World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Alex Kung
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Ferrari
Canada

Re: Cutting Printer help

Post by Alex_Kung »

I have a Silhouette Quickitz. It is about 4 generations old compared to the newest model. At the time I got it Silhouette allowed me to cut my own artwork whereas the Cricut didn't.

I use it to cut self adhesive Vinyl for masks. Since it is a bit stronger than something like Tamiya mask I believe I can get smaller diameter circles. I have done 2mm circles with no problems.

I would like to get a newer model since they can cut thin sheet styrene but I can not justify it since mine still works. I am still on the original blade which I think is a good thing as I do not believe I can get a replacement.

I use AutoCAD to draw up my artwork and then export it to the software for cutting.

Topic author
cristiano.molignoni
F3
F3
Your Name: Cristiano Molignoni
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet, Michael Schumacher
Brazil

Post by cristiano.molignoni »

Alex_Kung wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:25 pm I have a Silhouette Quickitz. It is about 4 generations old compared to the newest model. At the time I got it Silhouette allowed me to cut my own artwork whereas the Cricut didn't.

I use it to cut self adhesive Vinyl for masks. Since it is a bit stronger than something like Tamiya mask I believe I can get smaller diameter circles. I have done 2mm circles with no problems.

I would like to get a newer model since they can cut thin sheet styrene but I can not justify it since mine still works. I am still on the original blade which I think is a good thing as I do not believe I can get a replacement.

I use AutoCAD to draw up my artwork and then export it to the software for cutting.
Hi Alex, thanks for your feedback

I will probably go for a Silhouette

Cristiano

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

I've really not much practical experience to add to this. However, I have the Brother Scan 'n Cut and it's a nice machine where you can use either pens or small blades for either cutting or plotting - I believe this was being used to cut cloth before I bought, hence the pens to outline your cutting or sowing or whatever. Sadly I have not yet tried to cut really small holes. I only did a few of the included patterns to see if it actually works. It works well and does neat cuts. But the software you're supposed to use to create the files (to send to the printer) is utter shite. It feels like it was made a decade ago. Usability is mediocre at best. Scaling is possible, but really it's more like spitballing than actual "science". Once I get all my printers properly set up, I will try and see if there are alternative tools to do the layouts with.
Cheers,
Roman