willster127
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Lee
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
United States of America

Re: Finally FW14B detail set

Post by willster127 »

The engine in the kit is a mess, a mess that has been addressed by Top Studio!

The bodywork in the kit though is earlier season with high downforce wings. One area of difference is the diffuser and rear engine cover, the white angled portions at the back of the engine cover, where they meet the diffuser, are vertical later in the year, the back of the diffuser is also a different shape in the center section and the flat portion where it runs inside the rear wheels.

Pictures are hard to find, but I've found some videos that if you're quick on the pause button can confirm the rear body style.. Here's a snap shot of the British GP qually car that I'm building, same as the kit as you can see, and a rear pit stop view of the Portugal GP with the vertical white section, that is the body and diffuser from the F1modlz images which is quite different to the kit. For what it's worth the Hungarian GP had the kit rear section too.

From the Haynes manual, the RS4 was used in qually from the Spanish GP and then for the next 6 races, then it's race intro was from Hungary onwards.
Attachments
Portugal.JPG
Portugal.JPG (11.02 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Silverstone pole lap.JPG

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Great informations, thank`s a lot!
Take a stand!

GTF2
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Graham Trotter
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams

Post by GTF2 »

gp-models wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:43 am GT-F2 should be able to answer these questions, i hope he will post about that when he reads it.
There were not many external modifications to the FW14B during the season if you discount the wing levels and brake ducts.
Corrected-There were three different rear diffusers used from South Africa it was then changed in France and then the final iteration in Portugal.
3F29FEBB-24B7-46F5-9D41-8B18FBC74A80.jpeg
3F29FEBB-24B7-46F5-9D41-8B18FBC74A80.jpeg (21.1 KiB) Viewed 361 times
5D3A88EE-07C0-418D-97D2-071FBCB36044.jpeg
5D3A88EE-07C0-418D-97D2-071FBCB36044.jpeg (17.43 KiB) Viewed 361 times
7BB886B6-2C14-440A-B4C5-AFB4C725B474.jpeg
7BB886B6-2C14-440A-B4C5-AFB4C725B474.jpeg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 361 times
The pictures added in the wrong order but the top one is Portugal onwards, the middle is the French GP one and the bottom is South Africa.
When building the model you should also be aware that the radiator hot air exit duct changed from race to race so you will have to look at reference books for this and the wing levels.
Note that the on-board camera changed as of Monza and was of the silver type (with the cross on the top-antenna?)
Internally, when modelling the left sidepod you should also leave off the anodised gold boxes if you are modelling a car where it didn’t carry a camera and as of Monza only use the smaller gold box.
For example, Mansells car had no camera at Monza and that box wasn’t fitted whereas Patrese’s car had the box and camera.
I will see what I can dig out on brake ducts, there were about 3or4 different types of front and rear from memory.
Last edited by GTF2 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Many thx for these informations GTF2, that`s what i`m looking for and to make a descission on what engine kit i wll order. :)
I have to dig out the other informations about the mistakes in the kit and have to look if and how i can change those. Hopefully not that much, but like the parting line around the front suspension, not easy to fix.
Take a stand!

NachoZ
F2
F2
Your Name: John
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Lotus, McLaren, Red Bull
United States of America

Post by NachoZ »

I am relatively new to the whole Top Studio detail up sets and don’t have a lot of knowledge of their past sets. I have no idea if this last set, the engine set, is the last one for the Williams or if there will be more. Can anyone shed some light on this? I’m not sure what else they could do for this model. Thanks!

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

NachoZ wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:22 pm I am relatively new to the whole Top Studio detail up sets and don’t have a lot of knowledge of their past sets. I have no idea if this last set, the engine set, is the last one for the Williams or if there will be more. Can anyone shed some light on this? I’m not sure what else they could do for this model. Thanks!
Well if the MP4/6 was any indication they will at some point (hopefully soon) release a set for the FW14B that is all inclusive as they did with the MP4/6. With the MP4/6 set is was slightly cheaper if you waited and bought the complete set VS buying everything in the individual sets. Not sure though if Top Studio has anything more planned for the FW14B though so stay tuned....
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

In generell i would say they are done and the engine set as well as the drive shafts have been the last missing parts. But maybe they find something more.
As Derek pointed out right, at the end we will see a full set with all detail sets complete in one, they announced it somewhere ago as far as i remember.
A great add on to the Mclaren and the Williams would be different rear wing set ups for some special grand prix, but unlikely there are several other changes to be done to some races which makes it hard to bring such sets as you have to change severall other parts too like mentioned. I don`t believe that TS is up for 2 or 3 different undertrays finaly. It`s just a wish and guessing but i think they will now take focus on the remaning Ferrari and do a set for that too. :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

gp-models wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:17 am It`s just a wish and guessing but i think they will now take focus on the remaning Ferrari and do a set for that too. :)
They can skip this one ;) something for the "older" kits would be amazing

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

NachoZ
F2
F2
Your Name: John
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Lotus, McLaren, Red Bull
United States of America

Post by NachoZ »

Thank you for the responses to my question. I’m getting excited to start on my Williams but wanted to wait until I had all of my aftermarket items. I had purchased the Thunder Valley items and the RB Motion items years ago and now wonder how much of them I will actually use.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Well, if you have the TV and RBMotion parts already, the Top Studio is almost redundant. You'll certainly not use all of them.