Common pitfalls with clear coat over decals?

Ask away....

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Common pitfalls with clear coat over decals?

Post by stubeck »

I'm using 2k clear coat for the first time, and having pretty good success with it. I did have some spraying issues with it, but found out shortly after inspecting the airbrush that there was an accumulation of dried clear coat on the tip of the airbrush.

On my FW24, I'm planning to clear over the decals, hoping that it will both protect them while also helping cover some of the wrinkles in the decal. I'm giving them at least a week or more to dry before putting a clear coat on, but am still concerned I'll either have melting or floating problems with them. What are some techniques to avoid this? I have a few decals which aren't laying down perfectly, but I figure I'll counteract this with several light mist coats (more than the Splash 2k clear asks for, which is 2 + wet coat) but any other tips would be great. Thanks!

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Common pitfalls with clear coat over decals?

Post by gp-models »

I usually clear coat all my models with 2k clear, in the mean real automotive 2k stuff, i never had issues with decals or basepaint when they dried enough infront of clear coating, and your planned 1 week is normaly realy enough to move on with clear coating. Only had issues with 1k, especially when using different basecolours and clear from a different supplier, thats why i do a testspray infront on a waste piece to check if it will work out.
To prefend edges from the decals when clear coating, is spray i light coat to the edges of the decals first, the a full wet one. If the clear is going down with structure, you can thin it a bit more out, or even use a larger nozzle on the spray gun. It depends on what scale your painting too, as smaller the scale, a small nozzle is prefered, 1:43 example 0,2-0,3 nozzle. For 1:20 i would go for a 0,5mm nozzle, brings down the wet coat faster and protects structure in the paint job.
Good luck with your project ;)
Take a stand!

klinad
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH
China

Re: Common pitfalls with clear coat over decals?

Post by klinad »

Mist coat then wet coat will do the job, no issues normally. I assume you spray over the tamiya decals, 2k works fine with them. I usually spary a light coat of 1k clear before the 2k, just to burn the decals a little bit to the base coat, also gives the model a fresh surface without contaminations, which will cause fish eyes etc. but it's just an option.