Any scale...

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Re: GB WIP : Lotus 72E - Ebbro 1/20

Post by Terry »

CBartholomew4677 wrote: So, now that the chassis and engine can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I gave them a chance to meet in the hope of fostering a long-term relationship. Seems they fit together reasonably well. A little tweaking and adjustment will be needed, but no show-stoppers :D .

Chris
So is this what they call speed dating? :mrgreen:

Good work Chris.
T

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Terry wrote:
CBartholomew4677 wrote: So, now that the chassis and engine can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I gave them a chance to meet in the hope of fostering a long-term relationship. Seems they fit together reasonably well. A little tweaking and adjustment will be needed, but no show-stoppers :D .

Chris
So is this what they call speed dating? :mrgreen:

Good work Chris.
T
Just as long as that DFV doesn't go hook up with a flashy Mclaren, or smooth-talking Ligier in the meantime :wink: .

Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Thanks for all the continued comments, any feedback is always welcome.

Things are actually moving along on the 72E with some noticeable progress. First some specific detail improvements.

Up front, I decided to remake the brake fluid reservoirs, rather than use the kit-supplied grey plastic parts. The real car uses semi-clear plastic bottles, so I decided to use some clear sprue for the bottles. I was going to drill them out, and tint them from the inside, then I noticed the clear-yellow sprue from the windshield, and TA-DA!! Time saved. The caps were made from slices of polystyrene rod. After giving them a wash, they look a little thick, so may need to be thinned a little bit.
Front End.JPG
The roll bar needed some attention as well. The actual car parts are welded tube, hollow on the inside. However, the kit parts are solid blobs of plastic, quite unrepresentative, and need some work. The roll bars were drilled, where appropriate, to represent the tubing, then machined aluminum fasteners (RB Motion again :wink: ) were installed.
Roll Bar.jpg
The emergency pull switch also received some attention. The kit part has the loop molded in, so I removed it with a rotary tool, and a p.e. part installed. On the back-side the emergency switch connects to a tube/bracket structure , to connect it to the disconnect wire (pretty poor description, I know, sorry). This is missing from the kit parts, so I made it from scrap plastic.
Roll Bar 3.JPG
Roll Bar 4.JPG
The cockpit has been worked on as well. The seat and seat-belts were installed. Belt material is from Hobby Design, and hardware is from S27. The wires running through the cockpit had protective covers applied, one of them needs a little paint work. The shift lever is a machined metal part from Acu-Stion, a nice improvement I think. So, with all of these updates, here’s where it all stands.
Chassis Status 1.JPG
Chassis Status 6.JPG
Chassis Status 8.JPG
Next up to finish the chassis, then install the powertrain, and then some more decal work. Onward and upward as always.

Cheers,
Chris

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

There is some stellar work on this, Chris :wink: Keep it up, mate!!!
I love what you have done with the roll-hoop btw :D

Cheers, H

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Nice update, as always.
Good luck until the end...

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Thanks for the nice comments. Time for a report on the 72E, as there has been some progress.

The chassis and engine have now been officially mated :wink: . 2-part epoxy was used to achieve a firm, strong bond. Unfortunately, after everything was dry, I found that the rear suspension was tweaked/warped, so when resting with the tub flat on the groun, and the front suspension aligned to itself, the rear suspension is off. Actually, the oil tank seems to be off a little also, but the intake trumpets and engine head covers line up, so my conclusion is that the transmission is not mounted exactly straight, causing everything to be off behind it. I’m not going to be able to ds mount the transmission, so there’s going to be some serious flexing and adjusting of the rear suspension. Looks like all my planning went to heck, eh :roll: ?!?
After the chassis and engine were mated, the fuel system was completed also. RB Motion banjo fittings were used on the first-stage fuel pump on top of the chassis, then Detail Master coated wire for the fuel lines. Just a few things left in this area.
Chassis Engine Mated 1.JPG
Chassis Engine Mated 2.JPG
Chassis Engine Mated 3.JPG
Chassis Engine Mated 6.JPG
The wheels and mirrors were also painted gold. Paint is Alclad Pale Gold, and we all know how nice Alclad paint is. I am planning to build the car from Monaco ’73, which had “solid” gold wheels, from what I can see in my reference pics. So, I am not planning to paint the wheel centers black, like some other versions. Tires are being dirtied-up now and will soon be mounted.
Front Wheels Painted 2.JPG
Rear Wheels Painted 1.JPG
Mirrors Painted.JPG
Mirrors Painted.JPG (42.47 KiB) Viewed 568 times
So, that all being said, here’s how it stands at the moment.

Next key tasks are to complete the chassis/engine, including the remaining plumbing and wiring, and actually make some progress on the body decals. The end seems almost attainable now!!!
Cheers,
Chris

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

As always, great work Chris :D A bit of a shame that the trans has gone a bit awry, although it's not noticeable in the pics! I'm sure you'll manage to tweak it :wink:

Awesome looking wheels btw :D

Cheers, H

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi Chris,
Some fine progress on the "72". My kit and most of those built by friends also had the rear alignment issue, it looks square to the eye but does not align when glued :roll: I'll know on the next one I do.
Atb,AlexP.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Well, a significant milestone has been achieved with the Lotus 72E ; the Chassis is officially completed!!! WooHoo 8) :D !!!! OK, the steering wheel is not actually attached yet, just temporary, but that is intentional to prevent damage by handling while getting the bodywork aligned and sorted.

So, the issue with the rear suspension being out of alignment was solved; a bit of heat and quite a bit of twisting. They say when you apply heat and pressure, rock becomes a diamond, but in this case it just gets all four wheels flat to the ground. The 72E no longer thinks it’s a VW GTI going through a corner!!! (you know what I mean :wink: )
Wheels on the Ground 2.JPG
The remaining cooling plumbing was also completed and attached. I used the kits parts, but added a bit of detail with shrink tube and hose clamps at the connections. Not perfect alignment, but good enough I think. A few fasteners to finish it off, and here is how it all ended up.
Chassis Complete 1.JPG
Chassis Complete 2.JPG
Chassis Complete 3.JPG
The wheels and tires were also completed. Wheels were painted Alclad Pale Gold, as explained, and given a subtle wash for depth and highlight and the centers hand-painted. The tire valves are from Sakatsu; nice little pieces, I wish they were still around. The tires received a little attention as well. Ebbro’s tires, and printed lettering are very nice, but a little too clean and perfect. So, I added a little use to them. Contact surfaces were scrubbed by spinning the tire on a rotary tool against a sanding stick. I dirtied up the sidewalls and lettering with a Tamiya Weathering Kit, then gave them a sealer coat:
- MM Metallizer Sealer-1 Mist Coat (my favorite starting point as it is satiny, and tends not to attack things too harshly)
- Tamiya Flat Clear-1 Light Coat (to tone down the shine)
Tires were mounted, and Ta-Da!!! all finished and ready to be installed. Generally, pretty happy with the outcome.
Wheels & Tires 1.JPG
Now on to the body work. I gave the body work a first trial fit, and the side pods fit nearly perfectly. I have to commend Ebbro for the fit of the bodywork. It is such a tight fit, but goes together without any serious pushing or swearing ……….so far. I installed some magnets inside the tub to hold the bodywork, but I’m not sure there’s enough room to install the mating magnet in the bodywork. Fortunately, once the side pods are on, the cockpit surround locks in and holds it all in place. Maybe enough. The nose was trialled as well, and a little less than perfect straight off. It is a little too angled and there is a bit of a gap when installed, so I need to do some work to find what’s restricting it from fitting perfectly. Not so big concern I think.
Bodywork Trial Fit 2.JPG
Bodywork Trial Fit 5.JPG
So, that’s where things stand at the moment. With the chassis complete, I can turn my attention to the bodywork and decals in earnest. I was hoping to have it all wrapped up before heading out to the British GP, but doesn’t look good for that………Oh well, just keep plodding away. Onward and Upward!!
Cheers,
Chris

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi Chris,
Well you got there! amazing what a touch of "the force" can do. I'm sure you have done the right thing with the body last on the list, it's the way I'll go on my Rob Walker car. Wheels and tyres look fab by the way.
Atb,Alex