Ferrari 1512 1/12 Giorgino Model

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Ferrari 1512 1/12 Giorgino Model

Post by Chinamalc »

Afternoon fellow F1m’ers,

My latest acquisition has arrived and I can’t resist starting it, - although I already have plenty others on the go – I feel I’m not alone in this!

I have always wanted the 1/12 Bandai 1512, but its pretty basic and has very oversize tyres, so when this model came along I grabbed it.

Ferrari made three 1512’s (also called 152) with the ‘180 degree V12’ engine for the 1964/65 seasons. The 1512 chassis was common with the 158 of which two were made and run in parallel, Surtees usually preferring the V8 and Bandini the V12.

Unusually for Ferrari F1 cars of this period all 3 still exist. Their lack of success meant there was no danger of competitors learning their secrets by acquiring them so they were sold off.

These cars were made at the point where F1 technology was moving from space frame to monocoque construction, however Enzo Ferrari thought that due to the difficulty of repairing crash damaged monocoques and the fact the rivets worked loose during the season, he would stay with a lightweight space frame covered in stressed skin panels.

There are some great photos on Ultimate Car Page of a restored 1512 that runs in historic events, also on Gurneyflap of a 158.

I would really like to know when the restored car will be running at a UK event, so if you know or can find out please tell me!

Obligatory look at what you get:-
IMG_3143.JPG
IMG_3142.JPG
The kit arrives in two boxes, inside the parts are carefully packed with bubble wrap under a couple of layers of polystyrene
The ‘body set metal parts’ box includes a 3 view, photo instruction book, decals - both vinyl stick on and water slide and a memory stick that has over 400 images of the model during various stages of assembly.
IMG_3144.JPG
IMG_3145.JPG
IMG_3146.JPG
IMG_3147.JPG
Last edited by Chinamalc on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Ferrari 1512 1/12 Giorgino Model

Post by Chinamalc »

Continued:-
IMG_3157.JPG
Spot what all the bits are for! Some are obvious, but with no written instructions it’s a case of seeing whats left over after identifying the known parts.
From top to bottom and left to right:-
1st column, oil tank, rear trailing arms, drive shafts and joints, fuel lines/header tank
2nd column, distributor, fuel pump, roll bar, misc nuts and washers, wheel centres and stub axles
3rd column, front disks and hub carriers, brake callipers, steering rack, radiator/water hoses
4th column, exhaust, instruments/wiring, steering wheel/gear change, dampers, more dampers!
5th column, aluminium interior body panels, rear top suspension links, mirrors, intake stacks
6th column, spare aluminium/carbon fibre for joining the top/bottom nose cone, battery, misc screws and bolts
IMG_3160.JPG
Close up resin injector housings and very nice turned intake trumpets
IMG_3156.JPG
Taped to the bottom of the box photo etch parts including rear disks
Body set resin parts contents
IMG_3148.JPG
IMG_3149.JPG
IMG_3150.JPG
IMG_3151.JPG
Its a great game to spot the Tamiya parts – Matra MS11 tyres and rims cut down in width and new spokes nicely moulded, I have placed the rims in two tyres to show how well they fit.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Continued:-
IMG_3152.JPG
The centre of the crank case is copied from the Tamiya Ferrari 312B.
IMG_3153.JPG
Hand soldered wishbones!
IMG_3154.JPG
IMG_3155.JPG
Two vac formed windscreens which is a nice touch, and carbon fibre body mouldings!

Malc.
Last edited by Chinamalc on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

So on with the model, I started with the front bulkhead.
I knew I wanted to modify the parts, which would be much easier in plastic, so copied the etch parts in 30thou card. Also made master cylinders and pedal assembly (neither are supplied in the kit)
IMG_3190.JPG
The top curved panel was cut, holes pierced, then put in to a mug of the right ID, held in place with a spoon and boiling water poured on. Worked first time! 12 sided lids for the master cylinders are in progress, I’m not convinced the fluid reservoirs are large enough in diameter. Your opinion is welcome – the real parts look about 90mm diameter(?) = so 7mm in 1/12 scale, mine are 5mm dia.
Ferrari-1512-F1_12.jpg
Another reason to make replacements – the upper LH suspension point has been eaten by the etch acid.
IMG_3258.JPG
IMG_3163.JPG
IMG_3164.JPG
No glue, just held together with blue tack, as I’m sure it will need to be tweaked.

Malc.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Steering rack next, the real car.
1512F1_8.jpg
kit parts
IMG_3197.JPG
Replacement in progress.
IMG_3140.JPG
The D shape brackets start life as two layers of 30thou, 4 holes made to be a good push fit on the plastic rod, then cut apart in to 4 pieces, pushed on to a piece of rod in a stack and cut/sanded to shape. Only used two in the end. I have discovered that sprue cutters are a great method of quickly removing the bulk of material and only a small amount of sanding is required to finish.
IMG_3192.JPG
IMG_3193.JPG
Needs a bit more detail adding.
IMG_3194.JPG
The spare hole in the bulkhead was a mistake – Need another bulkhead anyway to alter the top wishbone pivot point.

Extra detail added to the steering rack.
IMG_3223.JPG
Malc

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Wow, what a kit!!! It looks like you're off to a great start, Malc :D
I will be following your progress like an eager child!! I can't wait to see more :wink:

Cheers, H

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Cheers H, I'm still getting you all up to date, so a few more pics to come!

Attention was then turned to the tub as I need to check the bulkhead for fit. The tub is nicely cast and appears to have been based on the 1/12 Bandai Ferrari parts (as does the cockpit surround).
IMG_3158.JPG
IMG_3159.JPG
as it comes.
IMG_3169.JPG
cleaned underside. Evidence of its Banadi origins in the remains of the lower rear wishbone attachment points, the real car just had holes in the tub, so a bit of marking out, sand off the unwanted lumps and drill the holes.
IMG_3177.JPG
Fuel tanks, the resin kit parts don’t really match the reference photos
IMG_3199.JPG
completed prototype kit, note steering rack behind forward bulkhead.
Attachments
060.jpg

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Reference photo:-
016.jpg
IMG_3165.JPG
IMG_3166.JPG
First try out in card including instrument panel

Looks like we’re going in the right direction, so try in balsa with (light weight!) dash panel.
IMG_3183.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG
Malc.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

The inside panels of the tub also need some reworking to more closely represent the real car, on the right side there should be relief for the gear change mechanism, the left side is angled outwards (presumably for more elbow room).
Note the dimple on the right for the drivers hip.
158.jpg
Original kit part
IMG_3154 (2).JPG
IMG_3159.JPG
A bit of Dremel action and presto. The two flanges on the top edge were full of air bubbles and very thin, so were removed. Some strips of card added to the top edges to restore the tub to its original height – more on this later.
IMG_3182.JPG
Front also modified to make room for the dampers
IMG_3170.JPG
front
IMG_3171.JPG
rear
IMG_3172.JPG
Cheers,

Malc.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

At this point it occurred to me the interior of the resin tub appeared to be somewhat ‘spacious’ compared to the real car, so Jackie Stewart was called on for some seat fitting help.
IMG_3179.JPG
Yes, definitely a bit wide. Fuel tank capacity is a bit small? Yes, Mauro Forghieri concurs, a quick fag packet calculation and indeed the tank capacity does appear too small…
So a bit of interior panelling with 40thou plastic card. Lines show where I want the skins to be.
IMG_3180.JPG
IMG_3181.JPG
Part way through.
IMG_3186.JPG
JYS now looks a lot more ‘snug’, he won’t quite fit as I still have to make the hip dimple, either that or he’s a bit fatter than Surtees and Bandini!
IMG_3185.JPG
Now the fuel capacity has increased by at least 50%, and Bandini can get full race distance without danger of running out on the last lap.
The space for the front dampers also looks more in proportion.
front view
IMG_3200.JPG
rear view
IMG_3202.JPG