Topic author
Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

F1 Retro Colours

Post by Shunter »

I found these the other day and thought there were some great looks, almost a trip down memory lane. It would be great to see some of these sponsors back on a modern looking car....
Let me know what you think your favourite is???
http://motorsportmodeller.blogspot.com.au/

Seiiki
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fangio
Canada

Re: F1 Retro Colours

Post by Seiiki »

Since sponsors didn't really get started until the late 60s/early 70s. Here are some of my absolute favourites: (Sorry I don't really have one over another.)

1. The Gold Leaf Lotus that started it all.
2. The classic Matra blue Tyrrell which continued with the "elf" sponsorship in the 70s.
3. One of the most iconic JPS on the black Lotus, Nothing is more classic than that.
4. One of the longest sponsor associations of the Golden Commercial Age of racing, the Marlin-boron with the Mclaren from 1974 to 1996. In particular with the "lights" with the "Yellow Rooftop" in 1986 Keke's MP4/2C.
5. Another national icon with the French Cigarettes (Start with a "G") on the patriotic blue cars of Ligiers.
6. One of the more interesting art work is the Cigarette girl from "Riz .." in a March car in the mid 70s.
7. Parmalat logos on the Brabham's Gordon Murray designs, no matter when it is with the Alfa Engine on red or Cosworth/BMW on blue, were just striking to look at.
8. Williams' colourscheme with the Saudia Air looked good on the white and dark green scheme. As well as the Honda/Renault engines era with the yellow, royal blue and white. For Canon/ICI/Mobil, then the "desert animal", and finally with the 'R ?"/Castrol combo which were very eye pleasing.
9. I have always liked the creativities of Bennetton, first as a sponsor, then as a team owner when they took over Toleman. A different colour scheme every year to their cars. My favourite is probably the flags on the 1985 Toleman-Hart and the United Colours of Benetton and the close second would be the colourful brush stroke of the 1986 Benetton-BMWs.
10. Not quite successful as cars but both the Arrows cars sponsored by "B-clay" (A9 looked like a Soviet Submarine) and the "E-bassy" & "C-field" Lolas (both by Graham Hill in the 70s and Lola BMS in 1993) were instant classic because the sponsors' scheme is so recognizable.
11. 7Up/Pepsi sponsorship of the Jordan 191. Park Green matched well with the sponsor and the Irish heritage of Jordan with the blue matching at the sidepods with Fuji Film. A very successful colour combinations.
12. Mclaren's Silver and Black homage to Mercedes' power and the "East" brand is also very classic and throwback to their 50s glory days under Fangio and Moss.
13. The creative "Bitten and Hisses" animal scheme in the Jordan from the Snake in 1997 to the Hornet in 1998 & 9 and finally to the Shark in 2000. Brilliant.
14. Modern day Red Bull sponsorships from Sauber to now. It is iconic with more exposure than ever in a winning car.
15. "M 7" sponsorship in the Benetton/Renault" are classic with the various colouring of the shades of blue reflecting the sponsors packaging worked well.
16. Wolf Racing midnight blue is very unique because shades of colour changes under various lighting conditions, despite lack of sponsors the gold colouring was a neat contrast as to the candy red Ferrari with the Marlin-boron white lettering in 2007.
Canice

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

This has come up before and is quite cool:

http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=20605

Its just a shame that the "base cars" are all the same rather than the occasional different detail.

hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by hquednau »

All these are better than all the current cars.

Howard

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

hquednau wrote:All these are better than all the current cars.

Howard
I was thinking the same thing myself. The simplicity of the Elf Tyrrell compared to the mess we see on cars today proves the old design adage "less is more" is certainly spot on when it comes to advertising on an F1 car.

Topic author
Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

generationx wrote:This has come up before and is quite cool:

http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=20605

Its just a shame that the "base cars" are all the same rather than the occasional different detail.
Sorry to have done the old double post, i did not recall seeing them.....Oh well for those who missed then the first time around. :D

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

The link gave me an idea. I re bought the Mclaren MP4/27 from Fujimi and going to give it a MP4/4 livery. No way i'm painting that car in chrome.

Best regards,
Lesley
Best regards,
Lesley

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

eyckles wrote:The link gave me an idea. I re bought the Mclaren MP4/27 from Fujimi and going to give it a MP4/4 livery. No way i'm painting that car in chrome.

Best regards,
Lesley
What a splendid idea and an act of defiance all in one! Sticks tonque out at Ron Dennis :P