Tamiya Leyton House

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Tamiya Leyton House

Post by bossy122 »

Hello! As i'm nearing the completion of my current project, I thought i'd start prepping for the next. The next will be the Tamiya Leyton House CG901B kit. For me, this one comes from the shelf of doom as I had NO intention of building this kit that I inherited last year. Why? Good question! I know this one's on everyone's to get list as it is a pretty car but I built this kit previously and hated - H A T E D - it! For the most part because of the engine cover and the head rest area. Tamiya made 2 pieces that have very little area to put together a strong bond and after I had painted and decaled the thing, I went to put it over the engine and CRACK! Both seams split.....soooo pissed. This I hope to correct with some Tamiya Epoxy Putty on the inside to strengthen it.
The other problem was that when I finished, the car looked like a lizard on a hot rock, one rear foot up, one front foot up. I had to mount the car to the display base to correct that.
The reason I decided to do this one instead of sell it off ( other than i'm incredibly lazy) is because Studio 27 just released a carbon fibre set for this kit. My achilles heel, apparently! I can't resist that stuff! So hopefully this build goes better with the lessons I learned from the first build and it will be a more pleasurable experience ( cause I really hated that first build....did I mention that? :wink: ).

Last edited by bossy122 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Leyton House

Post by billgtp »

I will set here in cooler ca. to watch this build as I feel the same about this kit

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

She does look cool when done. I understand this Adrian Newey design was a very tight fit for Gugelmin and Capelli -- so narrow it squeezed their legs -- but it sure is sharp.

Will be interesting to see if you paint the green areas or use the decals. And it's funny how many of us (myself included) want to go back and re-build kits we did years ago.

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Eagle50 wrote:She does look cool when done. I understand this Adrian Newey design was a very tight fit for Gugelmin and Capelli -- so narrow it squeezed their legs -- but it sure is sharp.

Will be interesting to see if you paint the green areas or use the decals. And it's funny how many of us (myself included) want to go back and re-build kits we did years ago.

Cheers, Chris

I intend to paint it white, then blue and finally the green with Shunko decals.
With Studio 27s release of all these carbon sets, i'm just about to finish the Ferrari 2001 that I already did, I did the MP4/4 for a 2nd time. I'll end up doing the Ferrari 89 ( for a third time ) and at least the MP4/5B for a second time. All because of those carbon sets....thanks, Studio 27! :D

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Building one of these guarantees my interest. I loved it when Tamiya made the mid grid cars. This one is a real beauty and the C/F decals should look stunning on it.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Tamiya Leyton House update 1

Post by bossy122 »

I went straight for the problem area first on this thing. I globbed that epoxy putty on like a crab building a home! Be damned if that seam is going to crack on me again! Problem is: that stuff takes a LOT of elbow grease to sand off, but I did!

I also assembled the tub. I had forgotten that you get to assemble the tub with a piece of suspension sticking out of it! Lots of fun having to work around that. Puttied and sanded out the seams.

I dry fit it to see how well the engine cover sits with all that putty inside. Seems okay. Moving forward...

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

Aw man this kit is on my bucket list for sure! Still in the bidding on an auction on ebay, hope I win it. I'm not sure what it is about this kit that draws me to it, the shape, the color, being a midfield car? The rarity? Is this kit that rare? I'm not sure but i will follow along for sure!!! Hope to learn alot along the way :)
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

mobiusone wrote:Aw man this kit is on my bucket list for sure! Still in the bidding on an auction on ebay, hope I win it. I'm not sure what it is about this kit that draws me to it, the shape, the color, being a midfield car? The rarity? Is this kit that rare? I'm not sure but i will follow along for sure!!! Hope to learn alot along the way :)

Good luck on the auction and hopefully I can show you the kits pitfalls along the way.

keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

Yes, this is on my bucket list as well. I have the Tamiya paint, and S27 accessories aren't far behind, but finding a kit?....

Looking forward to your expertise on the build!

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Tamiya Leyton House update 2

Post by bossy122 »

Got the main parts painted, moving forward nicely (helps when you know where the problems are!). Now I can carbonize the tub!

I copied the decals to use as templates for masks. As you can see, there's a couple of other projects copied as well.

And the finished paint jobs. TS 26 covered with TS 41 and topped off with Mr Color no. 66 green. (That grout is HORRIBLE! Where's the cleaning lady?)