What is wrong with just building things (or me)?

Ask away....

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

What is wrong with just building things (or me)?

Post by sky1911 »

Hi and welcome to this weeks Modellers Anonymous meeting, My name is "Gurpgork" (remember, it's modellers anonymous ;) - btw reference from the TV cartoon series "Archer") and I have a problem. Whenever I see a kit of a model I like, I ponder whether to buy it or not. Sometimes "it" happens at this stage. However, most of the time I eventually come to the conclusion to buy or postpone indefinitely (=do not buy). At some point I take delivery of the previous "buy" cases, open the new box, browse through the asorted parts and sprues. In some cases I close the box again, satisfied. But in other cases it is at this stage, that "it" happens. What is "it"? Well it is me starting to think about what to do with it. And "what to do with it" does not mean build per se (=OOB), but modify it, replace or recreate parts. And this gets to the point where no actual kit building happens because so much more time goes into drawing up ideas, making plans, writing notes and maybe even designing parts - either the oldskool way using pens and paper (my initial trade used to be draftsman) or digitally. Why am I writing this? Because it happened again. Just today. So I bought a 1/32 Fokker DR.1 WW1 plane kit. It arrived on my doorstep yesterday. I unwrapped it, browsed through it, noticed a wooden frame (what a surprise (not), that a WW1 era plane is built with a wooden frame) and started thinking that rather than painting that frame bit with whatever colours to pretend it is wood, why not just replace the "wooden" bits by actual wooden bits altogether? Now with that idea already dialed in as "going to happen", the next thought was "well while you're at it, you might as well build the entire inner structure of the fuselage (=read main body for the car guys ;)) from wood and then deck it in actual cloth (pantyhose or something). And when you're done with that, why not do the wings as well". You see where this is going. So in the end what would remain of the original kit in the built model would probably be the decals, engine, seat, guns and wheels. The rest would be rebuilt. And then you start looking for after market parts - which, to be honest, did start even before buying this kit this time around. So maybe even less of the original kit remains. And guess what. I bought this kit to get into building again plus (obviously) because I liked the subject. Now I know some folks ask "why even buy the kit, when you're going to redo most of it anyway" (see Uli's RSR thread, although I think that question was mock-serious there). Answer: In my case it wasn't meant to be like that, it just turned out or rather it is beginning to turn out like that. Really, I just wanted to buy that kit, build it real quick and admire the model. Then I saw a thread where someone builds / built (it's finished now, I think) three of them in one sitting and had some improvements using actual wood for them and there I go again. Now what usually happens is I get bogged down with this planning and workout out how to do things phase, that now the build phase is postponed indefinitely. It almost feels as if I get more joy out of thinking and planning than actual building. And in the end all this extra research, planning and the following recreation of already existing parts takes so much time that no building gets done.

So I ask you - what the f is wrong with me? Is that a leftover of my draftsman years, where I used to draw things (buildings for the most part) other people built? And who suffers from similar issues and what is your "cure" - if there is any?
With that I would like to close today's session ;).

PS: if it is in the wrong section - please move it elsewhere. Thank you
Cheers,
Roman

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: What is wrong with just building things (or me)?

Post by bestbalsakits »

nothing wrong, simply too much time on hands as length of your message also shows :D

wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I think its somewhat normal. I've currently fighting this by trying to make models as simply as possible to get my skills up. This means models are curbside, and for smaller parts that won't be seen after, I'll typically just paint it semi gloss black and know it won't be forgotten.

There are still models I want to super detail, like the Lotus 107 I have, but for the moment I know even if I start it, it won't get anywhere and then I'll just have my other skills atrophy.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

On the bus right now going to fix our flat to rent ‘s sink, so no time for full read, but till “OOB” i might have written this myself.
Passion for modeling. Nothing strange
At léast among us! :D

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Nothing wrong with you. The kit itself is just a suggestion. :cry: Frankly, I often use the kit parts as a pattern that I can improve on. I think that is part of the progression to a better modeler. The ultimate build is the one where you eventually replace the entire kit. :lol:

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

You know, on the one hand I want to finally finish a build (and soon) to actually get back in the saddle after an almost F40 lifespan hiatus from actual building and finishing something. But on the other hand I want to have and build the best possible result. So... with that DR.1 I bought something cheap to just build something. Now I'm at the planning a complete rebuild before I even started - stage again. Sort of en route to the DIY store to get some balsa while I'm there for my ongoing apartment remodel shopping.

As for aiming for perfection - and there are quite a few builds on here that I would put into that category. I take those as the yard stick following this old Indian proverb "Aim your arrow at the sun. You may not reach it, but your arrow will fly higher than if aimed at an object at your level". But at what point does the arrow come down? When you realize you either can't reach that goal or when you simply ran out of steam?

Stu.. I like that approach, but knowing me, I' would probably start down that way, and then realize that it's not what I really want and start over, getting back to the crazy stage. How do you improve your skills if you're trying to make your models as simply as possible. Do you try to bring the models to roughly the same "basic" level and then start practicing certain techniques over and over until you got them dialed to apply to the models, then move to the next technique or skill?
My problem with keeping things simple or OOB is that one look at them makes me think "looks like a toy", especially when working the larger scales where you have so much more opportunity to add realism / details...

and Wim, writing is one of my actual talents, that usually takes little time - however, that ends up with me applying phonetic spelling ;) which then needs to be redacted at a later time.
Cheers,
Roman

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

With more time (in the bus again but home bound :lol: ) I’ ll add that when “it looks as though I have more fun doing...” is usually cos you actually do :D do enjoy the planning and that s it!
For this case: make one in wood and the other stock box 8)
Ed: time??? No idle at all I’d bet!!
Last edited by JamesB on Sat May 09, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

PeteJ wrote:Nothing wrong with you. The kit itself is just a suggestion. :cry: Frankly, I often use the kit parts as a pattern that I can improve on. I think that is part of the progression to a better modeler. The ultimate build is the one where you eventually replace the entire kit. :lol:
I have mentioned my ideas on the 917 MFH kits right? Build a jig for the tube frame (bottom layer done, upper layers to be done). Then use it as a quasi assembly line for the frames of all the 917 models I have plus maybe a few extra (you'll see why later). Building the frames from aluminium tubing with maybe additional brass rod inside for strength near the joints. Shape the MFH body parts such that they match perfectly in dry assembly, then make a mould of them and use it to lay up the bodies in scale fibre glass. Oh and I have been in contact with a model foundry for casting the engine parts in aluminium (significantly lighter than the WM kit parts) - they wouldn't do magnesium for fear of burning down their shop. So, I'd say that's pretty much the level of insanity I'm suffering from :P. Ah, I'm the "I prefer the the original materials over something painted to look like something it is not" type...
Cheers,
Roman

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Roman,

Someone call this AMS: "Advance Modeler Syndrome".

Most modelers have artistic talents to create something. We take the path to use kits as a quick start. Once our skill passes a certain level, our creativity urge will come out. We no longer satisfy with just assembling. We want to create something by ourselves. So we want to create new parts or scratch build the whole thing.

I am in the same boat. I have about 300 kits in various stage of building (or hecking :D ). My dream is to build a P34 in 1/24 scale completely from scratch with a real aluminum chassis. I have a plastic chassis done as an experiment and than stopped. What I find out is I need a lot of energy to complete a project like this. I don't have the energy now because of my daytime work.

The good thing is this urge of creation gives me a lot of fun just by dreaming what to do. I just finished updating a 2D plan for Mercedes C111 car so that I can correct the old LS kit that I just bought. I find that I also enjoy a lot just doing the drawing. I am an engineer and trained on doing these type of things.

I have also the guilt feeling from time to time of not finishing more kits that I have started. Hey, This is just my hobby. I don't want any more pressure on it. My day time job is already stressful enough as it has lots of deadlines to meet.

Well, hope everyone just relax and enjoy whatever we do with our hobby.
C K
Canada

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I'll build a resin or plastic kit as curbside to the absolute best of my ability but if the internals are going to be unseen I won't waste time on them. That way I can speed a build up a bit because, like most of us, even with the intention of building OOB I always end up changing/adding pieces so if I'm in the mood for a full detail build then I accept it'll take longer. Main thing is that I enjoy anytime I get to spend modelling.