New Honda engine

Got a rumor???

Topic author
hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

New Honda engine

Post by hquednau »

Honda is showing a picture of it's new engine for Mclaren. While an amazing piece of engineering, as a modeling subject it looks rather small and dull- could be modeled in one piece from a 3-D printer with almost nothing missing. And that wouldn't be much fun at all.
Attachments
1412151614.jpg

fangio
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
New Zealand

Re: New Honda engine

Post by fangio »

Is it just me or does that appear to show the turbine and compressor housing together - I thought that the big 'gain' with the Mercedes engine was that these two components were separated via a long shaft, dramatically reducing the heat transfer between the two.... and thus resulting in cooler / denser air allowing smaller intercoolers (or more effecient intercooling)...

Surely Honda wouldn't have missed this trick.... So is this just a pretty picture rather than an actual mock-up.... ?

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Well, it's a 3D rendering rather than an actual, physical engine if that's what you mean.

Otherwise, who knows - it's F1, I wouldn't put it past Honda to put out a press release showing an entirely fictitious engine, just to play the secrecy game.
Je ne regrette rien.

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Very compact power plant. Would love to see some of this tech make it to road cars.

No header pipes to detail though. :-(