GB WIP : Lotus 72E - Ebbro 1/20

Any scale...

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

GB WIP : Lotus 72E - Ebbro 1/20

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Hello All,
Now that the New Year is upon us, it is time for the Group Build to begin :D !!!

As previously indicated, my project is the Lotus 72E, in 1/20 scale from Ebbro.
Box Art.JPG
I am very pleased for Ebbro to have come to the 1/20 scale F1 party, and with some very cool subjects. This is my first build of an Ebbro kit, and I am pleased with what I’ve seen so far. That being said, let’s take a look at what we have to work with:

Plastic Parts:
Suitably molded in black and metallic grey, there is a decent amount of detail, somewhat similar to what I would expect in a kit from the big-T. I like that Ebbro included both a clear and yellow-tint windscreen. I’ll likely use the yellow-tint one.

Additional detail will be added based on reference pics, and what I think is necessary and appropriate without getting in way over my head (noooo, that never happens @ ……..Check my previous GB of the Brabham BT46 if you want to see such a thing unfold before your eyes .). First thing to be fixed is to remove the chrome plating, as it looks a bit too heavy.
Molding quality looks good on initial inspection.
Plastic Parts 1.JPG
Plastic Parts 2.JPG
Tires:
Ebbro’s tires are beautifully pre-printed with the G-Year logos. Although I typically like to scrub them in a bit, I may be tempted to leave them as is. We’ll see.
Tires.JPG
Decals:
I don’t particularly like the wide expanses of black in the kit decals, as I have concern for clear-coating them, and causing some finish issues. So, I have a set of after-market decals for Tabu, including the JPS logos. I would prefer they have a black border, as some of the kit decals do, but “we takes what we gets” sometimes. I’ll work it out.
Decals.JPG
Detail Parts:
I have been gathering aftermarket detail parts, which I plan to use for this build as well, including p.e. and machined metal for parts I think are particularly prominent on this car.
Detail Parts.JPG
Paint:
I plan to use Tamiya TS-14 Black for the body panels and wings. TS-13 Clear or Gunze Mr. Super Gloss Clear for clear-coat (obviously….) Alclad metallics to be used wherever possible. I really like using them as they give such a nice finish and look.

One of the great things about cars from this era is that all the mechanicals are out there on display, so there is a lot of opportunity for adding detail and realism in those areas. So, with that all being somewhat laboriously said, let’s get moving.

Onward and upward!!

Cheers,
Chris

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: GB WIP : Lotus 72E - Ebbro 1/20

Post by daveyman »

It really is a lovely kit. I'm stalled right near the finish line with just the bodywork to paint. I replaced the kit decals for exactly the same reason. Do you intend clear coating with TS13 over the top of the decals? Will watch your build with interest.

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi Chris,
Will be watching this one with interest. If the 72E engine/gearbox is the same as the "C" be careful with alignment, on my kit it looked straight and level until the wheels were attached!!, Do a dry run for sure.
Atb,AlexP.

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

Watching with interest Chris, I Have one of these with all the same trimmings, and this will probably jump start my own build on this kit !

Best,

Steve
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

rtedore
World Champion
World Champion

Post by rtedore »

Looking good so far, keep up the good work!!
BEST REGARDS
ROY TEDORE

"I BUILD FOR REFLECTION, NOT FOR PERFECTION"

ROY TEDORE 1993

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Looking forward to seeing this one Chris! This is going to be a good GB :D
Cheers, H

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

This is a lovely kit from Ebbro. I have it myself to build in the future, so I will follow your WIP closely to glean some tips. I wanted to build the Monaco version, but I believe that has a different rear wing than is supplied in the kit. I was hoping that one of the aftermarket companies would offer a replacement 'Monaco style' rear wing, but to my knowledge, nothing as yet. Good luck with the build.!!
Steve Noble

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

I am in to watch your w.i.p.

Cheers,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

This will be a great WIP to watch.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Hello All,
Thanks for the nice comments.

Work has begun on the 72E. I am in the "Planning and Prepping" stage, where there is a little assembling (major structures) and a lot of cutting, cleaning, puttying, sanding, drilling, etc.
Body Parts in Process.JPG
I have decided to replace all the body and tub rivets with metal parts, as they are a prominent feature on cars of this era, and deserve more attention than a molded-in bump, which will likely be sanded down in the clean-up process. So, the necessary holes have begun to be drilled in the tub, next up is to remove and drill the hole in the rear wing and any other parts.
Tub in Process.JPG
So, we're off and moving now. Let the Planning and Prepping proceed :D !!
Onward and upward!!
Cheers,
Chris