red Bull

Post by PeteJ »

Vettel was a great driver and a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately as we all get older, things happen that slow us down. Perhaps the nerves go and you start erring on the side of caution. Sometimes it is the reflexes. Could be a number of things, but the last several years have been sad to watch. An old champion who stayed behind the wheel too long. I just don't like to see a great driver being constantly relegated to the back of the pack. I would still like to see him involve behind the scenes. He still has a lot to contribute.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I don't think Vettel has gotten any slower. In 2020 he knew he was getting let go before the season so lost all motivation to help out. 2021 he had a dog of a car, but still almost won in Hungary before a technicality disqualified him. He's shown his speed this year when his car hasn't failed him.

I'm hoping he stays in racing of some sort, if nothing else to keep the FIA on their toes as they clearly need him to keep them in line.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I'd love to see him do the Indy 500. ... man the last F1 race I attended was his first F1 race! USGP 2007. I remember after his last championship he had some very prophetic words. Something to the effect of the run he had at Redbull was very special and you don't know how long something like that will last. It's like he either knew or sensed that level of domination was coming to an end.

Alex_Kung
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Alex Kung
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Ferrari
Canada

Post by Alex_Kung »

I am not a Vettel fan but I always thought he was a good driver.

I think he just lost his mojo and could not get it back. I recall reading one time that he felt that sports psychologists were useless or something like that. I however felt that a lot of his problems were frame of mind and that a sports psychologist could have helped him a lot when he was at Ferrari fighting for the championship.

At AM I can understand him finding it hard to be motivated with the car not being so great.