GB WIP : Lotus 72E - Ebbro 1/20

Any scale...

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Re: GB WIP : Lotus 72E - Ebbro 1/20

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Hello All,
Thanks for all the nice comments.

I have a question I hope some of the experts can help me with. Specifically, what is the seat belt color material for Ronnie Peterson's car?
I am terribly color-blind, and can't tell if it's green or grey. :oops:

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Chris

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

Hi Chris,
Ronnie's belts are a blue grey colour. I suppose you're having difficulty eye matching this so to make it easy I would say the nearest thing straight out of jar might be Tamiya XF17 Sea Blue.

Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Mexico

Post by Husker »

Really nice! I'm not familiar with Ebbro kits but this one looks like it is top quality thanks to your great build.
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Thanks again for all the nice comments, always good to hear.

Thanks for the feedback on the seatbelts, Terry. Much appreciated.

So, a little more progress on the 72E.
The powertrain has received a little more attention, specifically to install and plumb the lubrication system. The oil tank was attached to the back of the transmission, and the necessary plumbing then installed according to references. The braided steel tubing is from T2M, pretty nice stuff.
Engine Status 2.JPG
Engine Status 3.JPG
Engine Status 5.JPG
Engine Status 6.JPG
The battery was also given a little treatment. The kit provides just the battery itself, to be glued to the frame,very unrepresentative. So, to start I made a small mounting box from sheet styrene, painted HPA. After gluing the battery in place, a securing strap was installed, using a p.e. tie strap from Auc-Stion. Finally, the battery terminals were drilled and the leads installed using Sakatsu wire and RBMotion attachment bolts.
Battery 3.JPG
Battery 4.JPG
And finally, for today, the dash was wired. A lot busier than I anticipated :? .
Dash Wiring 1.JPG
So, that's where things stand at the moment. A few small things left on the powertrain, and the chassis and cockpit need some work. Onward and upward as always!!
Cheers,
Chris

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Yet again, more superb work Chris :D :D

The engine/trans is looking suitably "busy"....just what I like to see, and so is the dash wiring, well done mate!!
I also love your modifications to the battery, you have turned a block of plastic into a realistic looking battery with added tie strap and terminal connections:D

I can't wait to see the next update!

Cheers, H

mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Lee Hoe Yen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

A great WIP. I'll certainly used this as reference when I recommence my 1:12 Tamiya Kit which I've paused after painting all the body parts as I'm in armour kits mode at the moment.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Not to beat a point to death, but a little more on the powertrain that I forgot to mention.
When adding the plumbing and wiring, everything should have a beginning and an end. That being said, all the plumbing for the lubrication system actually connects to the engine, to my knowledge where it's supposed to (Speed Details to the rescue!!). Some pics as visual proof. The small metal line running from the pump to the block was made from solder, and the attachment flange at the block was cut from sheet styrene with RBMotion bolts.
Engine Status 7.JPG
Engine Status 8.JPG
Engine Status 9.JPG
So, that's it for the moment.
Cheers,
Chris

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Looks great.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
As always, thanks for the nice comments, and for your patience as my Lotus 72E project continues to drag on :oops: ......Does it still count as a GB project??

Anyhow, a little more progress on the 72E.
The chassis and tub have been receiving the bulk of the attention recently. Having wired the dash, it was installed to the chassis, and the wires routed into the tub. Honestly, the wires should run through the cockpit, but I was having trouble getting them all routed correctly, so I just ran them inside the tub. The throttle and tachometer cables are running through the cockpit, and will have the appropriate covers applied finally.
One thing I never considered : I used MFH micro-spring for the pressure gauges. Apparently they are made of plain carbon steel, as the magnets I mounted inside the tub (for body panel attachment) caused the micro-springs to move all over the place uncontrollably :? .
Rivets/fasteners have also been applied to the tub. Those for the side panels are 0.5mm rivets from Scale Hardware, and those around the fuel filler on top of the chassis are 0.5mm Flat Rivets from Hobby Design. The body panels fit quite tightly, but I think the rivet profile is low enough that it should be OK, otherwise a little work with a rotary tool may be in order. No worries, though.
Chassis Status 1.JPG
Chassis Status 4.JPG
On the engine side, the modified battery was installed to its mount. I re-learned an age-old lesson of modified parts not quite fitting, but managed to get it all together in the end.
Engine Status 1.JPG
So, now that the chassis and engine can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I gave them a chance to meet in the hope of fostering a long-term relationship. Seems they fit together reasonably well. A little tweaking and adjustment will be needed, but no show-stoppers :D .
Chassis-Engine Trial 6.JPG
Chassis-Engine Trial 5.JPG
So, that's where things stand for now. Key now is to fully complete the chassis, and get it mated to the engine completely. Onward and upward!!!
Cheers,
Chris

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Hi Chris!

Superb, as always :D Looking forward to the next update!!

Cheers, H