Mr. Hiro Rolls His Own

For rumors about F1 scale models...

Topic author
Cratecruncher
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Mr. Hiro Rolls His Own

Post by Cratecruncher »

I was searching the MFH website for news on the '62 gto kit when I stumbled across a model of a Harley Davidson WLA45 that the owner of MFH had completed recently. The WLA model was manufactured in large quantity for the US Army during WWII and there were many left over that were sold as surplus for ridiculous low prices. Some enterprising enthusiasts put them on a diet by bobbing the fenders and removing non-essential accessories in a bid to make the little side-valve twins go fast. This is the modified bike that coined the term "chopper".
According to the description the model is in 1/9th scale and just a one-off but damn! The detail is wonderful. It looks to me like much of the parts are polished white metal castings with some machined aluminum and brass as well.
MFH have produced several MotoGP bikes in 1/12th that looked interesting but despite enjoying motorcycle modeling I never took the challenge of building one. Doing all that work only to cover it with a fairing seemed too painful :lol: . I like the older bikes anyway.

Has anyone else built an MFH bike kit? Do you think MFH should manufacture more bikes? What models of bikes would you like to see produced?

More pics of the WLA are on the website: http://www.modelfactoryhiro.com/new/en/archives/15176

smb
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Maserati
Egypt

Re: Mr. Hiro Rolls His Own

Post by smb »

That is a beautiful build. I have one MFH bike kit (84 Honda GP) but have not started it yet. I collect bike kits and have all the Gunze 1/12 scale motorcycle kits. They have white metal, turned aluminum, photo etch and wire wheels.

There was an English company called RAE that made beautiful 1/9 motorcycle kits similar in appearance to Hiro's Harley. I never had a chance to get one, but I did find a Norton 750 engine kit from them in Japan of all places. Exquisite.

There are so many old bikes worth building....hard to pick :D

F1Xena
Top Designer
Top Designer
Your Name: Tania
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jordan
New Zealand

Post by F1Xena »

Last time I visited MFH, Mr Hiro showed me a beautiful scratch built Norton engine for another bike he is building...as he said "just for me" :lol: I don't know where he finds the time.
The four building blocks of the Universe are fire, water, styrene and white-metal.

Topic author
Cratecruncher
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Cratecruncher »

smb: "I collect bike kits and have all the Gunze 1/12 scale motorcycle kits. They have white metal, turned aluminum, photo etch and wire wheels."

I love Gunze Sangyo motorcycle kits. I think I have about 12 at last count! I also bought some Protar repops of old '50s Moto Guzzi's and MV's done in 1/9th but I've never built one. The Ducati 750 Sport is perhaps the best model Protar ever made. I believe I still have a 1/8th Vincent Black Shadow kit from RAE laying around somewhere. All are great kits of classic subjects. Below is a pic of my Gunze Indian and Honda CR110:

F1Xena: "Mr Hiro showed me a beautiful scratch built Norton engine for another bike he is building.."

I assumed he had a passing interest in the Harley but it sounds like Mr. Hiro has a deeper passion. I've always thought the proportions of the Norton Manx were just beautiful. Some of the old pre-war bikes like the Brough Superior would look amazing in white metal and photo etch. I wonder if they could sell enough to make a kit offering viable. Everybody loves Harleys. A lot of people like HRD Vincents and old Ducati Super Sports. I wonder how many would want to build a model of one?

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Post by vontrips »

Your Indian build is still one of my all time favourites Cratecruncher! After 10 years I've finally found the missing frame parts for my 1/12th Rikuo...guess there's no excuse not to build it now! :)

The MFH Harley build looks great, apart from the lame speedo decal!

DM
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by DM »

I visited his family on last Nov., he showed me two of these bikes and his wife told me that he has spent 2 months for building them.
I asked questions in order to prove that the models are not his work. However, he might really have them done by himself. Of course, he needed some assistant from his office.

I were not very happy with it ! I used to challenge him about building models every year and kept telling him that he does not know how to build model anymore. I enjoy tearing him while having supper all the time. Unfortunately, I cannot do this anymore ~>_<~

Topic author
Cratecruncher
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Cratecruncher »

Thanks for the complement Vontripps. I don't know if you heard the story about that bike. I had it about 90% complete and wrapped it up in "cling wrap" to protect it in a move. When I unwrapped it the plastic wrap had etched the paint so I had to tear the whole thing apart and strip everything down to bare plastic. It was my stupidity not the kits fault! I just took my Rikuo down from the shelf and noticed there are a lot of similarities between the two bikes. Please do a thread when you build it. I'm sure it will turn out beautiful.

DM, you should cut the fellow some slack man. These guys have done what, nearly 500 model releases in 11 years. It makes me tired just thinking about it! Anyway, I think that workmanship on the WLA looks amazing. I do wonder why he chose 1/9th though. (Edit: I now think it was so he could borrow tires and other odds and ends from the Esci kit.)

Here is a shot of a real Vincent Black Shadow. Mr. Vincent wanted to emphasize the top speed of this special bike with black enameled case and heads so he had a 7" automotive speedometer mounted to the headstock. It was so big it probably slowed the bike down at top speed but he made his point and the bike sold well.

An even rarer bike is the HRD Series A Rapide. It's the predecessor of the Black Shadow and nicknamed the "plumbers nightmare" because of all the external oil lines coming and going throughout the engine. It would make an amazing model in white metal with machined aluminum rims and real wire spokes.

Here is what I think is one of the coolest bikes of the pre-war era. It's called the Brough Superior and is somewhat infamous for one which dispatched young Lawrence of Arabia to his maker. Maybe I'm the only one but I think it also would look amazing as a model in white metal and aluminum.
Last edited by Cratecruncher on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smb
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Maserati
Egypt

Post by smb »

Beautiful Gunze builds Cratecruncher! I have built the CB Honda Clubman, but I got it partially built which was a mistake. Too much wheel/fork mis-alignment. Found a virgin one though, so I will redo it. Also, if you go to Hobby link Japan, there is a new vendor that is selling gunze-like kits of the Kawasaki 750 H2. I forgot the name of the manufacturer. Your RAE Vincent is a Holy Grail of sorts. I do hope you post it when you build it. Raccoon Japan also has a cool kit of a Bimoto/Ducati machine.

Topic author
Cratecruncher
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Cratecruncher »

Thanks Smb. I started the Tamiya Honda RC 166 the other day. It's a great kit with lots of parts and wonderful details. I'll likely display it with the fairing off so the details can be seen. Here's what I have so far on the engine:
I bought the fork and clutch detail set for it as well as the chain. I plan to do my own wheels but I was looking at another guys build the other day and those Tamiya machined rims are nice.

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Post by vontrips »

Honda RC 166 looks nice!

Have you seen my version of your Indian? Photo looks scarily similar to your model!

:)