1/12 MFH Porsche 917 LH

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Re: 1/12 MFH Porsche 917 LH

Post by mvc »

Thanks again guys!

@Guido: I actually started masking with the intention to paint everything, but it just couldn't get it right. I used that 1mm flex tape to mask the white lines, but some corners were just too sharp.

@Roman: the kit actually contains glow-in-the-dark decals, but they are thick as linoleum so I'll pass on that ;) Btw I do have a sort of a side project, for these moments that I have to put the 917 aside (you might have spotted it in one or two few pics). But there is no question I will finish this one before starting a new major project! I must admit, I'm very much looking forward to work on some perfect-fitting trouble-free "comfort kit" (maybe another side project)...

Minor update today.

Blue line masked (on both sides with 1mm flex tape) and hand painted. Airbrushing would mean more masking (= more risk when removing the mask)
Blue line masked (on both sides with 1mm flex tape) and hand painted. Airbrushing would mean more masking (= more risk when removing the mask)
Masking near the edge is tricky with the flex tape, so it looks a bit messy (will be solved in the next round)
Masking near the edge is tricky with the flex tape, so it looks a bit messy (will be solved in the next round)
Couldn't do much more (need the blue line to dry before I can do the white line), so prepared some secondary parts
Couldn't do much more (need the blue line to dry before I can do the white line), so prepared some secondary parts
IMG_6865.jpg

Next up: the white line. (sorry, sounds a bit anti-climactic)

Marcus

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Yes, another series of pictures of a door...

Masking the white
Masking the white
Spraying the white
Spraying the white
Looks better!
Looks better!
Masking the green (after a break of course)
Masking the green (after a break of course)
Et voila...
Et voila...

Now let's hope the green is not too far off... Yesterday I did some minor tests on the body to check the color, and that looked good when sanded down lightly. But it's hard to compare the new glossy bright green with the sanded down green on the rest of the body. It's tempting to take on the rest too, but the other shapes are much harder to mask and I didn't mix enough paint for the whole thing anyway.

Cheers,
Marcus

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Another great step forward Marcus, i believe that masking and painting is a real pain on that, but you hit the nail again, brilliant job on those fixes! :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks again mate!

More repair work today.

These were the first I clear coated, but I was way too aggressive. So the blue is coming almost through the green decal. Decided to respray with the same green as the doors.
These were the first I clear coated, but I was way too aggressive. So the blue is coming almost through the green decal. Decided to respray with the same green as the doors.
Looks pretty good, I'll decide later if the white lines need another touch.
Looks pretty good, I'll decide later if the white lines need another touch.
The low hanging fruit...
The low hanging fruit...
On the rear cowling, I did mostly spot repairs where the results of broken decals are visible.
On the rear cowling, I did mostly spot repairs where the results of broken decals are visible.
IMG_6935_1.jpg
Careful with the trigger... The new green is a little bit brighter, but in real life the difference is much less visible. Especially when sanded.
Careful with the trigger... The new green is a little bit brighter, but in real life the difference is much less visible. Especially when sanded.
Fairly easy fix. Did 8 of these in total on the rear cowling.
Fairly easy fix. Did 8 of these in total on the rear cowling.

The plan is now to respray most of the green on the front cowling (that will be the hardest part), because that has the most decal damage. After that I need to improve some white lines here and there, as some were damaged from removing the masking.

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Carrying on!

Mask the areas that are hard to protect with tape. The part around the CIBIE decal will not be painted, because I will not risk putting tape on the decal.
Mask the areas that are hard to protect with tape. The part around the CIBIE decal will not be painted, because I will not risk putting tape on the decal.
Mask the green with 1mm flex tape
Mask the green with 1mm flex tape
And cover all the rest
And cover all the rest
All green done!
All green done!
Removed the masking as quick as possible, but carefully not to damage the white lines. Because it still took 5-10 minutes, the edges are a bit rough, but that it easily sanded smooth
Removed the masking as quick as possible, but carefully not to damage the white lines. Because it still took 5-10 minutes, the edges are a bit rough, but that it easily sanded smooth
Starting to look better again!
Starting to look better again!

I would like to redo the green parts of the rear cowling, but I'm getting tired of creating new damage by removing the masking (which already happened, not visible in the photos). So next up is repairing some white lines, some blue spots here and there, and then finally clear coating. Finishing in 2022 is not realistic anymore, but I have some free time next week, so I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Any thoughts on what color the inside of the rear cowling should have?

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Marcus,

I cheer you on for sticking with your plan and executing it. I would have stripped the entire thing and masked it by hand and spray painted everything. Seeing you do it like this going from fix to yet another fix like this is giving me anxiety and anger issues. And I'm not even handling the car. It is still sitting in its box after encountering some other anger issues (doors - which you got sorted brilliantly).
Cheers,
Roman

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

You are much better at this repair and blend work than I am Marcus. I salute you.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Marcus,

Great repair work.

I forgot to mention a trick that I learned for masking.

To prevent color bleed through the masking, seal around the mask using the same base color. This way, even if there is bleeding, it will not be noticeable as it is the same color. If you don't have the base color (as it may be a mix), use clear instead.

I peel of the mask before the new paint is dry to touch but not completely dry. I use a very shape knife to run around the edge of the mask carefully. This is to prevent the new paint coming off with the mask.

I am eager to see the rest of your work.
C K
Canada

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Very impressing Marcus, looks spot on now! :)
Take a stand!

jorgeralvear
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Jorge Alvear
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Kimi/Ferrari
Chile

Post by jorgeralvear »

Very impressive, you’ve overcome a lot and learned from this model how to handle setbacks and improve the result. Congratulations on not quitting! The results are very impressive!