Post away...

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: 1/12 Lotus 99t NUNU

Post by daveyman »

Well I never knew that about Goodyear Steve. Great bit of info. I always liked the haphazard application of stenciled logo's. Gave the tyre a bit of 'personality' if you like. Makes good sense as to why they changed but I definitely preferred the pre 1993 marking.

Topic author
plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

So do I.....
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

plastiksurgeon wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:08 pm
JamesB wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:56 pm Well it could be that, or just that the NUNU. photographer is wise and imitates the work of the best guys out there 8) 8)
Steve, tampographer tyres? I d say decals or stencil get a better job done :D
You are so right, James !!! For an authentic look, only a properly applied stencil job is accurate. The tires were down right shitty in those days, sometimes applied by crew members. The way I got it, from being at the track then as a working motorsports shooter, Leo Mehl, Goodyear's ambassador to racing in the day, visited a nascar race in '92 and saw what a shambles the tires sidewalls were. This was Goodyear's advertising space to the watching world, and it was not being utilized very well at all ! He instrumented a cleanup program immediately ! Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, in 1993, Goodyear started printing their logos on the racing tires, and to commemorate the change, made them yellow, just to get a little extra attention. I remember the talk around the Indycar and F1 paddocks in '92, that Leo was incensed and a change was coming.

So, again, ...you are so right James ! Stencil.

Steve Mohlenkamp
I had heard that the change from white to yellow tire lettering was brought on because of the change from bias ply to radial tires. But maybe it was just coincidence as well.

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Interesting discussion. I've always been anal about getting the lettering as close to concentric as humanly possible. Now I see that pre-1993, that isn't always the case. I assume that the amount of error should be minimized in 1/20 scale more so than 1/12 to some extent to look believable. Kinda like panel gaps. If the crews used separate stencils for the G**dyear and the Eag*e, then the G's and E's could not only be crooked, but also out of position to each other.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Oh Steve!! those bits of great experience, always sooo welcome :D
Thank you very much for sharing! :D :D
BTW, an idea... as stencil with "stepped" edges, as they do with plastiline on military modeling would be ideal, right? something definitely doable with 3D printing :wink:

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Garth is a member here, so hopefully he doesn’t mind me re-sharing, but this one of the clearest pics i’ve seen of a late 80s g-year.
Overspray clearly varied, but it would be easy to exaggerate. The plan was clearly for the stencil to align with the moulded outline.
Attachments
54AEB16C-ED0C-4C25-909D-55F12CDE4DF1.png

Craggyisland
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Wales

Post by Craggyisland »

Worth noting - Michael at Indycals is already selling a full decal set for the 1/12 99T. Just received mine - absolutely stunning, and delivered from the US to the UK in eight days! Just need the kit now...

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Well the August release date has come and gone. Any updates from Japan?

Topic author
plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

Spot model now shows it as November 30th, which is my birthday, so I would be more than happy to have it by then. It seems that Beemax and Ebro both string along their releases for up to a year or two.....
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

My birthday is December 8th. Yeah, gives me time to budget for it. What does Ebbro got coming?