WIP Tameo 1/24 F2002

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: WIP Tameo 1/24 F2002

Post by AJP01 »

More work on the floor pan while the putty cures in the cockpit area.

After lots more work with the Dremel and files, this rear diffuser area has arrived at a near-done shape. Very close quarters in here to work with tools (remember this is 1/24 which is surprisingly smaller than 1/20 when working with it). But it's looking much better now.
Build 119 sm.jpg
Build 120 sm.jpg
Build 122 sm.jpg
Had to adjust the rear plank area to allow the rearmost plank section to sit flat. By grinding away some of the center triangular flat area I can file the edges lower to allow proper fit.
Build 123 sm.jpg
Build 124 sm.jpg
Build 125 sm.jpg
Cheers,
AJ

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Post by RE60B »

Hello very interressing, and rare.

go!

cheers, Cedric

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Thanks Cedric - appreciate it.

Continue working on the floor, we have to perform some slight adjustments to get it absolutely flat and level to the reference plane since a lot of changes have been made to it.
Build 136 sm.jpg
Use a flat piece of wood to check, and find that we have some slight bending to get the level plank in the center and the edges to line up correctly. You'll also notice that I've added some plastic spacers to the area where the screws will attach this floor plane to the upper bodywork, so that I can get accurate spacing and so that no bending pressure will be applied to the floor when those screws are tightened.

Bend, re-bend, adjust, bend again, and so on for about an hour.
Build 139 sm.jpg
Using tools to apply some force and persuasion...
Build 141 sm.jpg
Better result achieved and now will work to finish the fit to the bodywork.

In addition, more work to get the front of the tub to fit properly with the floor, and adjustments to provide a pin for gluing and attachment.
Build 130 sm.jpg
This fit is quite difficult because it has to line up properly with the tub, the floor, and the curves at the bodywork separation line between the upper and lower bodywork. So after much work with plastic shims, sanding, filing, and CA glue, we have the following result which will provide a good base for the epoxy and putty coming up.
Build 131 sm.jpg
Build 135 sm.jpg
Cheers,
AJ

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

More work...

Now that the tub sidewalls have been straightened and smoothed, the interior wall is looking better. However, the side of the tub merge joint with the floor needs a spacer to allow a better fit for the tea tray. This spacer I've added in styrene and then shaped it to be an appropriate fit for the merged joint...
Build 129 sm.jpg
Now the fit is approximately correct both vertically and horizontally so that the join can be worked out with epoxy/CA and putty later on. Without this fit, the floor would not line up and the whole thing becomes much more difficult.
Build 132 sm.jpg
Cheers,
AJ

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

After much time offline busy with work (at a job that ended up not going well), I've been restarting this build and have done more work on the car. I'll be posting some new images and updates soon. I've actually done quite a bit with this build but have not documented it on the forum well enough, so I'll fix that soon. In the meantime, please rewind in the thread a bit if you're interested.

Cheers,
AJ

feelgood
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by feelgood »

Awesome project, great to see you are getting back at it!

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

Great to hear AJ. I’m excited to see your progress.

Paul Erlendson

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

It's time to take that floor that I've been adjusting, filing, straightening, and re-working and get it into the bodywork. Or at least get it ready for later prep stages.

The bottom of the floor/bodywork interfaces has some missing pieces at the lower front edge of the sidepod. These are intended to be filled with PE from the bargeboards' trailing edges. However, it will look wrong that way (the PE is way too thin) so I'm going to fab up some fillers at that point of the front floor edge. This way the car shape will be correct before any bargeboards are fitted, and I can do those individually. You'll see why this is important when you see all the pieces that have to merge together seamlessly underneath the car.

First, bond some styrene into place for further shaping.
Build 149 sm.jpg
Then shape it accordingly with a lot of shaping and sanding.
Build 154 sm.jpg
And start fitting, adjusting, sanding, filing, inserting spacers...
Build 155 sm.jpg
More small edge spacers, more sanding, more adjusting, until...
Build 157 sm.jpg

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Continuing our floor work, I'll need to cast some resin copies of the tea tray and surrounding area, because this will need a lot of rework as you'll see.
Build 181 sm.jpg
Build 183 sm.jpg
Build 185 sm.jpg
Original piece, in position with full tea tray. I have to separate the tea tray because otherwise it will get in the way of airbrush painting and clear coat, blocking access to the bottom of the tub.
Build 186 sm.jpg
Take the resin piece and separate the tea tray on very specific angles to match up later...
Build 188 sm.jpg
Try very hard to repeat the exact same angles on the original metal piece which will bond to the tub bottom itself...
Build 189 sm.jpg

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Great work!
These 1/24 kits were a bit of a miss. Lots of work needed (which you are putting in) but the end result should be wonderful.