Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

How to paint mesh on WRC cars?

Post by stubeck »

A bunch of WRC cars have mesh grills with either sponsorship or manufacturer logos on them. The kits typically come with paper templates to use to paint with, but I'm baffled as to how I'm supposed to ose them other than simply pricking a bunch of holes in the design (most are circular.) Any tips would be very helpful!

The specific car I'm building is the 2002 Ford Focus RS WRC, shown below:

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Re: How to paint mesh on WRC cars?

Post by MoFo »

Trace template onto masking tape; apply tape to mesh, paint?
Je ne regrette rien.

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Assume I'd just be super careful and cut the template off on the mesh to get the O and D as well as the circle on there? Transferring it over doesn't seem like i'd work very well.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Are you referring to the mesh templates printed on the instruction manual? That Ford oval is just for reference for what it should look like. If you notice on the pic of their finished kit, they didn't use an oval on their front grille. What you need is a PE mask. Renaissance made some way back when. ( and suddenly i'm noticing just how much I hate those silly plastic hood locks....)( I think they also made correct headlamps for that years Focus....)
Attachments
2016_12290001.JPG

fade_to_black
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by fade_to_black »

Hello

I've never done that specific model, however I've done the Works Focus and some Peugeot 206.
Tamiya instruction manual has a "real size" template that I used to overlay the mesh. I just simply put the mesh over the template and used some tape to fix the mesh in the instruction manual.
With a fine brush and just a small piece of white paint you can draw the logo, since you can see through the mesh. I found it very simple. I don't have my models around to show some pics, but I think it wasn't that bad...

Sorry for the bad English
Good luck and please post some pics of your progress (I really like rally cars!!)
Best regards
Finishing: Sauber C30; Lotus 107C
Next: Porsche 917k; Ford Focus WRC 2010

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Several years ago I was able to by a photoetched stencil for all the major WRC cars at the time. Mitsubishi, Ford, Subaru, Peugeot and a couple of others. I purchased it from Hobby Link Japan but can't find it on their web site. I think that it was made by Accustation. It is late tonight, but I will see if I have the original package and product number tomorrow.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

PeteJ wrote:Several years ago I was able to by a photoetched stencil for all the major WRC cars at the time. Mitsubishi, Ford, Subaru, Peugeot and a couple of others. I purchased it from Hobby Link Japan but can't find it on their web site. I think that it was made by Acu-Stion. It is late tonight, but I will see if I have the original package and product number tomorrow.
FOUND IT! Here is the link to Acu-Stion's website. Now the trick is to find one for sale. Hobby link Japan shows it as discontinued and a quick search came up blank. It is listed as 1/24 Radiator Paint Template Set. http://acustion.net/shop/?subcats=Y&pco ... cts.search

Scoobyfan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Hakkinen
South Africa

Post by Scoobyfan »

PeteJ wrote:
PeteJ wrote:Several years ago I was able to by a photoetched stencil for all the major WRC cars at the time. Mitsubishi, Ford, Subaru, Peugeot and a couple of others. I purchased it from Hobby Link Japan but can't find it on their web site. I think that it was made by Acu-Stion. It is late tonight, but I will see if I have the original package and product number tomorrow.
FOUND IT! Here is the link to Acu-Stion's website. Now the trick is to find one for sale. Hobby link Japan shows it as discontinued and a quick search came up blank. It is listed as 1/24 Radiator Paint Template Set. http://acustion.net/shop/?subcats=Y&pco ... cts.search
mediamixhobby.com.sg appears to have the Radiator Paint Template in stock currently.

https://www.mediamixhobby.com.sg/shop/a ... e-set.html