Re: 1/8 Lotus 72 Pocher...

Post by cesar418 »

Thanks for sharing, looks really nice

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

SeanMAIN wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:05 pm People pay many hundreds for a lump of resin with a fraction of the detail and gush over those less detailed models that are very hard to build and never look quite right. I’m happy with my stash 21 1/8 scale cars and 5 1/4 bikes. Can’t say my wife is as happy. But they are a lot of fun to find and more fun to build.
BYW, HAPPY NEW YEAR
Odds of the Pocher Lotus getting finished by someone with moderate skills: probably 80-90%, despite how many unassembled F40 kits still show up.

Odds of most of the 1/12 scale Model Factory Hiro kits getting finished by anybody at all: I'm guessing somewhere below 30%.

Odds of Model Factory Hiro 1/12 scale kits getting finished to a high standard with all opening parts fitting correctly: <10%.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Noddy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:45 pm
SeanMAIN wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:05 pm People pay many hundreds for a lump of resin with a fraction of the detail and gush over those less detailed models that are very hard to build and never look quite right. I’m happy with my stash 21 1/8 scale cars and 5 1/4 bikes. Can’t say my wife is as happy. But they are a lot of fun to find and more fun to build.
BYW, HAPPY NEW YEAR
Odds of the Pocher Lotus getting finished by someone with moderate skills: probably 80-90%, despite how many unassembled F40 kits still show up.

Odds of most of the 1/12 scale Model Factory Hiro kits getting finished by anybody at all: I'm guessing somewhere below 30%.

Odds of Model Factory Hiro 1/12 scale kits getting finished to a high standard with all opening parts fitting correctly: <10%.

I would agree 100%, although there is no comparison between the old F40s vs the new products Pocher offers. The F40s allow a lot of detailing. The newer products don’t. The Lotus does have that exposed Cosworth though. Those MFH kit scare me. I don’t know how the gentleman who built the Sauber achieved that level of finish with one of those kits. I don’t build 1/12, but that car certainly got my interest.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

SeanMAIN wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:03 pm Those MFH kit scare me. <snip> I don’t build 1/12, but that car certainly got my interest.
There are 5-6 MFH 1/12 kits that have really called to me but I know deep down inside that (hopefully some years from now...) they will still be nothing but a box of bits when I pass on and will be a burden to my heirs to dispose of along with all the other crap that one accumulates during a life of many different passions.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

I had the Lotus 79 1/12th by MFH. I sold it. More, because I didn't have time and a proper work area for it. I hope to get a proper work area that clean and has venting before I get heavy into building again.

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I may get one of these someday. I took a look on ebay right now they are $900.00 and I have too many other things going on. I am going to keep an eye on this, reviews builds etc and someday if the time is right maybe.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

I’d like all their other releases, people will dump theirs before they shoot up in price. Look at the 1/4 bikes. The Anniversario vs the Final edition. You can still get the Final in the $700s and the Anni in $1000plus. It was the same with their Lambos. To me, it’s an ugly car and I’ll pass. I have more half of the Senna Lotus 97T. That model is stunning. Not sure how I’m getting the second half.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

SeanMAIN wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:09 pm I’d like all their other releases, people will dump theirs before they shoot up in price. Look at the 1/4 bikes. The Anniversario vs the Final edition. You can still get the Final in the $700s and the Anni in $1000plus. It was the same with their Lambos. To me, it’s an ugly car and I’ll pass. I have more half of the Senna Lotus 97T. That model is stunning. Not sure how I’m getting the second half.
Is there a 1/8th scale Lotus 97T?

Steve

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

There is. It’s only sold in Brazil and I think in Portugal. I bought it partially built with the engine unbuilt. So I have the front half, including wheels/tires and it’s beautiful. I think I paid $200-250. Something like that.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

SeanMAIN wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:25 pm It’s only sold in Brazil and I think in Portugal.
The mistakes made in marketing these models are just mind-boggling. Geographic distribution limitations that make no sense, marketing by horrible companies with (apparently) out-sourced call centers and terrible customer service. Highly desirable models that are somewhat over-priced to start with because of the subscription basis on which they are sold from a handful of companies that appear to share a common factory. One manufacturer of complete kits who can't seem to get their act together and actually get things to market in a timely manner or follow through on most of what they've said they were going to do. Pocher / Hornby have missed a lot of opportunities, ModelSpace is a terrible company to deal with, Ferrari F1 cars that are almost never seen outside of Italy and models like the LaFerrari that are only seen on Ebay coming from Russia. Factor in the relatively poor quality of some of the offerings and the long delays and it's enough to make you weep.