GB Turbo Era - Minardi M185, Motori Moderni

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

GB Turbo Era - Minardi M185, Motori Moderni

Post by Dalin1 »

I was contemplating a lot whether to join the Group Build or not, as in the past 12 months I almost have not touched modelling...
But, without challenges there is no hope :-)
Decided to go ahead with something less common - the first F1 Minardi. Beautiful 1/20 kit by AMC - a manufacturer I can only recommend, for the quality and for the cars the big ones would never cast.
The kit will need some improvements, as any kit does if you want it to look good, these things take a lot of time and scratchbuilding, but I generally try to avoid simple OOB most of the time :-)

1985 was a debut for Giancarlo Minardi in F1, moving up from F2. The first F1 car (not counting the M184 prototype) was designed by Giacomo Caliri, then a designer of its F2 cars, and previously responsible for work in Ferrari, and having experience with F1 by designing Fittipaldi F5A and ATS D2.
The engine used was Motori Moderni (Motori Moderni 615-90 1.5 V6 turbo), a company established by former Alfa Romeo F1 chief engineer, Carlo Chiti. The company has been probably been formed just before Minardi deciding to go into F1, and the engine has not been ready at the start of the season, M185 equipped by DFV power for the first two races.
The best result by Pierluigi Martini, a driver of the only car for the team, was 8th in Australia, the ultimate race of the season.
Historians cite Martini as not being "up to F1 standards in 1985" as one reason, the other probably being the engine - Motori Moderni producing some 720bhp, compared to 1000bhp of Renault, Honda and BMW, and 900bhp of TAG Porsche and Ferrari...

The kit looks reasonably simple, though as I said I will try to work on a few improvements - starting with the opening vents at the rear of the bodywork, now casted as closed from resin, will scratchbuild them as open from a piece of plastic sheet.
IMG_7830-1.jpg
IMG_7831-2.jpg
IMG_7833-3.jpg
I will be slow in updates, also as I have several other cars unfinished, waiting in the closet, but hopefully I can make it until that September.

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Re: GB Turbo Era - Minardi M185, Motori Moderni

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Hello Dalin,
as a supporter of Minardi and Osella, I cannot believe that you are building that 1985 Minardi!!!!
Excellent choice!!!!!
I will be following very very closely this forum, I can say it's a dream car for me.
Do you mind if I ask you where did you buy this kit? I remember I saw this car on a japanese website few months ago but it was already sold out, I wish I could have one too!
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Seiiki
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fangio
Canada

Post by Seiiki »

I would love to see the engine. But the Motori Moderni V-6 do not have a lot of pictures and Minardi was not a popular team even though I had to give them an A+++ for trying under such a low budget. I don't know if this kit is available in a full detailed 1:43 scale. To me Giancarlo Minardi is such a great character in F1 along with Paul Stoddart to keep the team flowing for so long before RBR bought them as a second development team for their young drivers.

Also many of the former and current F1 drivers got their start with this team. Notably GP winners such as Alessandro Nannini, Giancarlo Fisichella, Jarno Trulli, Mark Webber, and of course who can forget the impressive Fernando Alonso. Without his team, Jordan and Tyrrell, none of the young drivers would get a decent start in F1 without a boat load of money.
Canice

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

Corpsegrinder wrote:Hello Dalin,
as a supporter of Minardi and Osella, I cannot believe that you are building that 1985 Minardi!!!!
Excellent choice!!!!!
I will be following very very closely this forum, I can say it's a dream car for me.
Do you mind if I ask you where did you buy this kit? I remember I saw this car on a japanese website few months ago but it was already sold out, I wish I could have one too!
Hi Corpse, I bought the kit from Raccoon Auto Japan, not sure if they stock it. I think you could contact AMC directly as they list it as available on their webpage, not sure how much it's updated.
It's a very nice car, not only the livery but the shape as well, that was the reason for my choice :-)

Seiiki, as for the engine, I found a few pics on the net, also in 1986 Hiro GP Joe Honda book two pics are printed, the engine type is the same in 1986. But anyway, the kit is curbside, so I won't need that much of the engine photos...

Dalin

benjabulle
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by benjabulle »

Nice period and teams, even if Minardi had a small budget in 86 they had special qualify engines (with different internals), something that even McLaren didn't use. The Cosworth interim car was racing in Historic F1 some years ago and as it's about the same except the engine it may help :
http://www.gurneyflap.com/formule180's2.html

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Post by RE60B »

Good evening excellent! lov it My years for ever THE formula one years.
Benjamin website is a great help for detailling. I know a wonderfull modeler who have done it to full detail 1/12 scale i have done it full 1/43 Alfa test.
Please take your time and give us pleasure you have a treasure!

i take a seat!

Cédric

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Great subject Dalin,

I will be watching your w.i.p. ;-)

Good to see more people joining this GB!

Regards,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Great subject Dalin,

I will be watching your w.i.p. ;-)

Good to see more people joining this GB!

Regards,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Excellent choice for your build, will be looking forward to this one.

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

benjabulle wrote:Nice period and teams, even if Minardi had a small budget in 86 they had special qualify engines (with different internals), something that even McLaren didn't use. The Cosworth interim car was racing in Historic F1 some years ago and as it's about the same except the engine it may help :
http://www.gurneyflap.com/formule180's2.html
Hi Benjabulle, your site is always the first place to go for me as for the references! Got the Minardi already, thanks for great job you are doing!