The grail has landed

A special Forum for the McLaren M23 series of F1 race cars.

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: The grail has landed

Post by plastiksurgeon »

Watching with interest, ...I have one of these on the shelf, has always been the flagship of my stash ! I bought mine for Twenty five dollars in 1978 in the shrinkwrap ! It came from a stack of them taller than me, all on sale for $25, (JUST IMAGINE THAT FOR A MOMENT !!) ....I know, ....I should have carted 'em all home ! It was the first F1 model I bought, ...and it made me a Formula One modeler for life..... I promised myself that I would be damn well worthy before I built that model, .....and it is still on the shelf. I had always built street rods and drag racing models before that day. From the day that M23 came home with me, I was forever converted to F1, and then shot it as a job for sixteen years (photography, not guns...), ...so hook, line and sinker !! No regrets, ...not one !!!!! Even though I have modeled continuously since age five (55 years now...) I wouldn't think of building anything but F1 !

The 1/8 M23 is indeed the holy grail of Formula One modeling, ...and there is no car I would rather model in 1/8 scale !!!

Oh yea, I'm watchin' !!!

Best,

Steve
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

Topic author
Zuff
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nigel Mansell
Wales

Post by Zuff »

No pressure then Steve!! :lol:

Well, look, lets make this a joint venture. I'll take any and all tips. I'm no expert builder just a busy self employed doctor with limited spare time. Modelled (badly) as a kid but stopped when I went to college. Got snared back in to the world of models by that wretched 1/8 scale Aston Martin DB5 partwork. Allied that to a life long passion for F1 by collecting all 10 British F1 champs in 1/18 scale....except no one made the Hawthorn 246 or the Surtees 158 so I had to make them myself from the 1/20 revival kits. That got me going properly and when I bought the beautifully built 1/8 Lotus 72 from Capri Scorsch I knew I wanted to collect at 1/8 scale.
The McLaren MP/23 and MP4/4 partworks were straightforward to find. The Rush film flushed out a few M23's from peoples attics and I have also tracked down the Rosso Ferrari 643.
So, after some practise with the 1/20 Ferrari's, the M23 is my first major build and paint project. I am finding it a REAL challenge but this forum is a great place because it keeps your nose to the wheel and is also an important resource.

So, yes, I am a novice, making rookie errors but will take advice and help from anyone.
Heres an example. The top edge of the clear plastic cockpit windshield is marred by highly visible defects left by the sprue attachment points. How do you make them less visible??

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Hi,nice progress with the real Big Mac.
The sratches can be remove with sanding paper just like you do on the body color.Use some 400 paper up to 5000 and than the tamiya polish for a shiny look.
That should work fine.Its a lot of work,but it works.

regards Christian
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

No pressure at all Zuff, ...just enjoy every minute of that great build !!

Best,

Steve
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

Topic author
Zuff
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Wales

Post by Zuff »

Meanwhile back in in the MP4/23 corner....more progress. She will win the race for sure!

Topic author
Zuff
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Wales

Post by Zuff »

More progress on MP4/23. M23 waits for more paint supplies!

Topic author
Zuff
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Wales

Post by Zuff »

The 1/8th collection grows! Now have a custom 5 bay clear display cabinet. Mp4/23 and Mp4/4 will fill the lower 2 slots.

Preludevenom
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by Preludevenom »

WOW !!! this si fantastic ! a 1/8 collection has to be very impressive to see :D congratulations :)

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Wow,these display cabinet must be really big.
Cant wait to see the pics from the finished M23.

regards Christian
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

Topic author
Zuff
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Wales

Post by Zuff »

OK, so now the MP4/23 is finished so the M23 can continue....so long as I can resist starting on the MP4/4 which goes in the 5th space!