HELP!! CROMAGNON COMPUTER MAN DID IT AGAIN!

Post away...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

HELP!! CROMAGNON COMPUTER MAN DID IT AGAIN!

Post by JamesB »

Long story short, I tried to install a more complete Office-2010 from a HD I found, installation got aborted and so I destroyed my previous versions of Excel, Microsofts Outlook and Word.
I ave officially updated Win10. Any way I can restore the old programs, or download usable versions? I nearly downloaded an Excel, but was suspicious at the last minute, out there I am as helpless as a grandma in a drugdealer shop.
Also I once had a Ontrack "easy recovery" program that allowed to recover data from faulty HD. Anyone?
Thanks in advance!
J

Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Re: HELP!! CROMAGNON COMPUTER MAN DID IT AGAIN!

Post by Marcel »

If you have a licensed product, reinstalling that version shouldn't be a problem. I am not familiar with handling pirated copies ;-)

Marcel

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Yes, that. If you have an unlicensed Office copy and install it on Win10, MS will constantly ask you to register/buy/get the latest version and block its use otherwise.

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Openoffice could be a solution. This way you have some kind of Excel and Word for free. Been using that for years and works great. Outlook should be on your computer when you install your system.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

It's an inherited laptop, Win10 is an official update when it was offered for free, the Office pack was stored somewhere, and the original discs are lost long ago... :|
Openoffice can open the Excel and word files?

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

jaykay wrote:Yes, that. If you have an unlicensed Office copy and install it on Win10, MS will constantly ask you to register/buy/get the latest version and block its use otherwise.
It was official. I had never that kind of stuff, even after updating to Win10.
The problem has been when I found a further Office folder, I simply thought it'd be god and I'd update the thing, and that if it was not successful, it'd simply keep the former programs,, :roll:

SanMarino
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Post by SanMarino »

JamesB wrote:It's an inherited laptop, Win10 is an official update when it was offered for free, the Office pack was stored somewhere, and the original discs are lost long ago... :|
Openoffice can open the Excel and word files?
Another alternative is LibreOffice and may be the better option as my understanding is that it is the free open source office suite being actively developed.

I am a Mac OS user, and first started using OpenOffice over 12 years ago. Long story short, it changed ownership hands and a descendant of it today is LibreOffice, which I currently use along with MS office suit.

Both can open Excel and Word files, as well as save them in '.xls' and '.doc' file formats so they can be opened by Excel and Word. Only negative in doing so is that formatting can sometimes be affected.

Cheers,
Mike

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Great, Mike! :D thanks!
I will try this!

edgarmiro
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by edgarmiro »

libre office too. Funciona sense problemes Jaume :D

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Again the guy who means a clear and present danger to any computer within a mile distance, comes to you, guys, to ask for advice.
I am trying to make a silk purse from the bits of computers I have.
I finally managed to make a desktop PC start, no mean feat as I plugged all the wires in the proper place.
I see the motherboard screen (to make yourself an idea, I had never noticed this existed) and the sytem recognizes the HD´s present. But it stops in a few seconds with a "CPU temperature" warning.
Yes I read that if the heat-sink has been removed and/or it´s a bit loose and/or the thermal paste is missing, that´s frequent.
My question is if it ALWAYS will happen, in other words, if I manage to fix this, things should go well?
Thanks in advance!!! :D