Grip 1/8 Porsche Build

Area to upload images of work(s) in progress...

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Grip 1/8 Porsche Build

Post by WardsModelBuilder »

Here is an update on the progress on the Grip 1/8th scale Porsche RSR. The engine is now complete, I put a lot of effort into the detailing around the engine and getting the colouring of the turbo and tailpipes looking the way I wanted as well as the weld lines on the pipe joins.

I have also got the chassis painted and the front suspension mounted.

I haven't got around to the body paint yet as I discovered a major flaw in the fitment of the right hand side door. There was a quarter inch gap between the door frame and the edge of the main body so i have had to fill that with a piece of plastic, putty over it and sand down.

Its had another coat of primer since that photo so the next step is paint. I have also made a start on assembling the rear suspension which will be on the chassis in the next update.

Chris
http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

A couple more photo of the progress of the Porsche, the rear suspension is now on the chassis but there is further work to be done on the swing arms to remove the join lines after they were installed.

The silver base coat is now finished, took a lot of work painting, sanding, and re sanding to get a smooth finish and work out the small imperfections in the body. Especially with it being in such a large scale. Still need to finish the doors, they will then be positioned so I can paint the red areas, as the original red decals are too damaged to be used.

Chris

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

very nice Chris, what a monster

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

No new decal set?
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Post by acer709 »

Looking great Chris.
Your client will be very pleased!

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

capri-schorsch wrote:No new decal set?
I'm going to be doing decals for this kit (minus the red), but I won't be getting around to them until June.

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Few more photos of the work carried out this week,

Started work on the interior, firewall, fuel tank, seat and dashboard. There are not any decals for the dials on the dashboard, not sure is they have been lost over the years or if in fact the kit didn't include any, but I have been able to make some which should do the job.

I have now prepared the hood and the doors in base coat, and masked the body up for the red paint to replace the red decals that we are not using.

Next on the list is to finished the dashboard, seat belts and some wiring that I plan to add to the back shelf which will be viewable through the rear window.

Thanks
Chris

shurick
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by shurick »

Nice progress Chris! I kinda stalled with my build but this gives me inspiration to get back to it. My build thread is here and hopefully I will get back to it soon.

https://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ex+porsche

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

shurick wrote:Nice progress Chris! I kinda stalled with my build but this gives me inspiration to get back to it. My build thread is here and hopefully I will get back to it soon.

https://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ex+porsche

Lovely detail on the dash, really like the screw heads you put on there. Did your kit have the decals for the speedo etc? just curious if they were included in the kit as the one I was supplied with didn't have any on the original decal sheet. Hope you are able to get back to building your soon.

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Its been quite a good week regarding progress on the porsche build, after masking off the body shell I went ahead and painted the red sections. Probably by more luck than judgement I got the masking just about right for the curves of the blue decals that separate the red and silver. We decided to give the original decals a try before committing to purchase a new set, and I'm very happy we did as even though they were in pretty poor condition with many cracks I was able to apply them without them deteriorating any further. I did suffer a few further little cracks on the rear bumper sections, those that needed bending around the curve but after a lot of trial and error I managed to get them to bend and stick, and hold together!!!!

Still a little bit of tidying up needed but very happy with the results so far considering these decals are so old. In the next few days will be clear coating the body.

Also been working on some details for the back shelf, and although not historically accurate I believe its adds a nice touch to the model, and more importantly the client does too. Due to this models scale I made my own electrical wire, using some braided tubing, fine modeling wire and shrink tubing. I'm finding working in this larger scale makes this kind of work quite a lot easier.

Next up is to finish the front end of the chassis with the parts included in the kit, battery, oil tank, fire extinguisher etc, along with added a few more bits of extra wiring, while at the same time finishing the body ready for final sanding and polishing.

Getting there!!!

Thanks
Chris