FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Hasegawa 1/24 Jaguar XJR-9 LM

Post by vanhookvintage »

Hi Everybody,

Well here goes! :shock: :shock: :shock:

This kit has been intimidating me from the :twisted: Shelf of Doom :twisted: for quite a while, mainly because: I'm not sure of the condition of the decals; there are some very large decals and the decals in the only other Hasegawa kit I built were pretty fragile, even without solvent; some areas will need to be painted purple (or "Violet" - what we named our new girl kitten) and I hope Tamiya TS-37 Lavender for their XJR-9 kit will match the Hasegawa decals (I haven't tested that yet); I've never masked and painted window or headlight cover frames before (maybe that's why I prefer building F1 :lol: ); and lots of detail needs to be picked out with careful masking or brush-painting techniques, which I hope I can manage.

Also, I'll need to eliminate the molded-in seatbelts and replace with cloth and PE, and I'll probably be adding some CF here and there, both of which have ground me to a halt on other WIPs here.

On the positive side, I really look forward mixing paint for all of the various non-standard colors, decanting paint, and airbrushing with my new Iwata airbrushes (Punxsutawney Phil "forecasts" an early Spring, so Yaaaay!)
xjr9 box lid.jpg
xjr9 sprues.jpg
xjr9 decals.jpg
xjr9 aftermarket.jpg
Stay tuned. :D :D :D
Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

shahir
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: Hasegawa 1/24 Jaguar XJR-9 LM

Post by shahir »

great car...it would be an awesome build once complete
all the best :D :D

adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

Love the silk cut livery! looking forward to this one.

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

Love this one!
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

A beauty of a car. And a good little kit too. I built the '87 version. Painting the purple is definitely the way to go.

Tomtom12
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
Great Britain

Post by Tomtom12 »

Great subject love the Le Mans cars

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Looking forward to following your build, it's an awesome looking car once complete. I really feel that to do it full justice you need to ditch the decals and paint all the purple areas, just my thoughts...
Steve Noble

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

It has been forever since a Jag was done, watching with interest..and what a great choice.

Topic author
vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

Hi All,

It's been extraordinarily cold here, so, since my spray booth is in the unheated garage, all I've got are images of white plastic. I love this kit, I hope I can press on through and get it finished. A very cool car. 8) 8) 8) I've assembled the paint I need: Gravity Colors white/Tamiya TS-37 & kit decals purple, and Vallejo and Testors acrylics for everything else. :D :D :D Clear will be Gaia Color EX-03.

Making some progress, despite the cold. The body has been assembled with spats, fuel fillers, and rear panels, and yes, if you look closely, that's kitten fur (from new family additions of Violet and Max) sticking to the left side of the body :lol:. Tires are sanded, and the tire/wheel/brake assemblies (and everything else) are just waiting on some warm weather for progress.
qtr view w hair.jpg
close front qtr.jpg
fuel filler.jpg
The piece in front of the car is a radiator outlet lip that had to be removed, as this kit was configured for LeMans and Daytona, apparently. That was a fun diversion (NOT!).
top view.jpg
I'm afraid that painting the trim/gaskets around the "glass" will be my un-doing. There is such a slight amount of relief molded in between the glass and the gaskets that even with the sharpest XActo blade, I don't see how creating masking for this will be successful, whether using BMF or masking tape, or whatever. So, please, any advice will be most appreciated.
glass.jpg
Thanks for looking. I hope I can do this car justice.

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Great one. you can do it