WIP Tameo 1/24 F2002

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: WIP Tameo 1/24 F2002

Post by keithwwalker »

Question: is this kit a curbside or does it have engine detail?

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

It's a curbside but the gearbox and the rear of the engine heads are visible through the rear area suspension. The gearbox and suspension mount points are exposed and you can see into the rear of the engine bay sort of like this:
pict0730.jpg
Cheers,
AJ

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Shaping work continues on the sidepod ducts. They have a complex profile in 3D and they have to match the intake red painted areas at the front of the sidepod while also matching the radiator parallelogram faces at the rear. Buhhh.

Okay, so, let's add more material at the sides to be able to carve the shape in a curve to match the inner intake face which is painted red. This part will be carbon fiber when done but the outside edge has to curve a bit.

So first we add plasticard material to give some thickness, and we round the outer corners to allow this all to fit inside the kit bodywork.
Build 84 sm.jpg
Build 85 sm.jpg
Then we fabricate some inner split plates since this intake actually divides into two interior ducts, one for the radiator and one for the oil cooler on each side.
Build 83 sm.jpg
Then we shape the sidepod edges some with the tools, some carving with blades and Dremel, and then we fit the inner dividers to check placement.
Build 86 sm.jpg
This is going pretty well here, so I'm pleased for the moment. Work continues...

AJ

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

AJP01 wrote:While waiting for the airbox resin to cure completely I did a resin mold and cast of the steering wheel also. This is so I can grind off the smaller dials/switches on the wheel and remake them using individual switches, which will be easier to paint before setting them in the wheel. Tameo does a nice white metal steering wheel with details but in 1/24 it would be difficult to paint, thus the effort to cast a copy and work with each switch individually.

Been busy with the silicone and resin on this build so far...
Build 44 sm.jpg
Cheers,
AJ
I'm very interested in your build AJ as I've had this kit along with the F2000 for many years. Are you familiar with the Scale Motorsport photoetch set for the Revell F2003GA?
It has some very nice detail pieces for the steering wheel that you might find very helpful. I think that it's out of production but there are a number of them on EBay.

Paul Erlendson

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Thanks for the feedback all. Good motivation!

Paul - appreciate the note. No, I had not thought of the SMS F2003GA detail set in 1/24 but I will certainly be taking a look at it now. I agree there are pieces in there that will be very useful I think.

So, now that we've got a better look at how things are fitting for the intake sidepod areas and splitters we can shape/round the edges a bit to get the right final profile. This is to match as closely as possible the outer bodywork lip for the intake itself, and it's a bit tricky as commented earlier.

We shape and putty, profile, sand, etc...
Build 87 sm.jpg
Making sure we like the look of the profile from front and back, so that we get a good look inside once done...
Build 88 sm.jpg
Build 89 sm.jpg
And check things against the final look before committing to this shaping. Looks just about right, and now once we add the splitters back into it will look like the reference photos. This is a look at the car bodywork with the newly-shaped part held just below for a check:
Build 90 sm.jpg
To avoid getting burned out on one part of the car I like to switch around a bit, so now back to the floor pan.

Lots of straightening and thinning still underway. This is a look at the rear diffuser tunnel and you can see the top edge with a bit of thinning while the bottom side has yet to be done:
Build 91 sm.jpg
This gives an indication of how much extra material was removed, and we could safely say this is being done on all edges of this floor until it looks right.

More to come. Thanks for looking!

AJ

wilchan
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Will C
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mika Hakkinen, Jacque Villeneuve
United States of America

Post by wilchan »

Woohoo!!! this is an excellent work AJ!!! Please keep the updates coming :)
Visit my personal page: http://www.wilchan.com :)

http://www.wilchan.com/j199/img_icon_1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/f2001/img_icon1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/m193/img_icon1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/r1/img_icon1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/f310b/img_icon1.jpghttp://wilchan.com/lotus_102/img_icon1a.jpg

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Back at it.

Now we bond the splitters into place after refining their shape, and we begin the process of fitment into the chassis casting.

Bond with some CA and set the correct angles for the split PE radiators / oil coolers:
Build 92 sm.jpg
Build 95 sm.jpg
Build 97 sm.jpg
Build 96 sm.jpg
Then we figure out a way to set correct alignment into the chassis so that when we cut this seat away (still debating that) we can ensure that the sidepods fit into the car with the exact same position.

Mark positions with some black lines:
Build 98 sm.jpg
Then drill matching holes in the chassis and the sidepod fabricated elements both, carefully matching their exact position as closely as possible.
Build 99 sm.jpg
Fit pins made from aluminum rod with a slight taper on the ends.
Build 100 sm.jpg

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Then see if it all works:
Build 102 sm.jpg
Yes - looks good so far.
Build 101 sm.jpg
Back to the floor and also to shaping the sidepod inlets in the white metal with some puttying and smoothing.

Cheers,
AJ

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

looking really good.

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Thanks Grumpy!

Time to start working on the cockpit area a bit as well as floor refinements.

The tub floor has already been worked on a bit as shown in prior posts, but it's still got some rough edges:
Build 104 sm.jpg
Need to thin and smooth those edges and get them into a workable profile so that when they are bonded into the main tub I can blend them seamlessly using putty and styrene. Now this is looking much better and I'll repeat the process on the other side:
Build 104B sm.jpg
This is the area that the floor will bond to and I've already been grinding it to shape in preparation for more work. It will need a good blending plus some added material to get the inner tub wall to the correct shape, which will be critical later on:
Build 107 sm.jpg
Build 108 sm.jpg
The cockpit wall needs a better, straighter profile. So, adding plastic card to form a base for the upcoming putty work and blending, carefully measured and cut to the right basic shape to minimize putty:
Build 112 sm.jpg
You can see better in this picture the fit I'm attempting to get, which will work well for the putty soon. The floor is held in place here and you can see the ground-down edge that I'm going to feather in with putty. Bonding this firmly in place.
Build 116 sm.jpg
Cheers,
AJ