1/12 MFH Porsche 917 LH

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: 1/12 MFH Porsche 917 LH

Post by Noddy »

daves wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:20 pm Great work on a difficult build. We should not have to go thru this on a model of this $$$$ cost.
Dave
Despite the fan boys assertions that we should be grateful for whatever Hiro-san gives us I agree with the above: a lot of what is involved in building these kits should not be considered acceptable at this price point. The common response to that seems to be "oh, well, real modelers expect this and know how to deal with it" to which I say "rubbish". Life is too short to be re-engineering your way around shortcomings, errors, and problems in an $800 model kit. A lot of what we are given might have been acceptable back in the 1980s - but not now. Not by any stretch. Model building is supposed to be an enjoyable pleasant pass-time and to provide satisfaction not become a source of more stress and frustration and something that you have to put down and walk away from - sometimes for months or even years. I read a review just the other day of a build of an MFH model and I wasn't very far into it before the writer mentioned some difficulty that, in his words, caused the model to almost become a "lawn dart". That's just not right, not at this price point.
Not looking for any arguments, just stating my views because I see too many posting here who seem almost masochistic in their need to defend poor quality and things that are just not well thought-out or engineered properly. I think that the world marches on and we know from other makers that Hiro needs to be doing a better job.

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks a lot!

@Dave: yeah, I try not to think about that too much...

@Guido: I'm sorry, I assumed you invented magnetism :lol:

Again one step closer to the day of spraying primer... the goal was to finish the major filler work, mainly around the transversal roll bar part.

Masked the parts I did not want to unnecessarily sand down
Masked the parts I did not want to unnecessarily sand down
Used Tamiya polyester putty. I had an older tube, that dried for more than a day, but the freshly opened tube is perfectly sandable after an hour. Great stuff!
Used Tamiya polyester putty. I had an older tube, that dried for more than a day, but the freshly opened tube is perfectly sandable after an hour. Great stuff!
I prefer to apply thin layers, then sand and redo if needed.
I prefer to apply thin layers, then sand and redo if needed.
Starting to look good!
Starting to look good!
Also filled the horizontal gap that I overlooked in pic #2
Also filled the horizontal gap that I overlooked in pic #2
For the rest it's only minor imperfections; one more round of putty should be enough -- although looking at this picture I might redo the left door gap. Easy fix.
For the rest it's only minor imperfections; one more round of putty should be enough -- although looking at this picture I might redo the left door gap. Easy fix.

Thanks again for you interest,

Marcus

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

daves wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:20 pm Great work on a difficult build. We should not have to go thru this on a model of this $$$$ cost.
Dave
That's true Dave.
Because of this i made my own 917th with less issues i hope.
Regards Christian
Attachments
IMG20220815160257_copy_2304x3072.jpg
IMG20220815095652_copy_3072x2304.jpg
IMG20220814143857_copy_2304x3072.jpg
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

Leftkeys
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Bill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Leftkeys »

Marcus, “stuff” got in the way. I’ll be doing the Gulf livery 917K.

And @Dave, yup, I just put my MFH 956 back in the box…not all Mr. Hiro’s issues … the W-I-P was interrupted while I recovered from a stroke and a few other “speed bumps”. Between my issues and the body fit (the model’s not mine), it just wasn’t going to come together. I think the 1:12 Lotus 49 will be a good way to get ready for the 917.

-Felix-
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Felix
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
Germany

Post by -Felix- »

Honestly at this point I'm not even sure the original cars had that accurate panel gaps :D
fantastic work!

daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by daves »

Christian, your work is incredible!

Dave

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Ah well, been meaning to reply for a few days but eventually chrome decided to scrap my previously written texts. Anyway, Marcus, that is incredibly beautiful work! Also, I'm glad that some of my thoughts and / or ideas have been working for you. With the magnets I didn't even know they came in rod shape as I only ever saw (/searched for) the flat round ones that look like teensy versions of those CR-Type batteries. Now I guess I might have to have a look at those rod magnets as well. Once you get the door and panel gaps dialed in perfectly - as I'm sure you will - may I ask if you can be bothered to mould or cast those fixed doors? I mean the outer shape would be enough for me as I've still not given up on the idea of making the entire body from fibre glass...
That aside, as some say, the panel gaps on the real cars weren't super tidy which makes it even more awesome standing next to one such thing and just thinking about how they go way beyond 200 mph in these cars.

Christian, interesting - did you mould the engine of an MFH or did you get it as a 3D model from elsewhere? The block seems to be a part of the undertray with the exhaust headers and pipes, gearbox, fuel pump and intake stakes / fan assembly being separate parts (maybe cast or printed individually)... Nice! Your 917/10 didn't have an engine, is this an upgrade or another version?
Cheers,
Roman

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Looks pretty nice Marcus, it`s getting into shape, good job! :)

@Roman: You can get the magnets in different shapes, square, round rod and even as tape, opens up a lot of oppertunities!
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks again guys :)

@Roman: I purchased the magnets from the supermagnete webshop (German based), they have them in all sizes imaginable. Regarding your question about casting the doors: I don’t have the tool/materials/experience for that. What I could do, without having to put progress on hold, is create a mold from a slab of milliput, after covering the doors with plastic foil. Would that be helpful? Please note that my doors fit to my body (the car’s..), not necessarily to any other car… Btw creating a 917 from glassfiber sounds pretty ambitious!

@Christian: are you releasing this example as a kit? I might be interested in that case…

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

mvc wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:55 am
@Christian: are you releasing this example as a kit? I might be interested in that case…
Yes that's what I do. Only need to make the template for the windows ready and cast some of them.
And I need to make an part list so possible customer can seem what they will get

https://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com/mode ... -12-scale/

Regards Christian
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com