daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Re: Mr. Hiro Rolls His Own

Post by daves »

The Honda was a joy to build. Used all of the Tamiya add ons.
Dave
DSCN4515.jpg
DSCN4516.jpg
DSCN4518.jpg

Topic author
Cratecruncher
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Cratecruncher »

Vontripps, that is a neat looking bike. Please share the details!

Daves, your RC 166 build looks excellent. Even the pics are nice and crisp. I like the stand you made for the fairing too. I think I'm going to go stomp on mine now. Seriously, was there anything in your build that you would do different or that you might recommend to someone at my point in the build.

daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by daves »

Only that the Tamiya Detail Up Kits are worth the investment. The wire wheels and the chain are amazing.

Dave

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

vontrips wrote:Have you seen my version of your Indian? Photo looks scarily similar to your model!

:)
OH, now your just bragging!!!

:D :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

smb
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Maserati
Egypt

Post by smb »

[quote="Cratecruncher"]Thanks Smb. I started the Tamiya Honda RC 166 the other day. It's a great kit with lots of parts and wonderful details. I'll likely display it with the fairing off so the details can be seen. Here's what I have so far on the engine:

Cratecruncher, I love the clean and smooth painting on that 166 engine. The real one was amazing and you are doing it justice! I have the same kit with all the Tamiya extra goodies. You are right ,the rims look very nice. I hear the chain is very time consuming to do, but I saw it done at a local model show and it is worth it. Regarding the RC 166, I also have the Protar 1/9 version. It would be fun to do big and little brother.

Btw, this is the kit I just ordered from Raccoon Auto in Japan. A modern bike, but fully exposed engine, etc. Quite a unique topic and kit wouldn't you say?

http://112on2.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/ ... a-tesi-2d/

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

..nice builds !!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 036&type=3

The RC was my furst bike and like Dave I used all the detail sets plus a lot of scratchbuilding. It's by far the best kit I've ever built do far. Amazing quality.

After that I was hooked and build the old Ducati kit, detail is very sparse compared to the Honda and I changed a LOT (!!!) but I'm very happy with the result

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 036&type=3

I guess I will build that KTM crosser next but need to figure out how to do the wheels in alu...

Topic author
Cratecruncher
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Cratecruncher »

Smb, that new Bimota looks like a fun project. I've never seen that kit before. I hope you'll share more about it in the "recent purchase" thread. I've been considering the Kawasaki Mach IV kit from Gum Ka. The weak yen is making it more and more tempting:http://www.hlj.com/product/GMKMC12001/Aut

Daniel, I love your builds man. That NCR Racer is a kit I've had in my stash so long the decals are probably yellow. Though I love the subject I know that kit is going to be a lot of work. The RC 166 looks beautiful (I noticed you ditched those Tamiya screws 8) ).

These are the Ducati bikes I most want to build. Protar did a 1/9th '73 750 Sport but to date no one has ever done the '74 "green frame" in a kit. The closest would be Tamiya's '77 900SS but it's so much work to convert. Tamiya could modify it like they did for the NCR but I imagine they have higher priorities these days.
ImageI'm sure most already know this but the yellowish vertical stripe on both the NCR Racer and the '74 750SS is actually bare fiberglass that the tank is made out of. It's translucent enough to reveal the petrol level negating the need for a fuel gauge!

smb
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Maserati
Egypt

Post by smb »

Daniel, beautiful builds of the Honda and Ducati....

Cratecruncher, yes the Gum Ka was the kit I was trying to remember! Did you notice that HLJ has two different 750 kits from GumKa, but for the life of me I can't tell what the difference is - other than maybe decal colors? You have good taste in Ducatis -the two 750s that you want to build are considered unobtanium in real life these days :-( I am actually restoring a real 1970 Ducati 450 Scrambler, about the only old Ducati I could ever afford! Engine appearence wise, it is like having 1/2 of the 750 since the that mill was basically based on two singles merged together.

Topic author
Cratecruncher
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Cratecruncher »

I'm not sure what the difference is between the two Gum Ka kits but suspect it's just the decal color. I have the Gunze H1 (500cc) kit and it's arguably just as nice if not nicer than the new Gum Ka. It has plastic wheel rims but real wire spokes, not photo etch mesh that is supposed to look like a wire laced wheel if you don't get too close. The H1 is also more of a classic in my view because it's the first in the series that started the 2-stroke drag racer phenomenon.

I remember in high school in the late seventy's, a gas station near my home had an H1 for sale. I had the cash but my mom just looked at me like I was INSANE. I was, obviously. A teenage brain, arteries full of testosterone, and a poorly handling bike with lousy brakes and a 6:1 weight to power ratio. :shock: What could possibly go wrong? :shock:

I just checked the MFH site and discovered Mr. Hiro is starting on a new one-off bike! This time around it's an old Harley Knucklehead. Not much to see yet but it looks like he's really going deep on brass fabrication this time. http://www.modelfactoryhiro.com/new/en/ ... more-15400

Mike

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

You guys have piqued my interest in building some bike models in the future!