1976 WC - 1/20 Tamiya McLaren M23 - FINISHED

Any scale...

Topic author
alfye
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: 1976 WC - 1/20 Tamiya McLaren M23

Post by alfye »

harveyb258 wrote:Great work Alfye! I think the part in question (C45) is a compressed air bottle for the starter, which should be attached to the lower left side of the gearbox spacer. I think it plumbs into the spacer but not sure where :D
Cheers, H
OK thanks! If it pumps and is attached to the same part, i assume that it will pumps through attaching point :roll: :lol: Not too much detail then, and if so it wont be visible anyways...
Last edited by alfye on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Nice :D ! Keep 'Em comin'.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Looking nice, Alfye. And lots of nice tips! That silvered rubber band "braided hose" can work well, can't it! (Can be found, by the way, in larger sewing supply stores. In Japan anyway.)

Still thinking of using silver foil for the tub? I've never used it for that purpose, but I've seen it done convincingly in modelling magazines.

Keep up the good work!
Chris

Topic author
alfye
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by alfye »

Thanks!
Eagle50 wrote:Looking nice, Alfye. And lots of nice tips! That silvered rubber band "braided hose" can work well, can't it! (Can be found, by the way, in larger sewing supply stores. In Japan anyway.)
Yeah, my only problem with them was that I have the limitation of the diameter but now, thanks to your help I know where to find more and more types!
Eagle50 wrote:Still thinking of using silver foil for the tub? I've never used it for that purpose, but I've seen it done convincingly in modelling magazines.
Naah, finaly not because certain events have forced me to change my mind. Events like your comment, it has made me re-look at my Ebbro 72C in wich I tried this technique and a single "touch" can leave an ugly scratch.
At the end I will paint all the body parts in silver (TS17 airbrushed), mask cockpit and then apply colours. The reasson: Other event like not have primer nor money to buy it, but 2 decanted TS17 sprays in a jar.

Topic author
alfye
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by alfye »

Hi all,

Like posted before, "primed" all parts with TS17 airbrushed (West Mclaren Ford M23... good fantasy car :roll: )

Later, all flaws & scratches are obvious

Then the bodyparts are ready for paint, but first i need to mask the cockpit

Sorry, but no images for masking and painting the white-fluo red colors :oops: I had problems painting the white, my airbrush was shooting very vissible dust (cheap cotton swabs...) and was very frustrating. The fluo red was shoot directly from the can with a good finish being my first attempt. Good training for the MP4/4, but this whould be decanted and airbrushed.

Finally, a Malporro McLaren Ford M23 (nearly)

With a not-so-sharp line on the chevron :x , "not flaws? not my work"

Cockpit, not too bad after all

Nextstep will be decals, windscreen & wheels.
Bye!

ewestra
Midfield
Midfield

Post by ewestra »

Nice paintjob and spraying the car silvergrey before the actual color is a good idea. Remember that only in a few Grand Prix's the cowl was exeeding the top of the chevron. I know Tamiya put lines to mask out the chevron, but it is a litle bit to high.

Eric

adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

excellent work making me very nervous about starting mine :p

Keep it up!

Topic author
alfye
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by alfye »

Hi all!

With imageshack being a paysite, im fighting with the forum upload options and the attachment limit :evil:
Lets go!
Tire valve - No more macro... 0.5mm brass tube cut in 2 pieces with a wire being the core, hex PE piece from TopStudio
Tire valve - No more macro... 0.5mm brass tube cut in 2 pieces with a wire being the core, hex PE piece from TopStudio
Wheels are finished - simple work with X18 & some brown women make-up finished with flat clear. Tyre markings are DecalPool decals -no transfer decals. I have a Fujimi PE stencil for BT46B but is way too big for Tamiya tyres, so... Fingers crossed not see them pulling away in a few years
Wheels are finished - simple work with X18 & some brown women make-up finished with flat clear. Tyre markings are DecalPool decals -no transfer decals. I have a Fujimi PE stencil for BT46B but is way too big for Tamiya tyres, so... Fingers crossed not see them pulling away in a few years
Tinting the windshield - X22 X24 Thinner & Klear
Tinting the windshield - X22 X24 Thinner & Klear
Mmmm... im testing with original Tamiya part while M&H vac windshield arrives
Mmmm... im testing with original Tamiya part while M&H vac windshield arrives
quick drying!!! More thinner next time
quick drying!!! More thinner next time
Decalwork is finished, love this part of modelling! Decals used: TBDecals for Malporro & Bad Week markings (they are very thin) and DecalPool for dayglo decals and all others.
Decalwork is finished, love this part of modelling! Decals used: TBDecals for Malporro & Bad Week markings (they are very thin) and DecalPool for dayglo decals and all others.
Windshield-cowl-airbox-chassis fit
Windshield-cowl-airbox-chassis fit

Topic author
alfye
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by alfye »

I was not happy with the chevron so i put a white decal strip to "solve" the problem. Now is straight! Decal made a step but is almost invisible
I was not happy with the chevron so i put a white decal strip to "solve" the problem. Now is straight! Decal made a step but is almost invisible
Bye!

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Nice work Alfye :D Looks like you got the tinting spot on!! Great tyre valves too!!
Cheers, H